Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Vista & connecting to wireless router

Vista & connecting to wireless router

Jerry West

I have a new HP laptop running Windows Vista. My Linksys AP router is set at
default settings except for the SSID and the SSID broadcast feature. With
broadcasting turned on I have no trouble connecting to the router. If I turn
off broadcasting I cannot connect to the router. Using the config screen for
manually connecting to the router I enter the proper SSID. Vista tells me
that the SSID is already configured on the computer and do I want to use
that connection. I say yes and then I'm told it cannot connect. Of course,
if I turn broadcasting back on I connect effortlessly.

Obviously, the goal here is to have the AP router SSID broadcasting turned
off and the laptop connect to this router without any intervention from me.
Is this not possible?

JW

Barb Bowman

Why? Turning the broadcast off really isn't going to protect you
from someone who really wants to access your network. If you use
WPA2 (or at least WPA with a strong random passphrase that can't be
broken with a dictionary attack), you should be very safe.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb726942.aspx as
well.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Jerry West

Doing so does have value in as much as it prevents the casual neighborhood
user from connecting to the router. For example, my neighbors often see a
list of available, unsecured networks and simply choose one from the list to
connect to. If mine isn't in their list they aren't aware of me and do not
connect. It is just this situation that I was wanting to prevent. I can do
so quickly by turning off broadcasting. This works great for a Gateway
laptop I have but doesn't for the HP Vista laptop. I was hoping to
understand why. I realize I can simply turn on WEP and likely will. I still
would like to understand why it doesn't work in Vista. If someone knows
please do share!

JW

"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why? Turning the broadcast off really isn't going to protect you
> from someone who really wants to access your network. If you use
> WPA2 (or at least WPA with a strong random passphrase that can't be
> broken with a dictionary attack), you should be very safe.
>
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:43:06 -0700, "Jerry West" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Obviously, the goal here is to have the AP router SSID broadcasting turned
>>off and the laptop connect to this router without any intervention from
>>me.
>>Is this not possible?

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Pavel A.

Try to find this "already configured" profile and delete it.
Open _Manage wireless networks_ - is it visible there?

--PA

"Jerry West" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Doing so does have value in as much as it prevents the casual neighborhood user from connecting to the router. For example, my
> neighbors often see a list of available, unsecured networks and simply choose one from the list to connect to. If mine isn't
> in their list they aren't aware of me and do not connect. It is just this situation that I was wanting to prevent. I can do so
> quickly by turning off broadcasting. This works great for a Gateway laptop I have but doesn't for the HP Vista laptop. I was
> hoping to understand why. I realize I can simply turn on WEP and likely will. I still would like to understand why it doesn't
> work in Vista. If someone knows please do share!
>
> JW
>
> "Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Why? Turning the broadcast off really isn't going to protect you
>> from someone who really wants to access your network. If you use
>> WPA2 (or at least WPA with a strong random passphrase that can't be
>> broken with a dictionary attack), you should be very safe.
>>
>> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:43:06 -0700, "Jerry West" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Obviously, the goal here is to have the AP router SSID broadcasting turned
>>>off and the laptop connect to this router without any intervention from me.
>>>Is this not possible?

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Al Dunbar

"Jerry West" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Doing so does have value in as much as it prevents the casual neighborhood
> user from connecting to the router. For example, my neighbors often see a
> list of available, unsecured networks and simply choose one from the list
> to connect to. If mine isn't in their list they aren't aware of me and do
> not connect. It is just this situation that I was wanting to prevent. I
> can do so quickly by turning off broadcasting. This works great for a
> Gateway laptop I have but doesn't for the HP Vista laptop. I was hoping to
> understand why. I realize I can simply turn on WEP and likely will.

ACK! or rather NAK! Not only is turning off broadcasting the SSID *not* a
security feature; not enabling *any* security protocol such as WEP (or
better still WAP2) is a security *vulnerability*.

/Al

> I still would like to understand why it doesn't work in Vista. If
> someone knows please do share!
>
> JW
>
> "Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Why? Turning the broadcast off really isn't going to protect you
>> from someone who really wants to access your network. If you use
>> WPA2 (or at least WPA with a strong random passphrase that can't be
>> broken with a dictionary attack), you should be very safe.
>>
>> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:43:06 -0700, "Jerry West" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Obviously, the goal here is to have the AP router SSID broadcasting
>>>turned
>>>off and the laptop connect to this router without any intervention from
>>>me.
>>>Is this not possible?

