Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > dbf repair

dbf repair

Basil Fawlty

Hi.

I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
program that could do it?

Desk Rabbit

Basil Fawlty wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
> it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
> program that could do it?

So this .DBF file would be?

a) dBASE II, III, III+, or IV database?
b) Abacus Law Data?
c) ACT! Main Database File?
d) Alpha Five Table Data File?
e) ArcView Shapefile Attribute Table File?
f) JetForm FormFlow Data File?
g) Just about anything else you can think of that might use a databse of
any description

Basil Fawlty

"Desk Rabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Basil Fawlty wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
>> it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
>> program that could do it?

> So this .DBF file would be?
>
> a) dBASE II, III, III+, or IV database?
> b) Abacus Law Data?
> c) ACT! Main Database File?
> d) Alpha Five Table Data File?
> e) ArcView Shapefile Attribute Table File?
> f) JetForm FormFlow Data File?
> g) Just about anything else you can think of that might use a databse of
> any description

Dunno, it's an old DOS file. I downloaded DBF Recovery and it opens the
file, but only rescues 25 records unless I pay the crooks 149 bucks. That's
too much for recovery of just one file.

Spuds

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:15:51 +0200, "Basil Fawlty" <nospam@****exxon.com>
wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
>it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
>program that could do it?

You could try this, although I have no personal experience with it.
http://www.s2services.com/dbf-tools.htm

If you don't mind going the torrent route, look for Office Recovery
Enterprise, which handles .dbf repair, among others.

Basil Fawlty

"Spuds" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:15:51 +0200, "Basil Fawlty" <nospam@****exxon.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi.
>>
>>I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
>>it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
>>program that could do it?

> You could try this, although I have no personal experience with it.
> http://www.s2services.com/dbf-tools.htm
>
> If you don't mind going the torrent route, look for Office Recovery
> Enterprise, which handles .dbf repair, among others.

Thanks for the link, I tried the 3 proggies but none of them worked. I'll
see if I can find Office Recovery.

Desk Rabbit

Basil Fawlty wrote:
> "Desk Rabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Basil Fawlty wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
>>> it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
>>> program that could do it?

>> So this .DBF file would be?
>>
>> a) dBASE II, III, III+, or IV database?
>> b) Abacus Law Data?
>> c) ACT! Main Database File?
>> d) Alpha Five Table Data File?
>> e) ArcView Shapefile Attribute Table File?
>> f) JetForm FormFlow Data File?
>> g) Just about anything else you can think of that might use a databse of
>> any description
>>

> Dunno, it's an old DOS file.

So how do you know it's corrupt if you don't even know what type of file
it is and what program opens it????

> file, but only rescues 25 records unless I pay the crooks 149 bucks.

Crooks???? They spends hours developing software to enable you to
recover your data in a few seconds and they dare to charge you for
that??? What is the world coming to?

Basil Fawlty

"Desk Rabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Basil Fawlty wrote:
>> "Desk Rabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> So this .DBF file would be?
>>>
>>> a) dBASE II, III, III+, or IV database?
>>> b) Abacus Law Data?
>>> c) ACT! Main Database File?
>>> d) Alpha Five Table Data File?
>>> e) ArcView Shapefile Attribute Table File?
>>> f) JetForm FormFlow Data File?
>>> g) Just about anything else you can think of that might use a databse of
>>> any description
>>>

>> Dunno, it's an old DOS file.

> So how do you know it's corrupt if you don't even know what type of file
> it is and what program opens it????

It is a file from an old adress database, it opens with a German prog called
"kunden.exe". The appl. hangs when trying to access the dbf file.

>> file, but only rescues 25 records unless I pay the crooks 149 bucks.

> Crooks???? They spends hours developing software to enable you to recover
> your data in a few seconds and they dare to charge you for that??? What is
> the world coming to?

Im a cheap bastard, OK?

Alfred

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:11:06 +0200, "Basil Fawlty"
<nospam@****exxon.com> wrote:

>"Desk Rabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Basil Fawlty wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
>>> it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
>>> program that could do it?

>> So this .DBF file would be?
>>
>> a) dBASE II, III, III+, or IV database?
>> b) Abacus Law Data?
>> c) ACT! Main Database File?
>> d) Alpha Five Table Data File?
>> e) ArcView Shapefile Attribute Table File?
>> f) JetForm FormFlow Data File?
>> g) Just about anything else you can think of that might use a databse of
>> any description
>>

>Dunno, it's an old DOS file. I downloaded DBF Recovery and it opens the
>file, but only rescues 25 records unless I pay the crooks 149 bucks. That's
>too much for recovery of just one file.

Try importing it into an MSaccess DB

Desk Rabbit

Basil Fawlty wrote:
> "Desk Rabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Basil Fawlty wrote:
>>> "Desk Rabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Dunno, it's an old DOS file.

>> So how do you know it's corrupt if you don't even know what type of file
>> it is and what program opens it????

> It is a file from an old adress database, it opens with a German prog called
> "kunden.exe". The appl. hangs when trying to access the dbf file.

So it could be a proprietry format which proably explains why some of
the other applications you tried failed to work.

Basil Fawlty

"Desk Rabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Basil Fawlty wrote:
>> "Desk Rabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> So how do you know it's corrupt if you don't even know what type of file
>>> it is and what program opens it????

>> It is a file from an old adress database, it opens with a German prog
>> called "kunden.exe". The appl. hangs when trying to access the dbf file.

> So it could be a proprietry format which proably explains why some of the
> other applications you tried failed to work.

Like I said, DBF-Recovery can read the file, but save only 25 records of it.