Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Trouble running trial version setup

Trouble running trial version setup

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5IFdhZ25lcg==?=

Hi - this is my first post here. I am having trouble running XP Pro 64-bit
trial setup. I had downloaded the ISO from Microsoft, and burned it onto a
CD-ROM. Ran the setup from boot, and the setup program goes through its
process loading the drivers and whatnot that is needed for setup.

However, after it's done loading everything needed, the setup program
reboots my machine - I didn't get a chance to choose where I wanted to setup
the OS, or whatever. From what I can tell, the program reboots after the
message "loading Windows NT file system" or something like that - can't be
absolutely sure, as it only appears very briefly. I don't see any kind of
error message, either.

I've tried re-downloading the ISO, thinkning I had a corrupt download, but
the 2nd one I got is the exact same size as the original, so I don't think
this is the problem. I don't think I have a corrupt burn either - otherwise
setup wouldn't run in the first place, right? Nevertheless, the program I
used for that didn't give me any error, either. The hardware has been
working fine since Day 1 I got this machine 2 years ago.

I have checked with the manufacturer of my motherboard for a BIOS update I
seem to already have the latest - last updated back in May, 2006, so I don't
think it's an issue with that. I have heard some having trouble with Raid
support, but I have this disabled in my BIOS as I don't have a need for it.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to make sure I covered the common
problems first. I would really appreciate any input.

Here are my specs:

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (this *should* support the OS)
Memory: 1 GB DDR 400
Hard Disk: I have 2 - 1 SATA 120 MB drive (Western Digital, has 32-bit XP
Pro), & 1 IDE 6 GB drive (Quantum Fireball - this is the drive I intend to
install the 64-bit trial - it's empty)

Tony Sperling

Your MB/Chipset may require you to supply the RAID driver on a Floppy, at
the "F6" message for SATA support - not unusual 2 years ago!

Otherwise, you should be fine, as far as I can see - Note, although the disc
is booting it is no guarantee that the image has binary equality, if unsure
use the checksum to verify.

Tony. . .

"Jay Wagner" <Jay http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi - this is my first post here. I am having trouble running XP Pro
> 64-bit
> trial setup. I had downloaded the ISO from Microsoft, and burned it onto
> CD-ROM. Ran the setup from boot, and the setup program goes through its
> process loading the drivers and whatnot that is needed for setup.
>
> However, after it's done loading everything needed, the setup program
> reboots my machine - I didn't get a chance to choose where I wanted to
> setup
> the OS, or whatever. From what I can tell, the program reboots after the
> message "loading Windows NT file system" or something like that - can't be
> absolutely sure, as it only appears very briefly. I don't see any kind of
> error message, either.
>
> I've tried re-downloading the ISO, thinkning I had a corrupt download, but
> the 2nd one I got is the exact same size as the original, so I don't think
> this is the problem. I don't think I have a corrupt burn either -
> otherwise
> setup wouldn't run in the first place, right? Nevertheless, the program I
> used for that didn't give me any error, either. The hardware has been
> working fine since Day 1 I got this machine 2 years ago.
>
> I have checked with the manufacturer of my motherboard for a BIOS update I
> seem to already have the latest - last updated back in May, 2006, so I
> don't
> think it's an issue with that. I have heard some having trouble with Raid
> support, but I have this disabled in my BIOS as I don't have a need for
> it.
>
> Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to make sure I covered the common
> problems first. I would really appreciate any input.
>
> Here are my specs:
>
> Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
> CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (this *should* support the OS)
> Memory: 1 GB DDR 400
> Hard Disk: I have 2 - 1 SATA 120 MB drive (Western Digital, has 32-bit XP
> Pro), & 1 IDE 6 GB drive (Quantum Fireball - this is the drive I intend to
> install the 64-bit trial - it's empty)

Dominic Payer

With RAID disabled you should have no problem installing x64 XP on the K8N
Platinum with an nForce 4 chipset.

Either you have a bad burn - reburn at the lowest possible speed - or there
is a memory or other hardware fault.

