Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Please Can I Have Help Showing a Web Page Inside My Web Site

Please Can I Have Help Showing a Web Page Inside My Web Site

AshParr@gmail.com

Hi All,

i am currently designing a website for my hockey club, i was thinking
of showing the curent league table, fixtures & results.

Then i heard that you can somehow embed another webpage into my page,
so to cut down on the up-keep of the site i think this would really
help as the pages are automatically updated. One of the pages i am
trying to display is

http://www.mrha.co.uk/LeagueTables.a...1&divisionid=3

Im stuck on how to do it, any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance,

Ashley

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed). com>,

> Hi All,
>
> i am currently designing a website for my hockey club, i was thinking
> of showing the curent league table, fixtures & results.
>
> Then i heard that you can somehow embed another webpage into my page,
> so to cut down on the up-keep of the site i think this would really
> help as the pages are automatically updated. One of the pages i am
> trying to display is
>
> http://www.mrha.co.uk/LeagueTables.a...1&divisionid=3
>

> Im stuck on how to do it, any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Many Thanks in advance,
>
> Ashley

You can easily embed a slab of html code into any html file by
using "server side includes" or "php includes" (google up these).
This saves you from having to repeat a lot of code everywhere
(eg, menus that get repeated).

If you are wanting to get a whole webpage into another, you might
be thinking of the now outdated and not recommended technology of
HTML Frames. But you could be bold and go against the recommended
trends. Frames are very poor for bookmarking for users and have
other downsides. But they are fun! If you need a hand, give a
shout.

Automatic updating of a website is a very different and more
difficult ask. It mostly involves databases and php. Are you up
for this?

Why not get the basics right first. See:

<http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...%2F%2Fwww.mrha
..co.uk%2FLeagueTables.asp%3Fleagueid%3D1%26divisi onid%3D3>

You won't like this advice, I would be wary of your "Microsoft
Visual Studio 6.0"

Consider Textwrangler and

<http://www.htmldog.com/>

instead.

--
dorayme

AshParr@gmail.com

On Oct 22, 9:51 am, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hi All,

> > i am currently designing a website for my hockey club, i was thinking
> > of showing the curent league table, fixtures & results.

> > Then i heard that you can somehow embed another webpage into my page,
> > so to cut down on the up-keep of the site i think this would really
> > help as the pages are automatically updated. One of the pages i am
> > trying to display is

> >http://www.mrha.co.uk/LeagueTables.a...1&divisionid=3

> > Im stuck on how to do it, any help would be much appreciated.

> > Many Thanks in advance,

> > Ashley

> You can easily embed a slab of html code into any html file by
> using "server side includes" or "php includes" (google up these).
> This saves you from having to repeat a lot of code everywhere
> (eg, menus that get repeated).
>
> If you are wanting to get a whole webpage into another, you might
> be thinking of the now outdated and not recommended technology of
> HTML Frames. But you could be bold and go against the recommended
> trends. Frames are very poor for bookmarking for users and have
> other downsides. But they are fun! If you need a hand, give a
> shout.
>
> Automatic updating of a website is a very different and more
> difficult ask. It mostly involves databases and php. Are you up
> for this?
>
> Why not get the basics right first. See:
>
> <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...%2F%2Fwww.mrha
> .co.uk%2FLeagueTables.asp%3Fleagueid%3D1%26divisio nid%3D3>
>
> You won't like this advice, I would be wary of your "Microsoft
> Visual Studio 6.0"
>
> Consider Textwrangler and
>
> <http://www.htmldog.com/>
>
> instead.
>
> --
> dorayme- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the reply,

"You won't like this advice, I would be wary of your "Microsoft"
Visual Studio 6.0" " i havnt used this program.

i am not updating the page myself, the "mrha" group update there
website and i am just wanting to show that specific page inside one of
my pages, not using frames.

i have found this but dont really understand it

HTML:

<!--[if IE]> <object classid="clsid:
25336920-03F9-11CF-8FD0-00AA00686F13" data="some.html"> <p>backup
content</p> </object> <![endif]--> <!--[if !IE]> <--> <object
<!--> <![endif]-->

This worked like a charm, but in IE (both 6 and 7) it shows with an
ugly border and scrollbar, even though the content itself was less
than the width and height of the object element. It turned out that I
need to specify this in the included page:

HTML:

.... <body style="border:0;overflow:visible">

AshParr@gmail.com

On 22 Oct, 11:14, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Oct 22, 9:51 am, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > In article
> > <(E-Mail Removed). com>,

> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > > Hi All,

> > > i am currently designing a website for my hockey club, i was thinking
> > > of showing the curent league table, fixtures & results.

> > > Then i heard that you can somehow embed another webpage into my page,
> > > so to cut down on the up-keep of the site i think this would really
> > > help as the pages are automatically updated. One of the pages i am
> > > trying to display is

> > >http://www.mrha.co.uk/LeagueTables.a...1&divisionid=3

> > > Im stuck on how to do it, any help would be much appreciated.

> > > Many Thanks in advance,

> > > Ashley

> > You can easily embed a slab of html code into any html file by
> > using "server side includes" or "php includes" (google up these).
> > This saves you from having to repeat a lot of code everywhere
> > (eg, menus that get repeated).

> > If you are wanting to get a whole webpage into another, you might
> > be thinking of the now outdated and not recommended technology of
> > HTML Frames. But you could be bold and go against the recommended
> > trends. Frames are very poor for bookmarking for users and have
> > other downsides. But they are fun! If you need a hand, give a
> > shout.

