Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Network Wizard

Network Wizard

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

How do I get the XP Wireless Network Wizard onto and working on my second
computer ( W98se?)
I though I had transferred the files from my XP machine via usb storage OK
as instructed in the Wizard but when I tried to launch setup on the W98
machine I got the message that "the Wizard cannot be used on this machine".
What do I do? Can the Wizard be downloaded onto W98 for example? and why
would it not work?
--
Chris

ANONYMOUS

You just have to double-click on the .exe file that is created by XP (on
your USB or floppy) on your 98SE system. It will then copy all the
necessary system files and settings. Reboot the 98SE PC for changes to
take place.

Alternatively, you can run from Windows XP CD on your Win98SE system.

It is not a wizard like you get in XP. You might have to do manual
changes from Communications section of 98SE.

hth

Chris wrote:

> How do I get the XP Wireless Network Wizard onto and working on my second
> computer ( W98se?)
> I though I had transferred the files from my XP machine via usb storage OK
> as instructed in the Wizard but when I tried to launch setup on the W98
> machine I got the message that "the Wizard cannot be used on this machine".
> What do I do? Can the Wizard be downloaded onto W98 for example? and why
> would it not work?
> --
> Chris

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

I did all that but it did not work. I started again from the begining very
carefully and it seemed to work so far but I still do not have a working
Network ----- the computers cannot see each other. It seems this may be
because W98 computer does not have an IP address. I am trying now to enter
an IP address (obtained from the XP machine) but I cannot find how to do it.
Instruction I get says to open Networks, click on the relevant Card listed
and then on the "IP address tab". There is no such tab. I have searched
everywhere I can think of but cannot find anything like an IP address tab in
the Network menue, in Help or anywhere else. Can you advise with this? How
do I enter an address ii W98se?
--
Chris

"ANONYMOUS" wrote:

> You just have to double-click on the .exe file that is created by XP (on
> your USB or floppy) on your 98SE system. It will then copy all the
> necessary system files and settings. Reboot the 98SE PC for changes to
> take place.
>
> Alternatively, you can run from Windows XP CD on your Win98SE system.
>
> It is not a wizard like you get in XP. You might have to do manual
> changes from Communications section of 98SE.
>
> hth
>

> Chris wrote:
> >
> > How do I get the XP Wireless Network Wizard onto and working on my second
> > computer ( W98se?)
> > I though I had transferred the files from my XP machine via usb storage OK
> > as instructed in the Wizard but when I tried to launch setup on the W98
> > machine I got the message that "the Wizard cannot be used on this machine".
> > What do I do? Can the Wizard be downloaded onto W98 for example? and why
> > would it not work?
> > --
> > Chris

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

I have employed a local computer techi but after nearly 3 hours he was still
unable to get the Network to receive data on my W98 machine. He had to give
up for the present and we are going to try something else. If I had
continued trying on my own (its so very easy I was told) I would have gone on
for ever without success.
--
Chris

"Chris" wrote:

> I did all that but it did not work. I started again from the begining very
> carefully and it seemed to work so far but I still do not have a working
> Network ----- the computers cannot see each other. It seems this may be
> because W98 computer does not have an IP address. I am trying now to enter
> an IP address (obtained from the XP machine) but I cannot find how to do it.
> Instruction I get says to open Networks, click on the relevant Card listed
> and then on the "IP address tab". There is no such tab. I have searched
> everywhere I can think of but cannot find anything like an IP address tab in
> the Network menue, in Help or anywhere else. Can you advise with this? How
> do I enter an address ii W98se?
> --
> Chris
>

> "ANONYMOUS" wrote:
>

> > You just have to double-click on the .exe file that is created by XP (on
> > your USB or floppy) on your 98SE system. It will then copy all the
> > necessary system files and settings. Reboot the 98SE PC for changes to
> > take place.
> >
> > Alternatively, you can run from Windows XP CD on your Win98SE system.
> >
> > It is not a wizard like you get in XP. You might have to do manual
> > changes from Communications section of 98SE.
> >
> > hth
> >

> > Chris wrote:
> > >
> > > How do I get the XP Wireless Network Wizard onto and working on my second
> > > computer ( W98se?)
> > > I though I had transferred the files from my XP machine via usb storage OK
> > > as instructed in the Wizard but when I tried to launch setup on the W98
> > > machine I got the message that "the Wizard cannot be used on this machine".
> > > What do I do? Can the Wizard be downloaded onto W98 for example? and why
> > > would it not work?
> > > --
> > > Chris

Bobo

I managed to network xp with win 98 by installing NetBeui protocol on both
network setups
but you will need to install it on the xp machine from the xp CD as its not
installed by default
look here
http://support.microsoft.com/default...301041&sd=tech for
info