Verify the checksum of the burned disk, and if it is OK try Memtest
http://www.memtest.org/ to check the memory.

"Jay Wagner" <Jay (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi - this is my first post here. I am having trouble running XP Pro
> 64-bit
> trial setup. I had downloaded the ISO from Microsoft, and burned it onto
> CD-ROM. Ran the setup from boot, and the setup program goes through its
> process loading the drivers and whatnot that is needed for setup.
>
> However, after it's done loading everything needed, the setup program
> reboots my machine - I didn't get a chance to choose where I wanted to
> setup
> the OS, or whatever. From what I can tell, the program reboots after the
> message "loading Windows NT file system" or something like that - can't be
> absolutely sure, as it only appears very briefly. I don't see any kind of
> error message, either.
>
> I've tried re-downloading the ISO, thinkning I had a corrupt download, but
> the 2nd one I got is the exact same size as the original, so I don't think
> this is the problem. I don't think I have a corrupt burn either -
> otherwise
> setup wouldn't run in the first place, right? Nevertheless, the program I
> used for that didn't give me any error, either. The hardware has been
> working fine since Day 1 I got this machine 2 years ago.
>
> I have checked with the manufacturer of my motherboard for a BIOS update I
> seem to already have the latest - last updated back in May, 2006, so I
> don't
> think it's an issue with that. I have heard some having trouble with Raid
> support, but I have this disabled in my BIOS as I don't have a need for
> it.
>
> Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to make sure I covered the common
> problems first. I would really appreciate any input.
>
> Here are my specs:
>
> Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
> CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (this *should* support the OS)
> Memory: 1 GB DDR 400
> Hard Disk: I have 2 - 1 SATA 120 MB drive (Western Digital, has 32-bit XP
> Pro), & 1 IDE 6 GB drive (Quantum Fireball - this is the drive I intend to
> install the 64-bit trial - it's empty)

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5IFdhZ25lcg==?=

Thanks Tony for your suggestion. If I have any further trouble, should I
post a reply to this thread or start a new one?

"Jay Wagner" wrote:

> Hi - this is my first post here. I am having trouble running XP Pro 64-bit
> trial setup. I had downloaded the ISO from Microsoft, and burned it onto a
> CD-ROM. Ran the setup from boot, and the setup program goes through its
> process loading the drivers and whatnot that is needed for setup.
>
> However, after it's done loading everything needed, the setup program
> reboots my machine - I didn't get a chance to choose where I wanted to setup
> the OS, or whatever. From what I can tell, the program reboots after the
> message "loading Windows NT file system" or something like that - can't be
> absolutely sure, as it only appears very briefly. I don't see any kind of
> error message, either.
>
> I've tried re-downloading the ISO, thinkning I had a corrupt download, but
> the 2nd one I got is the exact same size as the original, so I don't think
> this is the problem. I don't think I have a corrupt burn either - otherwise
> setup wouldn't run in the first place, right? Nevertheless, the program I
> used for that didn't give me any error, either. The hardware has been
> working fine since Day 1 I got this machine 2 years ago.
>
> I have checked with the manufacturer of my motherboard for a BIOS update I
> seem to already have the latest - last updated back in May, 2006, so I don't
> think it's an issue with that. I have heard some having trouble with Raid
> support, but I have this disabled in my BIOS as I don't have a need for it.
>
> Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to make sure I covered the common
> problems first. I would really appreciate any input.
>
> Here are my specs:
>
> Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
> CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (this *should* support the OS)
> Memory: 1 GB DDR 400
> Hard Disk: I have 2 - 1 SATA 120 MB drive (Western Digital, has 32-bit XP
> Pro), & 1 IDE 6 GB drive (Quantum Fireball - this is the drive I intend to
> install the 64-bit trial - it's empty)

Tony Sperling

It's a good thing whenever we get an update - if it's within a few days,
better do it here, as sometimes resolving problems can take quite a bit
longer I'll leave it up to you. It doesn't really matter.

