Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > B&H settles discrimination suit, agrees to pay $4.3 million

B&H settles discrimination suit, agrees to pay $4.3 million

Allen

Robert Coe wrote:
> On 19 Oct 2007 21:01:08 -0700, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
> : > OH ****!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
> : > never know who you are buying from?
> : >
> : > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>
> : >
> : > Rita
> :
> : It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.
>
> You don't say. A pretty substantial fraction of New York's Hispanic population
> have parents or grandparents who were born there. It wouldn't surprise me if
> their English were as good as yours.
>
> You've actually been to B&H's NY store and conversed with their employees,
> right? You're not just winging it, like you've done in the past with
> chemistry, optics, thermodynamics, etc., etc.?
>
> Bob

Not just Hispanics. I had a friend at work in Texas, a Chinese
programmer who looked like he had just gotten off the boat. However, no
one talking to him on the phone would have realized he was Oriental. He
was at least third-generation US--maybe more--and he sounded just like
he should have--native Manhattanite. And so what if he or anyone else
was new to the country, does that make them less than the rest of us?
Allen

ggomezphoto

On Oct 20, 8:21 am, Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Robert Coe wrote:
> > On 19 Oct 2007 21:01:08 -0700, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > : On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
> > : > OH ****!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
> > : > never know who you are buying from?
> > : >
> > : > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>
> > : >
> > : > Rita
> > :
> > : It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.

> > You don't say. A pretty substantial fraction of New York's Hispanic population
> > have parents or grandparents who were born there. It wouldn't surprise me if
> > their English were as good as yours.

> > You've actually been to B&H's NY store and conversed with their employees,
> > right? You're not just winging it, like you've done in the past with
> > chemistry, optics, thermodynamics, etc., etc.?

> > Bob

> Not just Hispanics. I had a friend at work in Texas, a Chinese
> programmer who looked like he had just gotten off the boat. However, no
> one talking to him on the phone would have realized he was Oriental. He
> was at least third-generation US--maybe more--and he sounded just like
> he should have--native Manhattanite. And so what if he or anyone else
> was new to the country, does that make them less than the rest of us?
> Allen

I am Hispanic, Mexican background. Don't worry all you immigration
freaks, I have not been able to trace any of my family back to the
current borders of Mexico, so my family history in the current US goes
way, way back. I only mention this because my older brother converted
to Judaism when he married a Jewish woman. So, I wonder how B and H
would have handled his pay if he worked there?

There is also an interesting book, The History of Jews in America,
that devotes a chapter to "Mexican Jews" in America, in southern
Colorado and Northern New Mexico long before either were part of the
US. But I digress...............

Gerry

hickster11

"Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message prices? It
seems you
..

> On the other hand, it will be interesting to watch this thread and see
> who comes out with the most uninformed statements about immigration?

OTOH, why not just ask Bill O'Reilly? He knows everything. Bob
Hickey

Charlie Self

On Oct 20, 4:56 pm, "hickster11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message prices? It
>
> seems you
> .
>
> > On the other hand, it will be interesting to watch this thread and see
> > who comes out with the most uninformed statements about immigration?

> OTOH, why not just ask Bill O'Reilly? He knows everything. Bob
> Hickey

He sure does. I've got a 17 year old granddaughter who is nearly as
under-informed as he is.

irwell

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:21:56 -0500, Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Robert Coe wrote:
>> On 19 Oct 2007 21:01:08 -0700, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> : On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
>> : > OH ****!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
>> : > never know who you are buying from?
>> : >
>> : > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>
>> : >
>> : > Rita
>> :
>> : It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.
>>
>> You don't say. A pretty substantial fraction of New York's Hispanic population
>> have parents or grandparents who were born there. It wouldn't surprise me if
>> their English were as good as yours.
>>
>> You've actually been to B&H's NY store and conversed with their employees,
>> right? You're not just winging it, like you've done in the past with
>> chemistry, optics, thermodynamics, etc., etc.?
>>
>> Bob

