Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Shared development with Eclipse / NetBeans

Shared development with Eclipse / NetBeans

DBoy001

Hi! I am relatively new to Java development and I am searching for
ways to have two persons work on a same project.

With a project located on a network drive, can two persons work on
this project at the same time or do they have to create a local copy
(thus, duplicating) of what they are working on.

I saw that with Eclipse, it seams impossible to use the same workspace
on a shared drive.

This appear to be a problem with NetBeans too, I added libraries to a
project, my colleague did the same on his computer and that seams to
be screwing what I defined.

So... are we not doing it right? Are there tools available, best
practices, I don't know? Heeellllpppp !!!!

PS: I have a preference for NetBean but I am interested in knowing how
it works for both...

Manish Pandit

On Oct 18, 1:23 pm, DBoy001 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi! I am relatively new to Java development and I am searching for
> ways to have two persons work on a same project.
>
> With a project located on a network drive, can two persons work on
> this project at the same time or do they have to create a local copy
> (thus, duplicating) of what they are working on.
>
> I saw that with Eclipse, it seams impossible to use the same workspace
> on a shared drive.
>
> This appear to be a problem with NetBeans too, I added libraries to a
> project, my colleague did the same on his computer and that seams to
> be screwing what I defined.
>
> So... are we not doing it right? Are there tools available, best
> practices, I don't know? Heeellllpppp !!!!
>
> PS: I have a preference for NetBean but I am interested in knowing how
> it works for both...

What you need is a version control system like CVS or SVN (or Visual
Source Safe if you have an MSDN license). The shared drive should work
if you use drive mapping instead of the long name or IP address IMO.
However, given this situation, I'd seriously recommend installing a
version control system and working off of it.

-cheers,
Manish

Daniel Dyer

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:37:17 +0100, Manish Pandit
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 1:23 pm, DBoy001 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi! I am relatively new to Java development and I am searching for
>> ways to have two persons work on a same project.
>>
>> With a project located on a network drive, can two persons work on
>> this project at the same time or do they have to create a local copy
>> (thus, duplicating) of what they are working on.
>>
>> I saw that with Eclipse, it seams impossible to use the same workspace
>> on a shared drive.
>>
>> This appear to be a problem with NetBeans too, I added libraries to a
>> project, my colleague did the same on his computer and that seams to
>> be screwing what I defined.
>>
>> So... are we not doing it right? Are there tools available, best
>> practices, I don't know? Heeellllpppp !!!!
>>
>> PS: I have a preference for NetBean but I am interested in knowing how
>> it works for both...

> What you need is a version control system like CVS or SVN

I second this recommendation. There are plenty of good version control
systems. Subversion (SVN) is probably the mostly widely used these days
and is generally preferable to CVS.

> (or Visual Source Safe if you have an MSDN license)

As I said, there are plenty of good version control systems... but Source
Safe is not one of them. It is seriously defective in many ways. Given
that superior alternatives are freely available, I'm amazed that anyone
still uses it.

Dan.

--
Daniel Dyer
http//www.uncommons.org

Richard Reynolds

"DBoy001" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi! I am relatively new to Java development and I am searching for
> ways to have two persons work on a same project.
>
> With a project located on a network drive, can two persons work on
> this project at the same time or do they have to create a local copy
> (thus, duplicating) of what they are working on.
>
> I saw that with Eclipse, it seams impossible to use the same workspace
> on a shared drive.
>
> This appear to be a problem with NetBeans too, I added libraries to a
> project, my colleague did the same on his computer and that seams to
> be screwing what I defined.
>
> So... are we not doing it right? Are there tools available, best
> practices, I don't know? Heeellllpppp !!!!
>
> PS: I have a preference for NetBean but I am interested in knowing how
> it works for both...

cvs integrates nicely with eclipse and is very easy to use, don't know about
netbeans/svn

NetBeans development markspace Java 4 08-02-2011 09:21 PM
Deleted java development kit, now can't uninstall netbeans Sarah Java 3 07-14-2007 02:27 PM
Eclipse vs. Netbeans. Netbeans is winning me over almost at first glance. Thomas G. Marshall Java 2 10-16-2006 02:54 AM
[NETBEANS] [EVALUATION] - E12 - The NetBeans Open Source Lie Ilias Lazaridis Java 0 12-12-2004 02:41 PM
Building a GUI using NetBeans platform (not Netbeans IDE !) Pimousse Java 2 04-21-2004 07:22 AM

Advertisments