If the issue changes completely during the while, contemplating a new thread
would be in order, but we won't eat you either way, Jay!

Tony. . .

"Jay Wagner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Tony for your suggestion. If I have any further trouble, should I
> post a reply to this thread or start a new one?
>
> "Jay Wagner" wrote:
>
>> Hi - this is my first post here. I am having trouble running XP Pro
>> 64-bit
>> trial setup. I had downloaded the ISO from Microsoft, and burned it onto
>> CD-ROM. Ran the setup from boot, and the setup program goes through its
>> process loading the drivers and whatnot that is needed for setup.
>>
>> However, after it's done loading everything needed, the setup program
>> reboots my machine - I didn't get a chance to choose where I wanted to
>> setup
>> the OS, or whatever. From what I can tell, the program reboots after the
>> message "loading Windows NT file system" or something like that - can't
>> be
>> absolutely sure, as it only appears very briefly. I don't see any kind
>> of
>> error message, either.
>>
>> I've tried re-downloading the ISO, thinkning I had a corrupt download,
>> but
>> the 2nd one I got is the exact same size as the original, so I don't
>> think
>> this is the problem. I don't think I have a corrupt burn either -
>> otherwise
>> setup wouldn't run in the first place, right? Nevertheless, the program
>> used for that didn't give me any error, either. The hardware has been
>> working fine since Day 1 I got this machine 2 years ago.
>>
>> I have checked with the manufacturer of my motherboard for a BIOS update
>> seem to already have the latest - last updated back in May, 2006, so I
>> don't
>> think it's an issue with that. I have heard some having trouble with
>> Raid
>> support, but I have this disabled in my BIOS as I don't have a need for
>> it.
>>
>> Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to make sure I covered the common
>> problems first. I would really appreciate any input.
>>
>> Here are my specs:
>>
>> Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
>> CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (this *should* support the OS)
>> Memory: 1 GB DDR 400
>> Hard Disk: I have 2 - 1 SATA 120 MB drive (Western Digital, has 32-bit
>> XP
>> Pro), & 1 IDE 6 GB drive (Quantum Fireball - this is the drive I intend
>> install the 64-bit trial - it's empty)

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5IFdhZ25lcg==?=

Thanks you guys for your input. I've downloaded a newer driver for my SATA
drive that supports the 64-bit version and extracted the zip file to a blank
floppy. Then I rebooted, ran setup, and pressed F6 when prompted. This time
I got further than before, so I pressed enter to bypass setting up the SATA
(remember, I want to install this on the 2nd drive, which is IDE, not SATA.
), and it continued to load the rest of the drivers. However, it still
reboots - I just get a little further than before (If it makes it easier to
describe, I don't get to the 'End User Liscence Agreement' screen.)

Puzzled, I called the store where I got my system 2 years ago (nice place to
buy hardware, btw - http://www.infotechnow.com) , and spoke to a technician
on the phone. We verified that the hardware I got supports this OS, however
he suggested bringing it in as it's hard to tell what's going w/o taking a
look. He told me he doesn't think I have a hardware problem - of course the
only surefire way to tell is to send it in, which I don't want to do, as I am
constantly using this machine.

I've been using this computer for 2 years with no hardware problems.
Dominic - I appreciate your suggestion of testing the memory, but if it was a
memory problem, wouldn't that manifest itself when I'm using the 32-bit
version (like the system rebooting by itself or something)? I *never* had
a "BSOD" or a "Windows STOP" error since the time I've used this machine.

The only suggestion he had was to contact Microsoft to get a CD from them -
that way I know for sure I am getting a good copy, unless you guys can show
me exactly what I do with the checksum - in terms of what or where I can find
the "official" checksum to compare to what I got. Here is the checksum -

"c983b75bbda964336c87996dec8838ca *WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN.iso" (w/o quotes,
obviosly)

Tony Sperling

The checksum - I've only used Nero ( and K3B on Linux ) they have a feature
to run the check from inside. I've only done this as a process of the actual
'burning'. I don't know how you would treat it on a disc after it has been
burned. You should verify the ISO before burning, as well as the disc you
have just burned, since it is quite possible to succesfully burn a bad
download!

