Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What is error 49 from ftdisk and how do I fix it?

What is error 49 from ftdisk and how do I fix it?

HEMI-Powered

Win XP Pro SP2 all updates except October's. Asus mobo, AMD 2.6
gHz, 4 gig memory, ATI Radeon.

A few days ago, my PC started randomly shutting itself down with no
errors reported in Event viewer. I ran chkdsk on all my partitions
including external HD and did a very agressive malware scan. No go.
So, I rolled my system back to a RP prior to when I installed the
MS updates a couple weeks back. Thinking that the updates
themselves were not directly to blame, I thought perhaps there was
some interaction with updates to my malware apps, including Zone
Alarm, eTrust Pest Patrol, and NAV 2006.

For a couple of days, the system was 100% stable and worked well
all day. Last night, the random shut downs started again, still
with no errors in Event viewer. But, this morning after a REALLY
hard time getting Windows to even start without hanging after
Event viewer. A quick look at the MS KB suggests that this is
coming from Windows attempting to write to the pagefile and/or
allocate space and cannot, so it fails. There's other causes but
they don't seem to apply.

Any ideas what is wrong and how to fix it? My next step is to kill
the pagefile completely and rebuild it, as I am pretty sure there
are no bad blocks on C:\. Any ideas would be appreciated

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Never complain, never explain" - Henry Ford II

HEMI-Powered

HEMI-Powered added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

Sorry. Forgot to mention that NO errors are reported from
Windows, any apps, nothing. And, NO BSOD and no stop on error
from my BIOS. Also, I have verified that the PC is NOT auto-
shutting down due to overheating or anything like that. In short,
zero.zero errors up until this morning when I got the ftdisk 49
error. Prior to this morning, I was getting yellow warnings for
ftdisk but no error number, which told me that there was
impending doom but I could find nothing out-of-whack. Thank you
again.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Never complain, never explain" - Henry Ford II

meerkat

"HEMI-Powered" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Win XP Pro SP2 all updates except October's. Asus mobo, AMD 2.6
> gHz, 4 gig memory, ATI Radeon.
>
> A few days ago, my PC started randomly shutting itself down with no
> errors reported in Event viewer. I ran chkdsk on all my partitions
> including external HD and did a very agressive malware scan. No go.
> So, I rolled my system back to a RP prior to when I installed the
> MS updates a couple weeks back. Thinking that the updates
> themselves were not directly to blame, I thought perhaps there was
> some interaction with updates to my malware apps, including Zone
> Alarm, eTrust Pest Patrol, and NAV 2006.
>
> For a couple of days, the system was 100% stable and worked well
> all day. Last night, the random shut downs started again, still
> with no errors in Event viewer. But, this morning after a REALLY
> hard time getting Windows to even start without hanging after
> Event viewer. A quick look at the MS KB suggests that this is
> coming from Windows attempting to write to the pagefile and/or
> allocate space and cannot, so it fails. There's other causes but
> they don't seem to apply.
>
> Any ideas what is wrong and how to fix it? My next step is to kill
> the pagefile completely and rebuild it, as I am pretty sure there
> are no bad blocks on C:\. Any ideas would be appreciated

Page file, and relationship to amount of RAM ?.
Try it with 2megs of RAM.

HEMI-Powered

meerkat added these comments in the current discussion du jour

> "HEMI-Powered" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Win XP Pro SP2 all updates except October's. Asus mobo, AMD
>> 2.6 gHz, 4 gig memory, ATI Radeon.
>>
>> A few days ago, my PC started randomly shutting itself down
>> with no errors reported in Event viewer. I ran chkdsk on all
>> my partitions including external HD and did a very agressive
>> malware scan. No go. So, I rolled my system back to a RP
>> prior to when I installed the MS updates a couple weeks back.
>> Thinking that the updates themselves were not directly to
>> blame, I thought perhaps there was some interaction with
>> updates to my malware apps, including Zone Alarm, eTrust Pest
>> Patrol, and NAV 2006.
>>
>> For a couple of days, the system was 100% stable and worked
>> well all day. Last night, the random shut downs started
>> again, still with no errors in Event viewer. But, this
>> morning after a REALLY hard time getting Windows to even
>> start without hanging after loading my account settings, I
>> noticed a red ftdisk error 49 in Event viewer. A quick look
>> at the MS KB suggests that this is coming from Windows
>> attempting to write to the pagefile and/or allocate space and
>> cannot, so it fails. There's other causes but they don't seem
>> to apply.
>>
>> Any ideas what is wrong and how to fix it? My next step is to
>> kill the pagefile completely and rebuild it, as I am pretty
>> sure there are no bad blocks on C:\. Any ideas would be
>> appreciated
>>

> Page file, and relationship to amount of RAM ?.
> Try it with 2megs of RAM.

