Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Re: building a web site

Re: building a web site

Jtyc

Tima. Timmaa tima timmaaa.

Timmmaaa!

Slarty Bartfast

If they can get 'file-sharers' so easy, why don't they target Spammers??

On the BBC today;

Ten internet service providers have been ordered to hand over the details of
150 UK customers accused of illegally sharing software.
The High Court order follows a 12-month covert investigation by the
Federation Against Software Theft (Fast).

Among the internet providers are BT, NTL, Telewest and Tiscali.

Over the next two weeks, they are expected to provide the names, addresses
and other personal details of the alleged file-sharers.

--

Regards,
Slarty Bartfast

- This space for rent.

Robert Williams

"Slarty Bartfast" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If they can get 'file-sharers' so easy, why don't they target Spammers??

Simple...spammers aren't (directly) taking money away from large corporations.

kpg

Robert Williams <(E-Mail Removed) om>
said something like

> Simple...spammers aren't (directly) taking money away from large
> corporations.

Well, technically neither are file sharers. It's not like they
would actually 'buy' that stuff. Most of the file-sharer group
has no money. This is a losing battle for corporations. The
answer is ever more agressive copy protection schemes - at the
hardware level.

or electric shock.

--
kpg
WwW.mCnGp.CoM 0x22

Robert Williams

"kpg" <kenatweekendcomputerdotcom> wrote in message
news:Xns975C7C0678D91ipostthereforeiam@127.0.0.1.. .
> Robert Williams <(E-Mail Removed) om>
> said something like
>
> > Simple...spammers aren't (directly) taking money away from large
> > corporations.

> Well, technically neither are file sharers. It's not like they
> would actually 'buy' that stuff. Most of the file-sharer group
> has no money. This is a losing battle for corporations. The
> answer is ever more agressive copy protection schemes - at the
> hardware level.
>
> or electric shock.

That is not entirely true...I know many file sharers that have plenty of money
to buy any CD or DVD they want. They just happen to be too damn cheap to spend
the $15-$20 for a legit copy. But yes, I agree that it is a losing battle for
corporations. They're spending more money trying to fight it than they are
losing by just letting it happen.

Ha, hardware copy protection. I believe it was Sony that spent Millions on
developing a hardware copy protection for their CDs and DVDs.... all it took was
one brilliant hacker with a sharpie to screw that up.

Hmmm...electric shock....yesssssssssss.....that may just work

JaR

plaintive wail of kpg:

> This is a losing battle for corporations. The
> answer is ever more agressive copy protection schemes - at the
> hardware level.

The answer is to evolve the business model. When recordings required
expensive equipment and distribution systems, the model worked. It doesn't
anymore. It's rather like having the only ferry on the river. Great money
maker until they built that bridge. It would be like the legal system
forcing people to use the ferry anyway when there's that great new bridge
they could use for free.

> or electric shock.

Or that, yes.

--
JaR
MCNGP 10110

kpg

Robert Williams <(E-Mail Removed) om>
said something like

> .... all it took was one brilliant hacker with a sharpie to screw
> that up.

If I were that brilliant hacker, instead of tunning that loose on the
world I would go to SONY and say, Hey!, how about giving me a highly
paid job as a copy protection consultant? Why you ask? Well...

news:Xns975C7F29C8345ipostthereforeiam@127.0.0.1.. .
> Robert Williams <(E-Mail Removed) om>
> said something like
>
> > .... all it took was one brilliant hacker with a sharpie to screw
> > that up.

> If I were that brilliant hacker, instead of tunning that loose on the
> world I would go to SONY and say, Hey!, how about giving me a highly
> paid job as a copy protection consultant? Why you ask? Well...

Ok, so he wasn't *that* brilliant....but hey....

kpg

JaR <(E-Mail Removed)> said something like

> The answer is to evolve the business model. When recordings required
> expensive equipment and distribution systems, the model worked. It
> doesn't anymore. It's rather like having the only ferry on the river.
> Great money maker until they built that bridge. It would be like the
> legal system forcing people to use the ferry anyway when there's that
> great new bridge they could use for free.

Sure. I agree, but...

As a software developer I am interested in intellectual property rights.
Just because the Interneil has made it easy to transport information I
don't want my stuff copied. I see the recording industry as allies in
this fight, not because I like them or think they are right, but because
I think the same logic applies to music and software. If I say it's OK
to steal music but not software, I feel I'm being hypocritical.

For hard goods theft is against the law. Why not for soft goods? At the
same time to bust someone for copying it is stupid. The only answer I see
that protects everyone is to make it where it can't be copied, of course,
songs could be played and recorded to defeat any copy scheme, at the loss
of some quality. Software has other ways to protect itself (and the lines
between "music" and software a blurring), For example, because of the
Interneil I can have my software check in with the server to see if you
should be running a copy of it. I expect music will do the same one day.

Big Brother is alive and well, and getting stronger.

kpg

PC LOAD LETTER

"kpg" <kenatweekendcomputerdotcom> wrote in message
news:Xns975C7F29C8345ipostthereforeiam@127.0.0.1.. .
> Robert Williams <(E-Mail Removed) om>
> said something like
>
>> .... all it took was one brilliant hacker with a sharpie to screw
>> that up.

> If I were that brilliant hacker, instead of tunning that loose on the
> world I would go to SONY and say, Hey!, how about giving me a highly
> paid job as a copy protection consultant? Why you ask? Well...

Well, they'd never hire you. You'd be too brilliant, and a threat to
management. Management needs cretins to abuse and enslave.

They'd probably find a way to throw you in jail for it. Best case, they'd
pay you for silence, or pay someone to silence you.