Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Is there a Mozilla newsreader?

Is there a Mozilla newsreader?

kellym555@noemail.com

I have always used Agent for newsgroups. Lately there is so darn much
spam and garbage on the newsgroups that I need more extensive
filtering. These earlier versions of Agent lacked decent filters, and
I tried the demo of some of Agent's newer versions and do not care for
it at all, especially for the price. The time has come to seek out
new software for newsgroups. I do not use Google to read them on the
web. I also do not use Outlook express for anything and wont because
of it's virus dangers. Does Mozilla have anything for newsgroups? If
not, what other software is good for newsgroups (free is preferred).

Thanks
KM

Stanley Eisen

Thunderbird has a newsreader. I use it.

Ralph Fox

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 01:17:52 -0500, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Subject: Is there a Mozilla newsreader?

Yes -- Thunderbird. Thunderbird is also a newsreader.

Look at the full headers of the messages in this newsgroup.
You will see that many of the messages are posted with Thunderbird.
Look for the "User-Agent:" header.

> I have always used Agent for newsgroups. Lately there is so darn much
> spam and garbage on the newsgroups that I need more extensive
> filtering.

While Thunderbird has newsgroups filters, you won't find them any better
than Agent's at filtering spam and garbage on the newsgroups.

To filter the spam and garbage, try one of these two choices

A. Use an add-on filtering program like nFilter to filter spam and
garbage on the newsgroups.

B. Get a news server that filters the spam and garbage for you.

> These earlier versions of Agent lacked decent filters, and
> I tried the demo of some of Agent's newer versions and do not care for
> it at all, especially for the price. The time has come to seek out
> new software for newsgroups.

Get an add-on filtering program like nFilter to filter spam and
garbage on the newsgroups.

nFilter

(1) http://www.nfilter.org/ The download from here is one byte short.
This causes problems on some versions of Windows.
Try downloading from another mirror, such as

(2) http://www.saska.co.uk/nfilter/
(3) http://west.porterfield.net/nfilter/
(4) http://troll-busters.0catch.com/gen/ [website uses Java]

> I do not use Google to read them on the
> web. I also do not use Outlook express for anything and wont because
> of it's virus dangers. Does Mozilla have anything for newsgroups?

Mozilla has Thunderbird for newsgroups, and also SeaMonkey for newsgroups.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Chalky

Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 01:17:52 -0500, in message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> wrote:
>
>> Subject: Is there a Mozilla newsreader?

>> I have always used Agent for newsgroups. Lately there is so darn much
>> spam and garbage on the newsgroups that I need more extensive
>> filtering.

> While Thunderbird has newsgroups filters, you won't find them any
> better than Agent's at filtering spam and garbage on the newsgroups.
>
> To filter the spam and garbage, try one of these two choices
>
> A. Use an add-on filtering program like nFilter to filter spam and
> garbage on the newsgroups.
>
> B. Get a news server that filters the spam and garbage for you.
>

>> These earlier versions of Agent lacked decent filters, and
>> I tried the demo of some of Agent's newer versions and do not care for
>> it at all, especially for the price. The time has come to seek out new
>> software for newsgroups.

> Get an add-on filtering program like nFilter to filter spam and
> garbage on the newsgroups.
>
> nFilter
>
> (1) http://www.nfilter.org/ The download from here is one byte
> short.
> This causes problems on some versions of Windows.
> Try downloading from another mirror, such as
>
> (2) http://www.saska.co.uk/nfilter/
> (3) http://west.porterfield.net/nfilter/
> (4) http://troll-busters.0catch.com/gen/ [website uses Java]
>

>> I do not use Google to read them on the
>> web. I also do not use Outlook express for anything and wont because
>> of it's virus dangers. Does Mozilla have anything for newsgroups?

> Mozilla has Thunderbird for newsgroups, and also SeaMonkey for
> newsgroups.
>

>> If
>> not, what other software is good for newsgroups (free is preferred).
>>
>> Thanks
>> KM

You could try this one I find it very good and it is free
http://xnews.newsguy.com/
Chalky

John Thompson

On 2007-10-19, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have always used Agent for newsgroups. Lately there is so darn much
> spam and garbage on the newsgroups that I need more extensive
> filtering. These earlier versions of Agent lacked decent filters, and
> I tried the demo of some of Agent's newer versions and do not care for
> it at all, especially for the price. The time has come to seek out
> new software for newsgroups. I do not use Google to read them on the
> web. I also do not use Outlook express for anything and wont because
> of it's virus dangers. Does Mozilla have anything for newsgroups? If
> not, what other software is good for newsgroups (free is preferred).

Thunderbird is a stand-alone mail/news client; the Seamonkey suite also
has a mail/news component.

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))

Charani

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 01:17:52 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have always used Agent for newsgroups. Lately there is so darn much
> spam and garbage on the newsgroups that I need more extensive
> filtering.

Get yourself a good news server. NIN is one such and that filters out
the garbage before it ever reaches you. It's not a freebie but only
cost about 10 euros a year. It's reliable too.

(Disclaimer: no connections with NIN just a satisfied user and before
anyone says why aren't I using it - it's on the other PC which my
husband's using atm ) )