Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > hdd, something making sound didn't make before

hdd, something making sound didn't make before

geermeister@gmail.com

My laptop hdd or something sounds like it is working a little harder
than it did just before I dropped it. When it's working on something,
it makes the same noise in succession. It sounds like a buzzing "zud
zer on, zud zer on, zud zer on" until it stops working on whatever
it's working on. This is while I am doing things on it, then once
those things are done it stops.

I have used PC Doctor 5 for Windows to check out the hdd and the CPU.
The fan sounds normal.

I dropped the laptop about an inch on the left side of it to the desk
just before this started happening. It's an IBM Thinkpad R40. In case
this has any bearing, I also was having trouble with my ext hdd
software (BounceBack Express), which I upgraded and now it's working
fine.

chuckcar

news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com:

> My laptop hdd or something sounds like it is working a little harder
> than it did just before I dropped it. When it's working on something,
> it makes the same noise in succession. It sounds like a buzzing "zud
> zer on, zud zer on, zud zer on" until it stops working on whatever
> it's working on. This is while I am doing things on it, then once
> those things are done it stops.

Run a scandisk on that hard drive and check for bad sectors. If none
then don't worry about it and *don't* drop your computer again. Let this
be a lesson to you. You dropped your computer and it got louder to
remind you of it.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )