Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > B&H settles discrimination suit, agrees to pay $4.3 million

B&H settles discrimination suit, agrees to pay $4.3 million

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

OH ****!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
never know who you are buying from?

<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>

Rita

Don Wiss

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

>OH ****!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
>never know who you are buying from?
>
><http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>

That's old news. It was in all the Wednesday newspapers. As that is my day
off, I don't read the paper that day. But I just happened to be checking my
web statistics on Thursday night and noticed an inordinate number of hits
on my picture of their warehouse. So I investigated who was pointing at it
and found a bunch of forum posts. So I added my B&H ad to all my B&H
pictures. I figure I missed about 2000 views before I got it added. Sorry
Rita, but I do put in a lot of work maintaining those pages, and getting
something for it would be nice.

RichA

On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
> OH ****!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
> never know who you are buying from?
>
> <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>
>
> Rita

It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.

imanozzi

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
> OH ****!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
> never know who you are buying from?
>
> <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>
>
> Rita

It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.

Another $4.3m to go to Mexico!!!

Robert Coe

On 19 Oct 2007 21:01:08 -0700, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
: > OH ****!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
: > never know who you are buying from?
: >
: > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>
: >
: > Rita
:
: It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.

You don't say. A pretty substantial fraction of New York's Hispanic population
have parents or grandparents who were born there. It wouldn't surprise me if
their English were as good as yours.

You've actually been to B&H's NY store and conversed with their employees,
right? You're not just winging it, like you've done in the past with
chemistry, optics, thermodynamics, etc., etc.?

Bob

ggomezphoto

On Oct 19, 9:01 pm, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
>
> > OH ****!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
> > never know who you are buying from?

> > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>

> > Rita

> It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.

That link did not mention anything about learning English (and this is
English: "it'll be to pay for....). And why the word staff in
quotes? Are you implying that if you are Hispanic, you aren't really
staff (apparently that was B & H's position).

As someone else has mentioned in this thread, there are many Hispanics
working in this country who were born here, or whose families have
been here for generations.

Gerry

ggomezphoto

On Oct 20, 2:36 am, "imanozzi" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
>
> > OH ****!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
> > never know who you are buying from?

> > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>

> > Rita

> It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.
>
> Another $4.3m to go to Mexico!!!

You might want to check the demographics of the Hispanic population in
New York. Not everyone who is Hispanic is from Mexico, or sends money
to Mexico. You do know that many Hispanics were born in this country,
generations of Hispanics.

Gerry

Jer

imanozzi wrote:
> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
>> OH ****!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
>> never know who you are buying from?
>>
>> <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>
>>
>> Rita

> It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.
>
> Another $4.3m to go to Mexico!!!

$4.3M is chump change compared to the billions exported to Mexico by
undocumented workers. But this is the wrong thread for that discussion.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

sheepdog 2007

On 2007-10-20 06:56:56 -0700, ggomezphoto <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> On Oct 19, 9:01 pm, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>> OH ****!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
>>> never know who you are buying from?

>>> <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>

>>> Rita

>> It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.

> That link did not mention anything about learning English (and this is
> English: "it'll be to pay for....). And why the word staff in
> quotes? Are you implying that if you are Hispanic, you aren't really
> staff (apparently that was B & H's position).
>
> As someone else has mentioned in this thread, there are many Hispanics
> working in this country who were born here, or whose families have
> been here for generations.
>
> Gerry

The fact is, many more American kids--regardless of their parents'
ethnicity--need to apply themselves to a mastery of English. The
funding for this pursuit is already in place. While they're at it, they
may discover an aptitude for learning Spanish, French, Italian...even
Arabic, who knows?
--
Cease then to grieve for your private afflictions, and address
yourselves instead to the safety of the republic

Cynicor

Robert Coe wrote:
> On 19 Oct 2007 21:01:08 -0700, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : On Oct 19, 7:26 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
> : > OH ****!!! I guess this means they will raise the prices? It seems you
> : > never know who you are buying from?
> : >
> : > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341907>
> : >
> : > Rita
> :
> : It'll be to pay for those members of the "staff" to learn English.
>
> You don't say. A pretty substantial fraction of New York's Hispanic population
> have parents or grandparents who were born there. It wouldn't surprise me if
> their English were as good as yours.

On the other hand, it will be interesting to watch this thread and see
who comes out with the most uninformed statements about immigration.