Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Is it possible to change from 64bit to 32bit Vista?

Is it possible to change from 64bit to 32bit Vista?

=?Utf-8?B?U3RpYW4=?=

Hi.
I've bought Vista Home Premium 64bit, and tried it on my computer. But what
I've learned is that some of the programs I need to use due to mye
educational program doesn't support 64bit Vista. So, I wondered if it was
possible to switch over to 32bit Vista without buying a brand new Vista
product, which I just recently did(64bit).

Thanks,
Stian

R. C. White

Hi, Stian.

Yes - but you'll have to "clean install". There is NO upgrade path from
32-bit to 64-bit - or vice-versa. You'll have to backup your data, make
sure you have media to install your apps, and then reformat your 64-bit
volume and clean install 32-bit Vista there. Then you'll need to reinstall
your apps and restore your data - unless you have enough hard drive space to
store your data in another volume during all this.

The retail package of Vista Ultimate has two DVD-ROMs, one 32-bit and one
64-bit, plus a single Product Key. The buyer decides which DVD to use with
that single PK. I believe the Home Premium package is different and you'll
need to contact Microsoft to get the other DVD at little or no extra charge.
Check out this page:
http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/co...Id=404&tabid=1

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Stian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
> I've bought Vista Home Premium 64bit, and tried it on my computer. But
> what
> I've learned is that some of the programs I need to use due to mye
> educational program doesn't support 64bit Vista. So, I wondered if it was
> possible to switch over to 32bit Vista without buying a brand new Vista
> product, which I just recently did(64bit).
>
> Thanks,
> Stian

Charlie Russel - MVP

If what the OP bought was the Retail version. Not true for OEM versions, I'm
afraid.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Stian.
>
> Yes - but you'll have to "clean install". There is NO upgrade path from
> 32-bit to 64-bit - or vice-versa. You'll have to backup your data, make
> sure you have media to install your apps, and then reformat your 64-bit
> volume and clean install 32-bit Vista there. Then you'll need to
> reinstall your apps and restore your data - unless you have enough hard
> drive space to store your data in another volume during all this.
>
> The retail package of Vista Ultimate has two DVD-ROMs, one 32-bit and one
> 64-bit, plus a single Product Key. The buyer decides which DVD to use
> with that single PK. I believe the Home Premium package is different and
> you'll need to contact Microsoft to get the other DVD at little or no
> extra charge. Check out this page:
> http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/co...Id=404&tabid=1
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 beta v.275)
>

> "Stian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi.
>> I've bought Vista Home Premium 64bit, and tried it on my computer. But
>> what
>> I've learned is that some of the programs I need to use due to mye
>> educational program doesn't support 64bit Vista. So, I wondered if it was
>> possible to switch over to 32bit Vista without buying a brand new Vista
>> product, which I just recently did(64bit).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Stian

=?Utf-8?B?U3RpYW4=?=

Yes it was an OEM version. So then it's not possible whatsoever to get 32bit
Vista without buying a new one?

Stian

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> If what the OP bought was the Retail version. Not true for OEM versions, I'm
> afraid.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi, Stian.
> >
> > Yes - but you'll have to "clean install". There is NO upgrade path from
> > 32-bit to 64-bit - or vice-versa. You'll have to backup your data, make
> > sure you have media to install your apps, and then reformat your 64-bit
> > volume and clean install 32-bit Vista there. Then you'll need to
> > reinstall your apps and restore your data - unless you have enough hard
> > drive space to store your data in another volume during all this.
> >
> > The retail package of Vista Ultimate has two DVD-ROMs, one 32-bit and one
> > 64-bit, plus a single Product Key. The buyer decides which DVD to use
> > with that single PK. I believe the Home Premium package is different and
> > you'll need to contact Microsoft to get the other DVD at little or no
> > extra charge. Check out this page:
> > http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/co...Id=404&tabid=1
> >
> > RC
> > --
> > R. C. White, CPA
> > San Marcos, TX
> > (E-Mail Removed)
> > Microsoft Windows MVP
> > (Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 beta v.275)
> >

> > "Stian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hi.
> >> I've bought Vista Home Premium 64bit, and tried it on my computer. But
> >> what
> >> I've learned is that some of the programs I need to use due to mye
> >> educational program doesn't support 64bit Vista. So, I wondered if it was
> >> possible to switch over to 32bit Vista without buying a brand new Vista
> >> product, which I just recently did(64bit).
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Stian

Charlie Russel - MVP

Not unless you can get your OEM vendor to do a swap, no. That's one of the
limitations of OEM versions, and one of the reasons they are cheaper.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Stian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes it was an OEM version. So then it's not possible whatsoever to get
> 32bit
> Vista without buying a new one?
>
> Stian
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> If what the OP bought was the Retail version. Not true for OEM versions,
>> I'm
>> afraid.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi, Stian.
>> >
>> > Yes - but you'll have to "clean install". There is NO upgrade path
>> > from
>> > 32-bit to 64-bit - or vice-versa. You'll have to backup your data,
>> > make
>> > sure you have media to install your apps, and then reformat your 64-bit
>> > volume and clean install 32-bit Vista there. Then you'll need to
>> > reinstall your apps and restore your data - unless you have enough hard
>> > drive space to store your data in another volume during all this.
>> >
>> > The retail package of Vista Ultimate has two DVD-ROMs, one 32-bit and
>> > one
>> > 64-bit, plus a single Product Key. The buyer decides which DVD to use
>> > with that single PK. I believe the Home Premium package is different
>> > and
>> > you'll need to contact Microsoft to get the other DVD at little or no
>> > extra charge. Check out this page:
>> > http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/co...Id=404&tabid=1
>> >
>> > RC
>> > --
>> > R. C. White, CPA
>> > San Marcos, TX
>> > (E-Mail Removed)
>> > Microsoft Windows MVP
>> > (Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 beta v.275)
>> >

>> > "Stian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

John Barnes

You need to also check to see if they will run on Vista. Many edu programs
will not run on Vista86 either. Check the Vista.general site.

"Stian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes it was an OEM version. So then it's not possible whatsoever to get
> 32bit
> Vista without buying a new one?
>
> Stian
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> If what the OP bought was the Retail version. Not true for OEM versions,
>> I'm
>> afraid.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi, Stian.
>> >
>> > Yes - but you'll have to "clean install". There is NO upgrade path
>> > from
>> > 32-bit to 64-bit - or vice-versa. You'll have to backup your data,
>> > make
>> > sure you have media to install your apps, and then reformat your 64-bit
>> > volume and clean install 32-bit Vista there. Then you'll need to
>> > reinstall your apps and restore your data - unless you have enough hard
>> > drive space to store your data in another volume during all this.
>> >
>> > The retail package of Vista Ultimate has two DVD-ROMs, one 32-bit and
>> > one
>> > 64-bit, plus a single Product Key. The buyer decides which DVD to use
>> > with that single PK. I believe the Home Premium package is different
>> > and
>> > you'll need to contact Microsoft to get the other DVD at little or no
>> > extra charge. Check out this page:
>> > http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/co...Id=404&tabid=1
>> >
>> > RC
>> > --
>> > R. C. White, CPA
>> > San Marcos, TX
>> > (E-Mail Removed)
>> > Microsoft Windows MVP
>> > (Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 beta v.275)
>> >

>> > "Stian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

XS11E

Stian <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Yes it was an OEM version. So then it's not possible whatsoever to
> get 32bit Vista without buying a new one?

Maybe, check with your vendor. From what I've read here, some will
swap and some won't. Good luck and be a bit persistent, if the first
answer is no, ask for a supervisor.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org