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Security is Not just a matter of a neighbor leeching to your connection and
stealing few Mb/sec, of bandwidth.
If you do not use encryption your Wireless is transmitted in clear, thus
people can sniff the traffic and get personal sensitive info and you would
not even know.
From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.

No Security
WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).

your Wireless hardware.

phrase.

of one of the Wireless devices.

device with a better one.

http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Jerry West" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a new HP laptop running Windows Vista. My Linksys AP router is set
>at default settings except for the SSID and the SSID broadcast feature.
>With broadcasting turned on I have no trouble connecting to the router. If
>I turn off broadcasting I cannot connect to the router. Using the config
>screen for manually connecting to the router I enter the proper SSID. Vista
>tells me that the SSID is already configured on the computer and do I want
>to use that connection. I say yes and then I'm told it cannot connect. Of
>course, if I turn broadcasting back on I connect effortlessly.
>
> Obviously, the goal here is to have the AP router SSID broadcasting turned
> off and the laptop connect to this router without any intervention from
> me. Is this not possible?
>
> JW

Barb Bowman

WEP can be broken in the time it takes to read this thread.

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 14:32:59 -0700, "Jerry West" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Doing so does have value in as much as it prevents the casual neighborhood
>user from connecting to the router. For example, my neighbors often see a
>list of available, unsecured networks and simply choose one from the list to
>connect to. If mine isn't in their list they aren't aware of me and do not
>connect. It is just this situation that I was wanting to prevent. I can do
>so quickly by turning off broadcasting. This works great for a Gateway
>laptop I have but doesn't for the HP Vista laptop. I was hoping to
>understand why. I realize I can simply turn on WEP and likely will. I still
>would like to understand why it doesn't work in Vista. If someone knows
>please do share!
>
>JW
>
>"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Why? Turning the broadcast off really isn't going to protect you
>> from someone who really wants to access your network. If you use
>> WPA2 (or at least WPA with a strong random passphrase that can't be
>> broken with a dictionary attack), you should be very safe.
>>
>> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:43:06 -0700, "Jerry West" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Obviously, the goal here is to have the AP router SSID broadcasting turned
>>>off and the laptop connect to this router without any intervention from
>>>me.
>>>Is this not possible?

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Al Dunbar

Further to Jack's comments, it should be noted that it is possible for some
equipment that comes WEP-only to be upgraded to WPA, so don't throw any
equipment out before checking into this possibility.

/Al

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Security is Not just a matter of a neighbor leeching to your connection
> and stealing few Mb/sec, of bandwidth.
> If you do not use encryption your Wireless is transmitted in clear, thus
> people can sniff the traffic and get personal sensitive info and you would
> not even know.
> From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
>
> No Security
> MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
> WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
> WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
> WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
> WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
> WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
>
> Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
>
> Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to download
> the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
>
> The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
> Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
> your Wireless hardware.
>
> All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
> phrase.
>
> Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
> possible of one of the Wireless devices.
>
> I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
> max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max .
> of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
>
> If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that
> can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace
> the device with a better one.
>
> Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
>
> The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
> http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Jerry West" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a new HP laptop running Windows Vista. My Linksys AP router is set
>>at default settings except for the SSID and the SSID broadcast feature.
>>With broadcasting turned on I have no trouble connecting to the router. If
>>I turn off broadcasting I cannot connect to the router. Using the config
>>screen for manually connecting to the router I enter the proper SSID.
>>Vista tells me that the SSID is already configured on the computer and do
>>I want to use that connection. I say yes and then I'm told it cannot
>>connect. Of course, if I turn broadcasting back on I connect effortlessly.
>>
>> Obviously, the goal here is to have the AP router SSID broadcasting
>> turned off and the laptop connect to this router without any intervention
>> from me. Is this not possible?
>>
>> JW

=?Utf-8?B?SGVscE5lZWRlZDMxMA==?=

What a HORRIBLE response. He asked how can he have his SSID broadcasting
turned off and still have his PC running Vista connect to the internet.

Why should you care about the reason?

Does MVP mean that you only answer questions based on what you would use a
function for?