Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > B&H settles discrimination suit, agrees to pay $4.3 million

B&H settles discrimination suit, agrees to pay $4.3 million

Robert Coe

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 19:04:29 -0400, "EDS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: My daughter's boyfriend has a Hispanic name, but grew up in the suburbs,
: has a degree and does not speak Spanish. He applied to take an evening
: course about 10 years ago at Harvard. Without asking,they told him he had to
: take English as a second language first. Organizations can usually not see
: past their noses. We laugh about it now.

So do I (a graduate of one of Harvard's major rivals)! ;^)

Bob

Robert Coe

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 16:59:23 -0700, "William Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: "ggomezphoto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
: On Oct 20, 2:36 am, "imanozzi" <(E-Mail Removed)>
: wrote:
: > "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: >
: > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
: > On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
: >
: > > OH ****!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
: > > never know who you are buying from?
: >
: > > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>
: >
: > > Rita
: >
: > It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.
: >
: > Another $4.3m to go to Mexico!!!
:
: You might want to check the demographics of the Hispanic population in
: New York. Not everyone who is Hispanic is from Mexico, or sends money
: to Mexico. You do know that many Hispanics were born in this country,
: generations of Hispanics.
:
: Gerry
:
: In New York, most latinos are from Puerto Rico, and I think they are all
: legal.......

Their ancestors became U.S. subjects when we won the Spanish-American War.
Their full U.S. citizenship was confirmed by an act of Congress in 1917.

I hope to live to see a Congress with the decency and guts to make Puerto Rico
a state. The last U.S. President to propose it was Gerald R. Ford, and
Congress ignored him. :^|

Bob

William Graham

"Robert Coe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:07:05 -0700, "William Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> :
> : "Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news:471a1d14$0$25636$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Actually, no. What follows was posted by me:
> : >> You don't say. A pretty substantial fraction of New York's Hispanic
> : >> population have parents or grandparents who were born there. It
> wouldn't
> : >> surprise me if their English were as good as yours.
> :
> : You mean, "As bad as yours..." If you had the misfortune to learn your
> : English in New York City (as I did) your bad pronunciation will haunt
> you
> : for the rest of your life.......
>
> Well, if the shoe fits, wear it. But I knew many New Yorkers in college
> and a
> few since, and I've never had trouble understanding them - even though I
> grew
> up in Mississippi!
>
> Bob

I don't know much about Mississippi, but I know that the best English I've
ever heard was spoken by the people from the upper class in New
Orleans....Those Southerners sure knew how to put sentences together well.
(If you could get by their accent) Even the lower class Georgia kid I knew
in the Navy spoke beautiful English......We learned how to read and write
well in New York during the 40's, but the miserable "New Yawk" accent has
plagued me for my entire life......It took me 20 years just to learn that
you could actually pronounce the letter, "R".

William Graham

"Robert Coe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 16:59:23 -0700, "William Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> :
> : "ggomezphoto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> : On Oct 20, 2:36 am, "imanozzi" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> : wrote:
> : > "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : >
> : > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> : > On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
> : >
> : > > OH ****!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems
> you
> : > > never know who you are buying from?
> : >
> : > > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>
> : >
> : > > Rita
> : >
> : > It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.
> : >
> : > Another $4.3m to go to Mexico!!!
> :
> : You might want to check the demographics of the Hispanic population in
> : New York. Not everyone who is Hispanic is from Mexico, or sends money
> : to Mexico. You do know that many Hispanics were born in this country,
> : generations of Hispanics.
> :
> : Gerry
> :
> : In New York, most latinos are from Puerto Rico, and I think they are all
> : legal.......
>
> Their ancestors became U.S. subjects when we won the Spanish-American War.
> Their full U.S. citizenship was confirmed by an act of Congress in 1917.
>
> I hope to live to see a Congress with the decency and guts to make Puerto
> Rico
> a state. The last U.S. President to propose it was Gerald R. Ford, and
> Congress ignored him. :^|
>
> Bob

As I understand it, the Puerto Ricans themselves have voted it down a few
times.....I don't know why, but it probably has something to do with
money.....(doesn't everything?)