>Not just Hispanics. I had a friend at work in Texas, a Chinese
>programmer who looked like he had just gotten off the boat. However, no
>one talking to him on the phone would have realized he was Oriental. He
>was at least third-generation US--maybe more--and he sounded just like
>he should have--native Manhattanite. And so what if he or anyone else
>was new to the country, does that make them less than the rest of us?
>Allen

And how about this heavy handed treatment from another vendor.
Best Buy accused of unpaid work time

Electronics retailer Best Buy Co. Inc. failed to pay employees for
thousands of hours they spent undergoing security searches and working
through breaks, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday. The suit was
filed in Philadelphia Common Pleas Court, where workers who sued
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. over unpaid breaks and overtime won $140 million
in damages after a 2006 jury trial. The plaintiff's lawyers are
seeking class-action status that would cover anyone who worked at 25
Best Buy stores in Pennsylvania since October 2003. The company did
not immediately return a message left at its Richfield headquarters.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

EDS

"sheepdog 2007" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> On 2007-10-20 06:56:56 -0700, ggomezphoto <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.

>> That link did not mention anything about learning English (and this is
>> English: "it'll be to pay for....). And why the word staff in
>> quotes? Are you implying that if you are Hispanic, you aren't really
>> staff (apparently that was B & H's position).
>>
>> As someone else has mentioned in this thread, there are many Hispanics
>> working in this country who were born here, or whose families have
>> been here for generations.
>>
>> Gerry

> The fact is, many more American kids--regardless of their parents'
> ethnicity--need to apply themselves to a mastery of English. The funding
> for this pursuit is already in place. While they're at it, they may
> discover an aptitude for learning Spanish, French, Italian...even Arabic,
> who knows?
> --
> Cease then to grieve for your private afflictions, and address yourselves
> instead to the safety of the republic

My daughter's boyfriend has a Hispanic name, but grew up in the suburbs,
has a degree and does not speak Spanish. He applied to take an evening
course about 10 years ago at Harvard. Without asking,they told him he had to
take English as a second language first. Organizations can usually not see
past their noses. We laugh about it now.

William Graham

"ggomezphoto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
On Oct 20, 2:36 am, "imanozzi" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
>
> > OH ****!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
> > never know who you are buying from?

> > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>

> > Rita

> It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.
>
> Another $4.3m to go to Mexico!!!

You might want to check the demographics of the Hispanic population in
New York. Not everyone who is Hispanic is from Mexico, or sends money
to Mexico. You do know that many Hispanics were born in this country,
generations of Hispanics.

Gerry

In New York, most latinos are from Puerto Rico, and I think they are all
legal.......

William Graham

"Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:471a1d14$0$25636$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You don't say. A pretty substantial fraction of New York's Hispanic
>> population
>> have parents or grandparents who were born there. It wouldn't surprise me
>> if
>> their English were as good as yours.

You mean, "As bad as yours..." If you had the misfortune to learn your
English in New York City (as I did) your bad pronunciation will haunt you
for the rest of your life.......

Paul J Gans

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Charlie Self <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Oct 20, 4:56 pm, "hickster11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message prices? It
>>
>> seems you
>> .
>>
>> > On the other hand, it will be interesting to watch this thread and see
>> > who comes out with the most uninformed statements about immigration?

>> OTOH, why not just ask Bill O'Reilly? He knows everything. Bob
>> Hickey

>He sure does. I've got a 17 year old granddaughter who is nearly as
>under-informed as he is.

Yeah, but she probably has a life.

--
--- Paul J. Gans

Robert Coe

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:07:05 -0700, "William Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: "Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:471a1d14$0$25636$(E-Mail Removed)...
Actually, no. What follows was posted by me:
: >> You don't say. A pretty substantial fraction of New York's Hispanic
: >> population have parents or grandparents who were born there. It wouldn't
: >> surprise me if their English were as good as yours.
:
: You mean, "As bad as yours..." If you had the misfortune to learn your
: English in New York City (as I did) your bad pronunciation will haunt you
: for the rest of your life.......

Well, if the shoe fits, wear it. But I knew many New Yorkers in college and a
few since, and I've never had trouble understanding them - even though I grew
up in Mississippi!

Bob