Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Please Can I Have Help Showing a Web Page Inside My Web Site

Please Can I Have Help Showing a Web Page Inside My Web Site

Bergamot

Chaddy2222 wrote:
> You would probably be better off just linking to that page. Or just re-
> write the data that you need.

You've apparently not worked on a sports team site before.
Rewriting the data can be a massive amount of work, and very error
prone. Linking to the league's site is OK, but the users really want the
info right there so they don't have to wade through the league site to
get what they want.

It would *really* be nice, though, if the league had something like an
RSS feed for each team and division. Then we could post updates on our
site as they became available and weed out what we don't want.

--
Berg

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Chaddy2222 wrote:
> > You would probably be better off just linking to that page. Or just re-
> > write the data that you need.

> You've apparently not worked on a sports team site before.
> Rewriting the data can be a massive amount of work, and very error
> prone. Linking to the league's site is OK, but the users really want the
> info right there so they don't have to wade through the league site to
> get what they want.
>
> It would *really* be nice, though, if the league had something like an
> RSS feed for each team and division. Then we could post updates on our
> site as they became available and weed out what we don't want.

If the league put in an id to the bit of the page with the
results and then a url could be fashioned that might help
pinpoint them easier. OP might consider asking for such small
insertions into the mark up of their pages (I have not looked if
they do or not)

and the url could be something like

/page.html#results

--
dorayme

AshParr@gmail.com

On Oct 24, 12:28 am, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Chaddy2222 wrote:
> > > You would probably be better off just linking to that page. Or just re-
> > > write the data that you need.

> > You've apparently not worked on a sports team site before.
> > Rewriting the data can be a massive amount of work, and very error
> > prone. Linking to the league's site is OK, but the users really want the
> > info right there so they don't have to wade through the league site to
> > get what they want.

> > It would *really* be nice, though, if the league had something like an
> > RSS feed for each team and division. Then we could post updates on our
> > site as they became available and weed out what we don't want.

> If the league put in an id to the bit of the page with the
> results and then a url could be fashioned that might help
> pinpoint them easier. OP might consider asking for such small
> insertions into the mark up of their pages (I have not looked if
> they do or not)

> and the url could be something like
>
> /page.html#results
>
> --
> dorayme

Cheers for all of the responses to my original post.

I have heard from the web administrator for the website and he said
its not a problem for me to do so. unfortuanatly they do not have rss
feeds but using iframes seem to do the trick

Many Thanks,

Ash

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed). com>,

> On Oct 24, 12:28 am, dorayme

> > If the league put in an id to the bit of the page with the
> > results and then a url could be fashioned that might help
> > pinpoint them easier. OP might consider asking for such small
> > insertions into the mark up of their pages (I have not looked if
> > they do or not)

> > and the url could be something like
> >
> > /page.html#results
> >

> Cheers for all of the responses to my original post.
>
> I have heard from the web administrator for the website and he said
> its not a problem for me to do so. unfortuanatly they do not have rss
> feeds but using iframes seem to do the trick

Well, fair enough. But if you run into any problems or can't be
bothered maintaining such a frames bases solution, consider the
idea of a more specific targeting of the sports results in a
simple link to their site which uses the "id" I mentioned. The
idea of linking into a sports site and your users having to find
the actual results is, presumably, a major put-off for you. But
if they can go more directly to the results, that would overcome
the problem. And they could go more directly if your cooperative
website administrator would put in an id at the top of the
relevant results on his pages.

--
dorayme