Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within

A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within

Tony Sperling

You can keep squeezing the lemon and you'll be sure to produce a few more
drops of juice, but I doubt any of them will tell you anything much that you
didn't know or suspect already.

Reading back, it hits me yet again how Charlie's 'First Impressions' are
often on the spot. It's almost a bit creepy? - But there you go!

Last question - you aren't using too much cooler paste, by any chance?

Tony. . .

"Jamie Plenderleith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Another update;
>
> The nth reinstallation of Vista did not succeed. Same issues. Even when
> using msconfig and only loading the bare essentials.
>
> I tried installed Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 64bit. That is also
> restarting/crashing the machine. This would lead me to believe it's
> hardware
> related.
>

> Machine crashes with older or brand new PSU.
> I'm using the same graphics card from before I put in this motherboard, so
> it's known to be good.
> I've tried swapping out the RAM, and it still crashes.
> Memtest86 runs without crashing and without failing.
>
> So it must be motherboard or cpu... unless anyone else has any thoughts?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Well, I have spent all my adult life, nearly, being a troubleshooter of one
sort or another. It's a mind set as much as a discipline, and involves being
able to focus on what's important and what is just noise. But yes, it's mobo
or cpu, or the two together. Given the overall likelihood of failure or
issue, I'd ALWAYS opt for the mobo first. Think about it. There are how many
parts, how many solder connections (no matter how automated the soldering,
it's still solder!), and how many traces? Apply too much pressure during the
installation of any part, and you create a tiny hairline crack in a trace or
break a solder connection. Not enough for an absolute failure, but enough
that when everything warms up and it expands, even just a little, the gap
gets bigger.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Tony Sperling mail.dk>" <tony.sperling@db<REMOVE> wrote in message
news:%23jN$$o$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can keep squeezing the lemon and you'll be sure to produce a few more
> drops of juice, but I doubt any of them will tell you anything much that
> you didn't know or suspect already.
>
> Reading back, it hits me yet again how Charlie's 'First Impressions' are
> often on the spot. It's almost a bit creepy? - But there you go!
>
> Last question - you aren't using too much cooler paste, by any chance?
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Jamie Plenderleith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Another update;
>>
>> The nth reinstallation of Vista did not succeed. Same issues. Even when
>> using msconfig and only loading the bare essentials.
>>
>> I tried installed Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 64bit. That is also
>> restarting/crashing the machine. This would lead me to believe it's
>> hardware
>> related.
>>

>> Machine crashes with older or brand new PSU.
>> I'm using the same graphics card from before I put in this motherboard,
>> so
>> it's known to be good.
>> I've tried swapping out the RAM, and it still crashes.
>> Memtest86 runs without crashing and without failing.
>>
>> So it must be motherboard or cpu... unless anyone else has any thoughts?

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtaWUgUGxlbmRlcmxlaXRo?=

Well you're pretty much on the mark I'd say.

I swapped out the 64bit cpu with a P4 3GHz 32bit CPU I had lying around,
stuck on Vista 32bit, and it's working fine. So it's the CPU or the
CPU&Motherboard combination!