The memory - the 64bit OS is actually said to put more stress on the
memory - it certainly uses the memory differently, so errors are not
uncommon between the two. Personally, on a machine your age, I'd carefullly
re-seat the memory and everything else inside that has a connector. Most
professionals throw away anything that hints on errors, but I wouldn't do
that on my own equipment untill failing the obvious salvage operations. You
could even try and swap the sticks in their respective banks (rotate them,
one for the other).

The thing about IDE and SATA can have it's own implications, if the IDE
drive is the second drive, it will be counted as the first drive if the SATA
drive is not recognised. But the SATA drive obviously is the system drive
with the MBR on it, so this could easily confuse the installer.

I would gently go over the internals of your machine and rename the original
ISO and download it again, clean your CD/DVD drive and use quality media -
then burn at sloow speed as Dominic suggested.

Testing the memory takes a long time - I would only try that if it fails
again - (rephrase) - take the time to do it sometime anyway even if it does
install!

Tony. . .

"Jay Wagner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks you guys for your input. I've downloaded a newer driver for my
> SATA
> drive that supports the 64-bit version and extracted the zip file to a
> blank
> floppy. Then I rebooted, ran setup, and pressed F6 when prompted. This
> time
> I got further than before, so I pressed enter to bypass setting up the
> SATA
> (remember, I want to install this on the 2nd drive, which is IDE, not
> SATA.
> ), and it continued to load the rest of the drivers. However, it
> still
> reboots - I just get a little further than before (If it makes it easier
> describe, I don't get to the 'End User Liscence Agreement' screen.)
>
> Puzzled, I called the store where I got my system 2 years ago (nice place
> buy hardware, btw - http://www.infotechnow.com) , and spoke to a
> technician
> on the phone. We verified that the hardware I got supports this OS,
> however
> he suggested bringing it in as it's hard to tell what's going w/o taking a
> look. He told me he doesn't think I have a hardware problem - of course
> the
> only surefire way to tell is to send it in, which I don't want to do, as I
> am
> constantly using this machine.
>
> I've been using this computer for 2 years with no hardware problems.
> Dominic - I appreciate your suggestion of testing the memory, but if it
> was a
> memory problem, wouldn't that manifest itself when I'm using the 32-bit
> version (like the system rebooting by itself or something)? I *never*
> had
> a "BSOD" or a "Windows STOP" error since the time I've used this machine.
>
> The only suggestion he had was to contact Microsoft to get a CD from
> them -
> that way I know for sure I am getting a good copy, unless you guys can
> show
> me exactly what I do with the checksum - in terms of what or where I can
> find
> the "official" checksum to compare to what I got. Here is the checksum -
>
> "c983b75bbda964336c87996dec8838ca *WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN.iso" (w/o
> quotes,
> obviosly)

R. C. White

Hi, Jay.

> (remember, I want to install this on the 2nd drive, which is IDE, not
> SATA.

Probably one of the most-misunderstood phrases in installing Windows. :>(

No matter where you install Windows or Vista, 32-bit or 64-bit, the boot-up
will always start in the System Partition, then follow the instructions in
WinXP's Boot.ini or Vista's BCD to find the Boot Volume for the operating
system. (The terms "system volume" and "boot volume" are counterintuitive
and this causes most of the confusion. Remember that we boot from the
system partition (not the boot volume) and keep all our operating system
files in the boot volume (which may or may not be the same as the system
volume). See KB 314470, Definitions for system volume and boot volume,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.../314470/EN-US/)

So, even if you install Windows on the IDE drive, if the SATA is designated
in your BIOS as the boot device, then the SATA drivers must be used to start
this session. After the POST and a few other opening procedures, the main
action will switch from your SATA to your IDE drive. But those critical
first few steps depend on that SATA drive - and its drivers.