Don't know. I am not at 4 gig, although only 3 are addressable. I
have since ran some more chkdsks on several of my volumes except
C:\ which I will do later. No errors found. I also turned paging
completely off - zero page file - and restarted, deleted
pagefile.sys, then turned on System Managed pagefule, which is
about 3 gig out of about 38 gig in my C:\ partition. Don't know
yet if rebuilding the pagefile in this way will help or not.

Why would reducing memory have anything to do with anything? And,
why all of a sudden did this occur? This PC has been rock solid
stable for over 2 years, very rarely requiring a restart running
24x7 except when some update from MS, Symantec, or other requires
a restart.

Thanks for you help, you can see that I'm still pretty confused
but trying to learn as quickly as I can. Any other ideas would
certainly be appreciated.

--

> meerkat added these comments in the current discussion du jour
>
>> "HEMI-Powered" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> Win XP Pro SP2 all updates except October's. Asus mobo, AMD
>>> 2.6 gHz, 4 gig memory, ATI Radeon.
>>>
>>> A few days ago, my PC started randomly shutting itself down
>>> with no errors reported in Event viewer. I ran chkdsk on all
>>> my partitions including external HD and did a very agressive
>>> malware scan. No go. So, I rolled my system back to a RP
>>> prior to when I installed the MS updates a couple weeks back.
>>> Thinking that the updates themselves were not directly to
>>> blame, I thought perhaps there was some interaction with
>>> updates to my malware apps, including Zone Alarm, eTrust Pest
>>> Patrol, and NAV 2006.
>>>
>>> For a couple of days, the system was 100% stable and worked
>>> well all day. Last night, the random shut downs started
>>> again, still with no errors in Event viewer. But, this
>>> morning after a REALLY hard time getting Windows to even
>>> start without hanging after loading my account settings, I
>>> noticed a red ftdisk error 49 in Event viewer. A quick look
>>> at the MS KB suggests that this is coming from Windows
>>> attempting to write to the pagefile and/or allocate space and
>>> cannot, so it fails. There's other causes but they don't seem
>>> to apply.
>>>
>>> Any ideas what is wrong and how to fix it? My next step is to
>>> kill the pagefile completely and rebuild it, as I am pretty
>>> sure there are no bad blocks on C:\. Any ideas would be
>>> appreciated
>>>

>> Page file, and relationship to amount of RAM ?.
>> Try it with 2megs of RAM.
>>

> Don't know. I am not at 4 gig, although only 3 are addressable. I
> have since ran some more chkdsks on several of my volumes except
> C:\ which I will do later. No errors found. I also turned paging
> completely off - zero page file - and restarted, deleted
> pagefile.sys, then turned on System Managed pagefule, which is
> about 3 gig out of about 38 gig in my C:\ partition. Don't know
> yet if rebuilding the pagefile in this way will help or not.
>
> Why would reducing memory have anything to do with anything? And,
> why all of a sudden did this occur? This PC has been rock solid
> stable for over 2 years, very rarely requiring a restart running
> 24x7 except when some update from MS, Symantec, or other requires
> a restart.
>
> Thanks for you help, you can see that I'm still pretty confused
> but trying to learn as quickly as I can. Any other ideas would
> certainly be appreciated.

I`m getting old H., and my memory is not as good as it used to be,
but I vaguely remember something about the pagefile being set at
1.5 x the amount of RAM.
So I thought, to save you altering anything, it would be quicker to
reduce the amount of RAM, as a test.
bw..

old man

With a random shutdown you might try a www.memtest.org and run memtest for
several hours

> [...]

