Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Reinitialize a dll

Reinitialize a dll

Morten Snedker

A few days ago I posted the below as result of the kind reply from
Bruce. I still need an answer on:

Thanks a bunch for your reply!

What does it mean for dll to support a "reinit". How is this defined?

Regards /Snedker

bruce barker skrev:
> a recycle only unloads the appdomain, it does not restart the worker

processes. this means unmanaged dlls are not unloaded. when it reloads
the dll are reloaded, if your 3rd party dll don't support a reinit then
they will not work.

> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>
> Morten Snedker wrote:
>> I'm not sure if this is the right group, but:
>>
>> When the IIS performs a recycle on an given Application Pool, the

website on this pool seems to loose references to third-party DLL-files
in the bin-folder.

>> We then have to start/stop the site go get it to work.
>>
>> The recycling is now disabled to avoid the issue.
>>
>> Any ideas as to why?
>>

>> Regards /Snedker

What he meant was that unmanaged (non-.NET) dlls are *not* in the AppDomain
to get unloaded it only holds managed assemblies.
Does that help?

--Peter
Recursion: see Recursion
site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com

"Morten Snedker" wrote:

> A few days ago I posted the below as result of the kind reply from
> Bruce. I still need an answer on:
>

> Thanks a bunch for your reply!
>
> What does it mean for dll to support a "reinit". How is this defined?
>
> Regards /Snedker
>
> bruce barker skrev:
> > a recycle only unloads the appdomain, it does not restart the worker

> processes. this means unmanaged dlls are not unloaded. when it reloads
> the dll are reloaded, if your 3rd party dll don't support a reinit then
> they will not work.
> >
> > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
> >
> > Morten Snedker wrote:
> >> I'm not sure if this is the right group, but:
> >>
> >> When the IIS performs a recycle on an given Application Pool, the

> website on this pool seems to loose references to third-party DLL-files
> in the bin-folder.
> >>
> >> We then have to start/stop the site go get it to work.
> >>
> >> The recycling is now disabled to avoid the issue.
> >>
> >> Any ideas as to why?
> >>

> >> Regards /Snedker

Morten.Snedker@gmail.com

Nah, not really.

The third party dll is a .net dll and should be a part of the
AppDomain. But after the IIS performs a recycle every night, these
third-party dll's aren't accessable. Disabling the recycle works - but
that's not at long term solution.

Thanks for your reply.

/Snedker