Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Book or trial and error?

Book or trial and error?

Brian Robertson

I just wanted to ask what everyone thinks on here about the best way to
learn CSS. Obviously what works for one person might not for another, so
I know there isn't a definitive answer, but would be interesting to hear
opinions.

Is it easier to learn CSS from a book or from taking an existing page to
pieces and trying to adapt it to your own purposes while learning what
makes it tick?

Brian.

rf

"Brian Robertson" <brian@[nospam].com> wrote in message
news:43HSi.24090$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just wanted to ask what everyone thinks on here about the best way to
>learn CSS. Obviously what works for one person might not for another, so I
>know there isn't a definitive answer, but would be interesting to hear
>opinions.
>
> Is it easier to learn CSS from a book or from taking an existing page to
> pieces and trying to adapt it to your own purposes while learning what
> makes it tick?

Read the specifications:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/

Play afterwards.

--
Richard.

John

"Brian Robertson" <brian@[nospam].com> wrote in message
news:43HSi.24090$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just wanted to ask what everyone thinks on here about the best way to
>learn CSS. Obviously what works for one person might not for another, so I
>know there isn't a definitive answer, but would be interesting to hear
>opinions.
>
> Is it easier to learn CSS from a book or from taking an existing page to
> pieces and trying to adapt it to your own purposes while learning what
> makes it tick?
>
> Brian.

Go to ebay and get a CD/DVD movie tutorial.

Regards
John

Brian Robertson

John wrote:
> "Brian Robertson" <brian@[nospam].com> wrote in message
> news:43HSi.24090$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I just wanted to ask what everyone thinks on here about the best way to
>> learn CSS. Obviously what works for one person might not for another, so I
>> know there isn't a definitive answer, but would be interesting to hear
>> opinions.
>>
>> Is it easier to learn CSS from a book or from taking an existing page to
>> pieces and trying to adapt it to your own purposes while learning what
>> makes it tick?
>>
>> Brian.

> Go to ebay and get a CD/DVD movie tutorial.
>
> Regards
> John

Time is the enemy with me. I just don't have enough time to sit down and
study something. I bought a book a few weeks ago that is ok and I
regularly buy a mag that includes tutorials, but I have learnt more this
morning from just taking a website template to pieces and seeing how it
works.

The other problem I have - time based again - is that I learn something
and then it is so long before I get to use it that I have forgotten it
again!

Brian.

Safalra (Stephen Morley)

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:07:17 GMT, rf wrote:
> "Brian Robertson" <brian@[nospam].com> wrote in message
> news:43HSi.24090$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I just wanted to ask what everyone thinks on here about the best way to
>> learn CSS.
>> [...]

> Read the specifications:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/

I think that's definitely the best approach. The CSS specification is very
readable - if only all specifications were as clear. It also helps to have
a reference on browser bugs to hand - for example:

http://www.positioniseverything.net/

--
Safalra (Stephen Morley)

Sortable Tables In JavaScript:
http://www.safalra.com/web-design/ja...rtable-tables/

William Gill

Brian Robertson wrote:

> The other problem I have - time based again - is that I learn something
> and then it is so long before I get to use it that I have forgotten it
> again!

This is a critical necessity with me (I have a closed head injury from a
55 mph head-on) so it's important that anything learned is correct the
first time. That means validate all html and css whenever you do your
trial and error. I have had some very strange and (almost) untraceable
results, that were the result of a minor typo, not a logic/understanding
error. Unfortunately, not catching the problem through religiously
validation, caused me to "learn" things that were wrong, that later had
to be un-learned. If time is of the essence, the few seconds it takes
to validate are well worth the investment.

still me

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 15:02:33 +0100, "Safalra (Stephen Morley)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I think that's definitely the best approach. The CSS specification is very
>readable - if only all specifications were as clear. It also helps to have
>a reference on browser bugs to hand - for example:
>
>http://www.positioniseverything.net/

I disagree. Unless you are familiar with reading those specs and/or
the subject area, reading a specification (any, and certainly this
one) is a prescription for frustration and slow learning for 999/1000
learners. There's a lot of noise and tech talk that will confuddle the
average learner.

But, everyone has different learning styles. Some folks do best by
reading a book. Some work best when instructor led (classroom or
CD/DVD). Some learn best by immersion - just grab a couple samples and
then try to get a job done... hunt as needed for more info. And a few
work best by simply reading a specification and then jumping in.

I'd suggest that whatever learning style has worked most efficiently
and comfortably for the OP in the past is no doubt the way he tends to
learn - and the best choice here.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Brian Robertson:

> Time is the enemy with me. I just don't have enough time to sit down
> and study something.

Then don't do CSS, m'kay? I don't have enough time to learn surgery, so I
leave it to others, instead of trying to exercise it without mastering it.
CSS is somewhat easier to learn than surgery, but your lack of time does not
magically turn it to simpler than it is.

> I bought a book a few weeks ago that is ok and I
> regularly buy a mag that includes tutorials, but I have learnt more
> this morning from just taking a website template to pieces and seeing
> how it works.

You don't see how it works. In a pretty common scenario, you just see how a
crappy CSS implementation (that spells "IE") mishandles lousy CSS code
(which is what you mostly get when you view random pages) today in "Quirks"
mode.

There are lots of good tutorials on CSS, and of course even many more poor
tutorials and guides. A quick test: when the tutorial first mentions setting
color or background, does it emphasize that you should always set color and
background together? If not, find a better tutorial. Also check whether it
has a section on cascade. (That's the "C" in "CSS". You can't avoid
encountering its effects, so you should not try to avoid understanding it,
no matter how complicated it may sound on first encounter.)

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 21 Oct 2007 13:52:56
GMT Brian Robertson scribed:

> The other problem I have - time based again - is that I learn
> something and then it is so long before I get to use it that I have
> forgotten it again!

There's a simple fix for that. Whenever you learn something, tell your
girlfriend/wife/significant squeeze it reminds you of your relationship
with her. She'll be talking about it for years...

--
Neredbojias

The 16th century French satirical writer François Rabelais in his series of
novels Gargantua and Pantagruel, discussing the various ways of cleansing
oneself at the toilet, wrote that: "He who uses paper on his filthy bum,
will always find his ballocks lined with scum"

dorayme

In article <sLLSi.240963$(E-Mail Removed) >,
"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Scripsit Brian Robertson:
>
> > Time is the enemy with me. I just don't have enough time to sit down
> > and study something.

> Then don't do CSS, m'kay?

If OP does find time, perhaps he could read:

Cascading Style Sheets, designing for the Web, by Hċkon Wium Lie
and Bert Bos (2nd ed., 1999, Addison Wesley, ISBN 0-201-59625-3)

Here is a snippet on line:

<http://www.w3.org/Style/LieBos2e/enter/>

--
dorayme