Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Refurbished Canon DSLRs

Refurbished Canon DSLRs

Summer Wind

There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs at
www.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make one wonder
why they need refurbishing so soon. How does Canon come by the cameras it
refurbishes and what does refurbishment usually entail? Have any of you
bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?

Thanks,
SW

Paul Furman

Summer Wind wrote:

> There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs at
> www.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make one wonder
> why they need refurbishing so soon. How does Canon come by the cameras it
> refurbishes and what does refurbishment usually entail? Have any of you
> bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?

I was in a Best Buy the other day, all the DSLRs were on display, locked
to the counter with no lens mounted... yikes, I can understand why but
all the dust & people poking their fingers in the mirror box, sheesh. I
think that would be the worst case scenario though.

Rich

On Oct 18, 2:57 pm, "Summer Wind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs atwww.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make one wonder
> why they need refurbishing so soon.

The name is a clue.

Summer Wind

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On Oct 18, 2:57 pm, "Summer Wind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs
>> atwww.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make one
>> wonder
>> why they need refurbishing so soon.

> The name is a clue.

There are just as many refurbished Nikon's.

SW

Bob S

Summer Wind wrote:
> There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs at
> www.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make one wonder
> why they need refurbishing so soon. How does Canon come by the cameras it
> refurbishes and what does refurbishment usually entail? Have any of you
> bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?
>
> Thanks,
> SW

Not sure about Adorama, a reputable shop, but B&H, another reputable
shop, has "used" gear that when rated condition 10 is usually refurbed
by Canon. Where they get them is easy. The Canon Sales Reps turn in
their sample cases on a regular schedule. The equipment gets a going
over by Canon but can not be sold as new. The equipmant may also be
store demos.

A nice way to get "new" at used prices. I bought my 28-135 IS that way
and a friend bought his 10D and maybe his 20D that way. We're both
happy with what we bought.

Check with Adorama and ask if that is what they do.

Summer Wind

"Bob S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4717b765$0$26391$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Not sure about Adorama, a reputable shop, but B&H, another reputable shop,
> has "used" gear that when rated condition 10 is usually refurbed by Canon.
> Where they get them is easy. The Canon Sales Reps turn in their sample
> cases on a regular schedule. The equipment gets a going over by Canon but
> can not be sold as new. The equipmant may also be store demos.
>
> A nice way to get "new" at used prices. I bought my 28-135 IS that way
> and a friend bought his 10D and maybe his 20D that way. We're both happy
> with what we bought.

Thanks and it does appear to be a good way to save a few bucks. The price
difference is not that spectacular, but it does cover the shipping and taxes
you'd pay for new merchandise, plus a little more.

SW

ray

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:57:09 -0500, Summer Wind wrote:

> There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs at
> www.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make one wonder
> why they need refurbishing so soon. How does Canon come by the cameras it
> refurbishes and what does refurbishment usually entail? Have any of you
> bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?
>
> Thanks,
> SW

Generally a product marketed as 'refurbished' has been returned for
repair. The problem may have been very minor or quite major. The idea is
that every subsystem of the product is tested and necessary repairs made.
I've heard folks say that they have more confidence in refurbished
equipment than new - because of thorough testing.

I have no knowledge of canon products, but I've purchased two Kodak
refurbished cameras (a DC210+ and a P850) - I've been completely satisfied
with both. I have also purchased Epson scanners and printers refurbished -
and have been completely satisfied. In all cases I have bought from the
corporate online store.

Frank Arthur

"ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:57:09 -0500, Summer Wind wrote:
>
>> There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs at
>> www.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make
>> one wonder
>> why they need refurbishing so soon. How does Canon come by the
>> cameras it
>> refurbishes and what does refurbishment usually entail? Have any
>> of you
>> bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> SW

> Generally a product marketed as 'refurbished' has been returned for
> repair. The problem may have been very minor or quite major. The
> idea is
> that every subsystem of the product is tested and necessary repairs
> made.
> I've heard folks say that they have more confidence in refurbished
> equipment than new - because of thorough testing.
>
> I have no knowledge of canon products, but I've purchased two Kodak
> refurbished cameras (a DC210+ and a P850) - I've been completely
> satisfied
> with both. I have also purchased Epson scanners and printers
> refurbished -
> and have been completely satisfied. In all cases I have bought from
> the
> corporate online store.

Let's not use doubletalk. Currently hucksters use terms like pre-owned
instead of used.
The fact of the matter is a "refurbished" item is a "used" item. You
do not know how
or where the original user handled the camera or lens. Trying to gloss
it over or
pretend that it is "more thoroughly tested" is pure hype.

dwight

"Frank Arthur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LxQRi.413$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:57:09 -0500, Summer Wind wrote:
>>
>>> There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs at
>>> www.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make one
>>> wonder
>>> why they need refurbishing so soon. How does Canon come by the cameras
>>> it
>>> refurbishes and what does refurbishment usually entail? Have any of you
>>> bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> SW

>> Generally a product marketed as 'refurbished' has been returned for
>> repair. The problem may have been very minor or quite major. The idea is
>> that every subsystem of the product is tested and necessary repairs made.
>> I've heard folks say that they have more confidence in refurbished
>> equipment than new - because of thorough testing.
>>
>> I have no knowledge of canon products, but I've purchased two Kodak
>> refurbished cameras (a DC210+ and a P850) - I've been completely
>> satisfied
>> with both. I have also purchased Epson scanners and printers
>> refurbished -
>> and have been completely satisfied. In all cases I have bought from the
>> corporate online store.

> Let's not use doubletalk. Currently hucksters use terms like pre-owned
> instead of used.
> The fact of the matter is a "refurbished" item is a "used" item. You do
> not know how
> or where the original user handled the camera or lens. Trying to gloss it
> over or
> pretend that it is "more thoroughly tested" is pure hype.

As the new owner of a refurbished Canon S3 IS, I gotta say... I'm hard
pressed to see the difference between refurbished and new. If it didn't come
with a refurbished sticker on the bottom, I wouldn't be able to tell.

dwight
www.tfrog.com

Frank Arthur

news:(E-Mail Removed)...