> stable for over 2 years, very rarely requiring a restart running
> 24x7 except when some update from MS, Symantec, or other requires
> a restart.
>
> Thanks for you help, you can see that I'm still pretty confused
> but trying to learn as quickly as I can. Any other ideas would
> certainly be appreciated.
>
> --
> HP, aka Jerry
>
> "Never complain, never explain" - Henry Ford II

HEMI-Powered

meerkat added these comments in the current discussion du jour

> I`m getting old H., and my memory is not as good as it used to
> be, but I vaguely remember something about the pagefile being
> set at 1.5 x the amount of RAM.
> So I thought, to save you altering anything, it would be
> quicker to reduce the amount of RAM, as a test.

The usual and proper way I understand to set the size of the
pagefile, absent special needs or special knowledge, is to select
the radio button "system managed size", which appears to be about
10% or a little less. I, too, vaguely remember the 1.5X thingy
maybe from Win98. But, whatever the pagefile is or is not supposed
to be set at doesn't yet explain why it ran hot, straight, and
normal until a couple of days ago, and why no errors are reported
anyplace doing any diagnostics I know about, except the ftdisk
error 49 which points to pagefile.sys and some other stuff. As to
reducing RAM, that is taking a brute force approach, not a measured
or logical approach. First, it requires the case to be taken off
and second risks damaging either an expensive 1 gig card or the
mother board, neither of which I am inclined to do until I have a
LOT more info that I currently have.

Thank you for the ideas, I will nose around and see what I can
find. Meanwhile, as I think I stated a short whilee ago, I killed
the pagefile and rebuilt it back to its "system managed" size and
am waiting to see if that does or does not fix the problem. What is
so annoying is that what appears to be a HD write error or a memory
allocation error would manifest itself not as a BSOD with a code I
could investigate, but as a random restart.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Never complain, never explain" - Henry Ford II

HEMI-Powered

old man added these comments in the current discussion du jour

> With a random shutdown you might try a www.memtest.org and run
> memtest for several hours

Hadn't thought of a memory test. I'll try that one and a
comprehensive utility that stresses the system to the max. Thanks
for the heads up.

--

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"HEMI-Powered" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I noticed a red ftdisk error 49 in
>Event viewer. A quick look at the MS KB suggests that this is
>coming from Windows attempting to write to the pagefile and/or
>allocate space and cannot, so it fails. There's other causes but
>they don't seem to apply.

Delete your pagefile on each shutdown, it's recreated on each startup?

Also
"1) This error can occur when you increase the RAM in a machine
without increasing the page file accordingly. Then if the machine
crashes, the page file is too small for the memory dump."
http://www.compatdb.org/ubbthreads.p.../143480/page/1

In that respect you might try:

Start | Run <type in>
drwtsn32
<enter>

Unselect "create crash dump file" (really I only have sound
notification selected)

You have no use for a crash dump files, might also search for *.dmp
files and delete them all they can be huge.
--

50 Dumb Thrillseeking Deaths
http://experiencedays.tv/bizarre/dum...aths/index.php

chuckcar

"HEMI-Powered" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Win XP Pro SP2 all updates except October's. Asus mobo, AMD 2.6
> gHz, 4 gig memory, ATI Radeon.
>
> A few days ago, my PC started randomly shutting itself down with no
> errors reported in Event viewer. I ran chkdsk on all my partitions
> including external HD and did a very agressive malware scan. No go.
> So, I rolled my system back to a RP prior to when I installed the
> MS updates a couple weeks back. Thinking that the updates
> themselves were not directly to blame, I thought perhaps there was
> some interaction with updates to my malware apps, including Zone
> Alarm, eTrust Pest Patrol, and NAV 2006.
>
> For a couple of days, the system was 100% stable and worked well
> all day. Last night, the random shut downs started again, still
> with no errors in Event viewer. But, this morning after a REALLY
> hard time getting Windows to even start without hanging after
> Event viewer. A quick look at the MS KB suggests that this is
> coming from Windows attempting to write to the pagefile and/or
> allocate space and cannot, so it fails. There's other causes but
> they don't seem to apply.
>
> Any ideas what is wrong and how to fix it? My next step is to kill
> the pagefile completely and rebuild it, as I am pretty sure there
> are no bad blocks on C:\. Any ideas would be appreciated

Have you run a scandisk on the drive and deleted any used unallocated
blocks (those that it normally puts in a .chk file)? It may be that
there is no space free on the drive due to improperly close files
leading to loads of "unused" clusters.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )