Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Laptop & Domains

Laptop & Domains

=?Utf-8?B?RnVubmVsbA==?=

I use my laptop at work and connect using a cable. I then bring it home and
it connects to the internet via the wireless router/modemwith no problems.
However, it can't see my PC, which is connected to the wireless router/modem
with an ethernet cable.

When i try to run the network setup wizard on the laptop it tells me that
the laptop is a member of a domain, and wont let me go any further.

Dave

"Funnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I use my laptop at work and connect using a cable. I then bring it home and
> it connects to the internet via the wireless router/modemwith no problems.
> However, it can't see my PC, which is connected to the wireless
> router/modem
> with an ethernet cable.
>
> When i try to run the network setup wizard on the laptop it tells me that
> the laptop is a member of a domain, and wont let me go any further.

whew! glad it is smart enough to stop you from doing something bad... or the
next question would be how to get it back on the domain, which you can't do
without begging your network people at the office to let you back.

Malke

Funnell wrote:

> I use my laptop at work and connect using a cable. I then bring it
> home and it connects to the internet via the wireless router/modemwith
> no problems. However, it can't see my PC, which is connected to the
> wireless router/modem with an ethernet cable.
>
> When i try to run the network setup wizard on the laptop it tells me
> that the laptop is a member of a domain, and wont let me go any
> further.

From MVP Lanwench:

Note - you don't need to change to a workgroup just to access resources
on it. You shouldn't play with your laptop's network settings at all.
Once you've logged in using your domain account (using cached
credentials), and have an IP address on the home network, you can map
drives, use printers, whatnot, very easily - one way, in a command
line:

net use x: \\computername\sharename /user:computername\username <enter>

Also see:

MS KB article about the Net Use command - http://tinyurl.com/3bpnj

Managing One Windows XP-based Laptop for the Office and Home by MVP
Charlie Russel
http://tinyurl.com/cpy9q

http://winhlp.com/wxdomainworkgroup.htm - MVP Hans-Georg Michna

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

=?Utf-8?B?RnVubmVsbA==?=

"Malke" wrote:

> Funnell wrote:
>
> > I use my laptop at work and connect using a cable. I then bring it
> > home and it connects to the internet via the wireless router/modemwith
> > no problems. However, it can't see my PC, which is connected to the
> > wireless router/modem with an ethernet cable.
> >
> > When i try to run the network setup wizard on the laptop it tells me
> > that the laptop is a member of a domain, and wont let me go any
> > further.

> From MVP Lanwench:
>
> Note - you don't need to change to a workgroup just to access resources
> on it. You shouldn't play with your laptop's network settings at all.
> Once you've logged in using your domain account (using cached
> credentials), and have an IP address on the home network, you can map
> drives, use printers, whatnot, very easily - one way, in a command
> line:
>
> net use x: \\computername\sharename /user:computername\username <enter>
>
> Also see:
>
> MS KB article about the Net Use command - http://tinyurl.com/3bpnj
>
> Managing One Windows XP-based Laptop for the Office and Home by MVP
> Charlie Russel
> http://tinyurl.com/cpy9q
>
> http://winhlp.com/wxdomainworkgroup.htm - MVP Hans-Georg Michna
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thanks, but I'm not confident enough to use the net use command and don't
understand the context. If my PC is called Funnell is that the computername?
and what is the sharename and username?

Nick funnell

Malke

Funnell wrote:

>> Managing One Windows XP-based Laptop for the Office and Home by MVP
>> Charlie Russel
>> http://tinyurl.com/cpy9q
>>
>> http://winhlp.com/wxdomainworkgroup.htm - MVP Hans-Georg Michna

> Thanks, but I'm not confident enough to use the net use command and
> don't understand the context. If my PC is called Funnell is that the
> computername? and what is the sharename and username?

Read the articles by Charlies Russel and Hans-Georg Michna then. They
are very clear and easy to follow.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obg==?=

ahhh.......you have to take it off the domain before you can add it to a
workgroup which is what your other pc is on for it to be able to see it.