The Horny Goat

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 00:14:21 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I hope to live to see a Congress with the decency and guts to make Puerto Rico
>a state. The last U.S. President to propose it was Gerald R. Ford, and
>Congress ignored him. :^|

I think you'd find a lot more presidential interest in doing so if
there was in fact a clear consensus in Puerto Rico itself that
statehood was what the people there actually wanted.

A Boy Scout doesn't get points for dragging a little old lady who
doesn't want to cross the street across the street you know.

Irwin Peckinloomer

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> On Oct 19, 9:01 pm, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
> >
> > > OH ****!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
> > > never know who you are buying from?

snip

> > It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.

more snip

It's a fact that almost everyone who works in retail sales gets treated
like crap by their employers. Low wages, awful hours, no respect, etc.
It's strange that the employers don't realize that the employees just
take it out on the customers! (Or their bosses if they get a chance)
It's no way to run a business but it's the way most U.S. retail
businesses are run.
If you find a business that treats their employees well, reward them
with your patronage, shun the others.

Jer

The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 00:14:21 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I hope to live to see a Congress with the decency and guts to make Puerto Rico
>> a state. The last U.S. President to propose it was Gerald R. Ford, and
>> Congress ignored him. :^|

> I think you'd find a lot more presidential interest in doing so if
> there was in fact a clear consensus in Puerto Rico itself that
> statehood was what the people there actually wanted.
>
> A Boy Scout doesn't get points for dragging a little old lady who
> doesn't want to cross the street across the street you know.

Let's all be honest here... the only reason PR continues to have a
choice is because PR doesn't have enough oil worth killing someone for.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Cynicor

Charlie Self wrote:
> On Oct 20, 4:56 pm, "hickster11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message prices? It
>>
>> seems you
>> .
>>
>>> On the other hand, it will be interesting to watch this thread and see
>>> who comes out with the most uninformed statements about immigration?

>> OTOH, why not just ask Bill O'Reilly? He knows everything. Bob
>> Hickey

> He sure does. I've got a 17 year old granddaughter who is nearly as
> under-informed as he is.

Actually, that reminds me. When does his war on the war on Christmas
start this year? Is it running late due to the warm weather we've been
having?

Cynicor

irwell wrote:
> Best Buy accused of unpaid work time
>
> Electronics retailer Best Buy Co. Inc. failed to pay employees for
> thousands of hours they spent undergoing security searches and working
> through breaks, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday. The suit was
> filed in Philadelphia Common Pleas Court, where workers who sued
> Wal-Mart Stores Inc. over unpaid breaks and overtime won $140 million
> in damages after a 2006 jury trial. The plaintiff's lawyers are
> seeking class-action status that would cover anyone who worked at 25
> Best Buy stores in Pennsylvania since October 2003. The company did
> not immediately return a message left at its Richfield headquarters.

That's not the worst thing Best Buy has done lately. They allegedly
bought one copy of some rescue software and then everyone used it.

http://www.securitypronews.com/news/...GeekSquad.html

Allen

Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...

> snip
>>> It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.

> more snip
>
> It's a fact that almost everyone who works in retail sales gets treated
> like crap by their employers. Low wages, awful hours, no respect, etc.
> It's strange that the employers don't realize that the employees just
> take it out on the customers! (Or their bosses if they get a chance)
> It's no way to run a business but it's the way most U.S. retail
> businesses are run.
> If you find a business that treats their employees well, reward them
> with your patronage, shun the others.

I see only one error in your post: the problem is not limited to retail
sales. As businesses grow larger and larger, and as a result have many
more layers of middle management, the employees in the bottom levels
become nothing but statistics with no human characteristics. Yes. there
are exceptions, but that's just what they are--exceptions.
Allen