Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > deleting newsgroup messages

deleting newsgroup messages

hedding

I am trying out Thunderbird for the newsgroup. My problem is that when I
read all the posts, I mark them as read, and they still remain in the
window. They don't delete, and there is no way to delete them. How do I
get them to delete?

Thanks, Windy

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

hedding wrote:
> I am trying out Thunderbird for the newsgroup. My problem is that when I
> read all the posts, I mark them as read, and they still remain in the
> window. They don't delete, and there is no way to delete them. How do I
> get them to delete?
>
> Thanks, Windy

of course they don't get deleted, because they're not on
your computer, they're on the news server. If you don't
want to see them, then click on View, Messages, Unread.

disregarded!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Rom

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 21:39:42 -0700, hedding wrote:

> I am trying out Thunderbird for the newsgroup. My problem is that when I
> read all the posts, I mark them as read, and they still remain in the
> window. They don't delete, and there is no way to delete them. How do I
> get them to delete?

For news server(s):

Right-click on the news server in the folder/group pane
OR
Tools > Account Settings > <News Server name> > Offline & Disk Space

--Disk Space--

To recover disk space, old messages can be permanently deleted

[x] Always delete read messages

Leave the group and next time you reenter the group, the read
headers/messages should be deleted.

For group(s):

Right-click on the group in the folder/group pane and open properties,
then check the same setting as above on the Retention Policy tab.

--
Rom

jess39teacher@whatmail.com

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 21:39:42 -0700, "hedding" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I am trying out Thunderbird for the newsgroup. My problem is that when I
>read all the posts, I mark them as read, and they still remain in the
>window. They don't delete, and there is no way to delete them. How do I
>get them to delete?
>
>Thanks, Windy

From what I see, you CAN NOT delete them. It says something to the
effect "you are not the message sender and can not delete it". This
is just one of many reasons I tried Thunderbird and after only a few
hours of playing with it I removed it from my computer. I have used
Agent for years, and just wanted to give Thunderbird a try. It's
extremely weak compared to Agent, and I am using an old version of
Agent. Obviously it can nto delete them from the server, but I just
wanted to delete them from my own cache of the messages. I did read
what others said, and yes, you can mark them read, but to me that's
far too many steps and very lacking in features. When I hit the DEL
key in Agent, the message is gone for good. Thats the way it should
be. It's not unusual for some spammer to fill a newsgroup with 20
spams, and when I want them off my screen, I expect them gone. I'll
stick with Agent for the news. Mozilla had a great browser (Firefox),
but their newsreader sucks. I did not even try the email features of
Thunderbird since my email software is fine. So, my comments only
reflect the newsgroup part.

Invisible Man

> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 21:39:42 -0700, "hedding" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> I am trying out Thunderbird for the newsgroup. My problem is that when I
>> read all the posts, I mark them as read, and they still remain in the
>> window. They don't delete, and there is no way to delete them. How do I
>> get them to delete?
>>
>> Thanks, Windy
>>

> From what I see, you CAN NOT delete them. It says something to the
> effect "you are not the message sender and can not delete it". This
> is just one of many reasons I tried Thunderbird and after only a few
> hours of playing with it I removed it from my computer. I have used
> Agent for years, and just wanted to give Thunderbird a try. It's
> extremely weak compared to Agent, and I am using an old version of
> Agent. Obviously it can nto delete them from the server, but I just
> wanted to delete them from my own cache of the messages. I did read
> what others said, and yes, you can mark them read, but to me that's
> far too many steps and very lacking in features. When I hit the DEL
> key in Agent, the message is gone for good. Thats the way it should
> be. It's not unusual for some spammer to fill a newsgroup with 20
> spams, and when I want them off my screen, I expect them gone. I'll
> stick with Agent for the news. Mozilla had a great browser (Firefox),
> but their newsreader sucks. I did not even try the email features of
> Thunderbird since my email software is fine. So, my comments only
> reflect the newsgroup part.

From toolbar. View, Threads, Unread

Ralph Fox

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 00:58:36 -0500, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> From what I see, you CAN NOT delete them. It says something to the
> effect "you are not the message sender and can not delete it".

In Thunderbird, the DEL key is the command to _cancel_ a message.

When you try to _cancel_ someone else's message in Agent, you will
see a very similar error: "You may not cancel a usenet message that
you did not post."

> This
> is just one of many reasons I tried Thunderbird and after only a few
> hours of playing with it I removed it from my computer. I have used
> Agent for years, and just wanted to give Thunderbird a try. It's
> extremely weak compared to Agent, and I am using an old version of
> Agent. Obviously it can nto delete them from the server, but I just
> wanted to delete them from my own cache of the messages.

By default, Thunderbird does not have a cache of messages.
Agent does, but Thunderbird is not Agent.

Agent and Thunderbird are fundamentally two different types of
news readers.

1) Agent's default mode of operation is like an off-line reader.
a. Once a message is downloaded, it stays in your local message
store and can be read without downloading it again.
b. You have to specifically request a message to be downloaded
(this stops you accidentally filling your local message store).
Simply selecting a message in the message list pane is not
enough to download it.
c. You can keep specific messages in the newsgroup indefinitely,
well beyond the point where they are no longer on the server.

2) Thunderbird's default mode of operation is like an on-line reader.
a. By default, messages are not stored in your local message store.
b. You select a message, Thunderbird automatically downloads it so
that you can read it. You de-select the message (say by
selecting a different message instead) and the first message's
body is immediately purged from your PC. You select the first
message again, and Thunderbird downloads it again.
c. If you want to keep a message, you drag it from the newsgroup
into a folder.

Agent and Thunderbird have two entirely different models of operation.
Whichever reader you use, you are going to have to adapt to using its
model of operation.

Thunderbird does have a setting to allow off-line reading, but it is
not the default behaviour -- you have to specially configure Thunderbird
to download messages into local data storage for off-line reading.

--
Cheers,
Ralph