Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > B&H settles discrimination suit, agrees to pay $4.3 million

B&H settles discrimination suit, agrees to pay $4.3 million

William Graham

"Charlie Self" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> On Oct 25, 6:31 pm, "William Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Direct mail has actually taken a real nosedive since the 2001 anthrax
>> > panic. People just stopped opening them, and response collapsed.

>> Well, you'd never know it to look in my mailbox....Easily 2/3 of my mail
>> by
>> weight is ads for useless stuff that I never need, and would never buy in
>> million years. I bet they cut down one rainforest tree every year just
>> for
>> my household. I never complain about the e-mail spam I get....I even look
>> through it to make sure there isn't something I might need in it, and
>> certainly never delete it out of hand.....

> Rain forest trees don't make good paper. Only recently has wood pulp
> from ANY hardwood become acceptable in the process. Almost all paper
> is made from pine, fir, hemlock, or tulip poplar these days.
>
> The guy with the Ipe deck is the one who cost the rain forest a tree
> or two.

Well, most of the ones I have had/seen were redwood, but I don't think the
one I have now is.....I don't know, but I think it might be cedar......My
friend about 20 miles South of here has a new one made out of some kind of
plastic that imitates wood, but I don't know what the ecological
significance of that is either.....It might cost the ecology more in
petroleum than wood does.....

William Graham

"Charlie Self" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On Oct 25, 10:16 pm, "William Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Pudentame" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:47213b68$0$20586$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Most of the crap that comes to my mailbox is open flyers like the crap
>> > that comes in the middle of the Sunday newspaper; nothing sealed up
>> > that
>> > anthrax could hide in ... except for the credit card offers.

>> > I keep the recycling bin right under the mailbox on the porch. All the
>> > crap goes straight in there ... again except for the credit card
>> > offers.
>> > Those get opened and the page that has my name and address goes into
>> > the
>> > shredder. The rest stays right out there on the porch in the recycling
>> > bin.

>> Recycling is good, but they can't recycle the ink, and their ink bill
>> must
>> be astronomical, judging from what I have to pay for about 1 oz. of black
>> ink for my HP printer.....I wonder how many gallons of black ink a big
>> paper
>> like the New York Times has to use every day....And how much does it cost
>> them? I'd like to know who supplies it, too.....

> Bet on it not being not even an appreciable fraction of what you pay
> for printer ink. Too, check your hands the next time you rea a paper
> and you'll have an idea why it is comparatively cheap.

Yes. If they had to pay $20 an ounce for it, they would have to sell their
property, buildings and souls just for one day's edition......

Pudentame

Jer wrote:
> Pudentame wrote:

>> I keep the recycling bin right under the mailbox on the porch. All the
>> crap goes straight in there ... again except for the credit card
>> offers. Those get opened and the page that has my name and address
>> goes into the shredder. The rest stays right out there on the porch in
>> the recycling bin.

> A number of my neighbors would, after shredding the personal pages,
> return mail the remaining junk in the pre-paid envelopes. Since they
> paid to have it delivered, they might as well pay to have it returned. I
> don't think enough people do this for them to notice.

Years ago, you could glue that pre-paid envelope to a brick and they'd
have to pay the postage. Now-a-days if you try that you're a terrorist.