> > Automatic updating of a website is a very different and more
> > difficult ask. It mostly involves databases and php. Are you up
> > for this?

> > Why not get the basics right first. See:

> > <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...%2F%2Fwww.mrha
> > .co.uk%2FLeagueTables.asp%3Fleagueid%3D1%26divisio nid%3D3>

> > You won't like this advice, I would be wary of your "Microsoft
> > Visual Studio 6.0"

> > Consider Textwrangler and

> > <http://www.htmldog.com/>

> > instead.

> > --
> > dorayme- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks for the reply,
>
> "You won't like this advice, I would be wary of your "Microsoft"
> Visual Studio 6.0" " i havnt used this program.
>
> i am not updating the page myself, the "mrha" group update there
> website and i am just wanting to show that specific page inside one of
> my pages, not using frames.
>
> i have found this but dont really understand it
>
> HTML:
>
> <!--[if IE]> <object classid="clsid:
> 25336920-03F9-11CF-8FD0-00AA00686F13" data="some.html"> <p>backup
> content</p> </object> <![endif]--> <!--[if !IE]> <--> <object
> <!--> <![endif]-->
>
> This worked like a charm, but in IE (both 6 and 7) it shows with an
> ugly border and scrollbar, even though the content itself was less
> than the width and height of the object element. It turned out that I
> need to specify this in the included page:
>
> HTML:
>
> .... <body style="border:0;overflow:visible">- Hide quoted text -

since i posted i also found this:

Show Website Within a Website:

<object data=http://www.web-source.net width="600" height="400">
<embed src=http://www.web-source.net width="600" height="400"> </
embed> Error: Embedded data could not be displayed. </object>

but i donot know how to configure this

David Dorward

On Oct 22, 11:23 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Show Website Within a Website:
>
> <object data=http://www.web-source.netwidth="600" height="400">

Browsers that support it treat it pretty much like an iframe, but it
has much worse support. Avoid.

> <embed src=http://www.web-source.netwidth="600" height="400"> </
> embed>

Invalid. Avoid.

> Error: Embedded data could not be displayed. </object>

Unhelpful alternative content. Avoid.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/

Bergamot

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> i am currently designing a website for my hockey club, i was thinking
> of showing the curent league table, fixtures & results.

I know what you're thinking, since I've done some web work for local
sports teams, too. The league keeps the schedules, scores and standings
on their own site. At first we tried duplicating it on our own site, but
it was too error prone. We finally just posted links to the league pages
that related to our team and left it at that.

> Then i heard that you can somehow embed another webpage into my page,

You can probably "embed" the pages from the league site using an iframe,
but you really must ask their permission before you do this. Otherwise
you are stealing their content and bandwidth. They might not like that.

--
Berg

AshParr@gmail.com

On Oct 22, 9:40 pm, Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > i am currently designing a website for my hockey club, i was thinking
> > of showing the curent league table, fixtures & results.

> I know what you're thinking, since I've done some web work for local
> sports teams, too. The league keeps the schedules, scores and standings
> on their own site. At first we tried duplicating it on our own site, but
> it was too error prone. We finally just posted links to the league pages
> that related to our team and left it at that.
>
> > Then i heard that you can somehow embed another webpage into my page,

> You can probably "embed" the pages from the league site using an iframe,
> but you really must ask their permission before you do this. Otherwise
> you are stealing their content and bandwidth. They might not like that.
>
> --
> Berg

Thankyou all for your responses,
later on i found information about iframes to and found that it does
what i want it to, are they not to be used? what are the affects if i
use them?

Bergamot

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> later on i found information about iframes to and found that it does
> what i want it to, are they not to be used? what are the affects if i
> use them?

Look up "frames are evil". iframes have pretty much the same problems,
but they do have their uses. Like I said, if you decide to put the
league pages in your site through iframes, get their permission first.

--
Berg

AshParr@gmail.com

> Look up "frames are evil". iframes have pretty much the same problems,
> but they do have their uses. Like I said, if you decide to put the
> league pages in your site through iframes, get their permission first.
>
> --
> Berg

Thankyou berg,

I have emailed the owners/administrators of the site explaining what i
want to do and is it possible for me to show their information.

I know that frames may not be the best answer in most cases but for
this i see no other alternative. I can either:
- Show data in Iframe
- Just allow the user links to there site
- Update all of the fixtures, results & league tables every week
(Massive work load & maintenance involved)

If they allow me to show their data then i cannot see a better way to
do so, unless im being a noob

Many Thanks,
Ash

Chaddy2222

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Look up "frames are evil". iframes have pretty much the same problems,
> > but they do have their uses. Like I said, if you decide to put the
> > league pages in your site through iframes, get their permission first.
> >
> > --
> > Berg

> Thankyou berg,
>
> I have emailed the owners/administrators of the site explaining what i
> want to do and is it possible for me to show their information.
>
> I know that frames may not be the best answer in most cases but for
> this i see no other alternative. I can either:
> - Show data in Iframe
> - Just allow the user links to there site
> - Update all of the fixtures, results & league tables every week
> (Massive work load & maintenance involved)
>
> If they allow me to show their data then i cannot see a better way to
> do so, unless im being a noob
>
> Many Thanks,
> Ash

You would probably be better off just linking to that page. Or just re-
write the data that you need.
--
Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.awardspace.biz