Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > PC WILL NOT SWITCH OFF!

PC WILL NOT SWITCH OFF!

BENAGLIA

Morning to you all. Got my Vist x64 system working as I wanted and all well until yesterday. All of a sudden on switching off it will restart and I haven't been able to figure out why. I have not changed any settings and the only way to keep it switched off is to use the main power switch of the pc. Anyone has any idea on the problem?
System is:
M/board Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Intel Core 2 6600 @ 2.40 GHz
Vista Business 64 bit
Thanks for any help.
AndyB

Tom Ferguson

The power option settings in Control Panel are probably set to put the
system in standby when you press the power button on the case. Either
change the setting or hold the button in for a few seconds when you want
to switch off. Alternately, use the Start button on the lower left of
your monitor to switch off.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"BENAGLIA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Morning to you all. Got my Vist x64 system working as I wanted and all
well until yesterday. All of a sudden on switching off it will restart
and I haven't been able to figure out why. I have not changed any
settings and the only way to keep it switched off is to use the main
power switch of the pc. Anyone has any idea on the problem?
System is:
M/board Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Intel Core 2 6600 @ 2.40 GHz
Vista Business 64 bit
Thanks for any help.
AndyB

Gary J. Dikkema

I have a box with a similar problem although it has worked at times - for a
very short time - but I made a Bios change and now it doesn't regardless of
OS.

I've got W2k8 RC0 on it now but it's has WXP X64, WXP X86, W2k3 R2 X64 and
Cougar Beta and all of them have had the same problem.

So on Shutdown I watch it go text mode and trip off the rocker switch on the
back of the power supply.

If anyone has a fix for this I'd be interested.

The mobo is an Asus M2NPV-VM with the latest Bios which support Viridian...
otherwise this puppy rocks!

TIA.

Gary

"Tom Ferguson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O1D2Vz%(E-Mail Removed)...
> The power option settings in Control Panel are probably set to put the
> system in standby when you press the power button on the case. Either
> change the setting or hold the button in for a few seconds when you want
> to switch off. Alternately, use the Start button on the lower left of your
> monitor to switch off.
>
> Tom
> MSMVP 1998-2007
>
> "BENAGLIA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Morning to you all. Got my Vist x64 system working as I wanted and all
> well until yesterday. All of a sudden on switching off it will restart and
> I haven't been able to figure out why. I have not changed any settings and
> the only way to keep it switched off is to use the main power switch of
> the pc. Anyone has any idea on the problem?
> System is:
> M/board Asus P5W DH Deluxe
> Intel Core 2 6600 @ 2.40 GHz
> Vista Business 64 bit
> Thanks for any help.
> AndyB

Dominic Payer

There is a system error at shutdown and the system is set to automatically
restart.

The Event Log will show what the error was and you can set the machine not
to automatically restart in Advanced System Properties. This will show you a
blue screen with details of the error instead of restarting the system.

"Gary J. Dikkema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a box with a similar problem although it has worked at times - for a
>very short time - but I made a Bios change and now it doesn't regardless of
>OS.
>
> I've got W2k8 RC0 on it now but it's has WXP X64, WXP X86, W2k3 R2 X64 and
> Cougar Beta and all of them have had the same problem.
>
> So on Shutdown I watch it go text mode and trip off the rocker switch on
> the back of the power supply.
>
> If anyone has a fix for this I'd be interested.
>
> The mobo is an Asus M2NPV-VM with the latest Bios which support
> Viridian... otherwise this puppy rocks!
>
> TIA.
>
> Gary
>

> "Tom Ferguson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:O1D2Vz%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The power option settings in Control Panel are probably set to put the
>> system in standby when you press the power button on the case. Either
>> change the setting or hold the button in for a few seconds when you want
>> to switch off. Alternately, use the Start button on the lower left of
>> your monitor to switch off.
>>
>> Tom
>> MSMVP 1998-2007
>>
>> "BENAGLIA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Morning to you all. Got my Vist x64 system working as I wanted and all
>> well until yesterday. All of a sudden on switching off it will restart
>> and I haven't been able to figure out why. I have not changed any
>> settings and the only way to keep it switched off is to use the main
>> power switch of the pc. Anyone has any idea on the problem?
>> System is:
>> M/board Asus P5W DH Deluxe
>> Intel Core 2 6600 @ 2.40 GHz
>> Vista Business 64 bit
>> Thanks for any help.
>> AndyB

John Barnes

You may not have changed any settings, but odds are you did something, new hardware and drivers, certain programs installed, etc. Think about what you did. You may try using a restore point BEFORE the problem, and if it doesn't fix things, reverse the process.