Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How do I remove traces of old connections

How do I remove traces of old connections

=?Utf-8?B?TG9yZCBTdmVu?=

Having installed my new wireless (PCMIA) card, the tray icon lists the
connection as 'wireless connection 5', even though it is the only one listed
in my Network Connections folder. Presumably, therefore, XP Home SP2 (my OS),
still has listed wireless connections 1 - 4, although they no longer exist.
Where does XP Home keep this info, and how do I amend/delete it? Also, a tad
off topic, but does the same apply to wired (LAN) and Dial-Up Networking? I'd
appreciate any help/advice. Thanks.
--
It was then that I realised that the light at the end of the tunnel was the
headlight on an oncoming train.

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 27-Jan-2006, =?Utf-8?B?TG9yZCBTdmVu?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Having installed my new wireless (PCMIA) card, the tray icon lists the
> connection as 'wireless connection 5', even though it is the only one listed
> in my Network Connections folder. Presumably, therefore, XP Home SP2 (my OS),
> still has listed wireless connections 1 - 4, although they no longer exist.
> Where does XP Home keep this info, and how do I amend/delete it? Also, a tad
> off topic, but does the same apply to wired (LAN) and Dial-Up Networking? I'd
> appreciate any help/advice. Thanks.

Moving my USB network adapter to a different USB socket on the same
PC produced Wireless Connection 2 (and more) with putting other devices
on the same USB ports. So much for hot swapping USB devices, like camera,
wireless adapter, Lexar USB stick.
I just right click, rename, get rid of the number, and the irritation is fixed.
Have found no ill effects from these phantom connectoids, if they still exist.

..

My threads keep dying! Exceptions without stack traces? How to debug? Twisted Java 1 02-24-2006 08:13 PM
entering Password (a String) without leaving in-memory traces otf Java 5 11-29-2005 06:11 PM
Allow Traceroutes Out to internet, no Pings/traces in. On Both PIX and 2610 Scott Townsend Cisco 3 10-08-2004 09:59 PM
sniffer traces Taishi Cisco 3 10-15-2003 06:30 AM
Re: Unknown source in Exception traces Michael Borgwardt Java 1 09-16-2003 07:11 PM

Advertisments