To bypass the SATA drive entirely, you would need to designate your IDE
drive as the boot device, then run Setup in that configuration. And then
you would have to tell the BIOS to boot from IDE every time you want to run
whatever you installed with that setup. This is not the kind of "dual-boot"
system that MS had in mind, but many users do it this way. And, if you are
trying to add WinXP x64 to an existing Vista installation, you might prefer
to do it this way, although I wouldn't.

I don't think you have a hardware problem, or a memory problem, or a CRC
problem. You just need to get the proper drivers installed for the HD that
your boot-up actually starts from. In other words, install the SATA drivers
so that the computer can find instructions there (in the System Partition)
to find Windows on your IDE drive (in the WinXP x64 boot volume). Or set
your BIOS to boot from the IDE drive. Note that you don't need the SATA
drivers installed at boot time unless you are booting from the SATA drive.
You don't need them to use the SATA as "just another data drive".

In case you are wondering, after the 64-bit drivers are properly installed,
you can easily dual-boot into 32-bit Windows from that drive, too.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Jay Wagner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks you guys for your input. I've downloaded a newer driver for my
> SATA
> drive that supports the 64-bit version and extracted the zip file to a
> blank
> floppy. Then I rebooted, ran setup, and pressed F6 when prompted. This
> time
> I got further than before, so I pressed enter to bypass setting up the
> SATA
> (remember, I want to install this on the 2nd drive, which is IDE, not
> SATA.
> ), and it continued to load the rest of the drivers. However, it
> still
> reboots - I just get a little further than before (If it makes it easier
> describe, I don't get to the 'End User Liscence Agreement' screen.)
>
> Puzzled, I called the store where I got my system 2 years ago (nice place
> buy hardware, btw - http://www.infotechnow.com) , and spoke to a
> technician
> on the phone. We verified that the hardware I got supports this OS,
> however
> he suggested bringing it in as it's hard to tell what's going w/o taking a
> look. He told me he doesn't think I have a hardware problem - of course
> the
> only surefire way to tell is to send it in, which I don't want to do, as I
> am
> constantly using this machine.
>
> I've been using this computer for 2 years with no hardware problems.
> Dominic - I appreciate your suggestion of testing the memory, but if it
> was a
> memory problem, wouldn't that manifest itself when I'm using the 32-bit
> version (like the system rebooting by itself or something)? I *never*
> had
> a "BSOD" or a "Windows STOP" error since the time I've used this machine.
>
> The only suggestion he had was to contact Microsoft to get a CD from
> them -
> that way I know for sure I am getting a good copy, unless you guys can
> show
> me exactly what I do with the checksum - in terms of what or where I can
> find
> the "official" checksum to compare to what I got. Here is the checksum -
>
> "c983b75bbda964336c87996dec8838ca *WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN.iso" (w/o
> quotes,
> obviosly)

Dominic Payer

With RAID disabled, all the nForce 4 drivers needed for the motherboard are
included on the x64 CD.

If the burn is good, the most likely problem is memory. x64 stresses the
memory differently from x86, and the basic system location addresses are
different. It is possible that a weak or bad memory element was either never
called on or not stressed enough to fail in x86, or showed Event Log errors
which did not stop the machine.

"R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

>> Dominic - I appreciate your suggestion of testing the memory, but if it
>> was a
>> memory problem, wouldn't that manifest itself when I'm using the 32-bit
>> version (like the system rebooting by itself or something)? I *never*
>> had
>> a "BSOD" or a "Windows STOP" error since the time I've used this machine.
>>
>> The only suggestion he had was to contact Microsoft to get a CD from
>> them -
>> that way I know for sure I am getting a good copy, unless you guys can
>> show
>> me exactly what I do with the checksum - in terms of what or where I can
>> find
>> the "official" checksum to compare to what I got. Here is the checksum -
>>
>> "c983b75bbda964336c87996dec8838ca *WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN.iso" (w/o

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5IFdhZ25lcg==?=

I appreciate everyone's input here.

The floppies I have do not have any kind of boot information on them that
the system will recognize, so exactly how do I install them before the OS?
From what I understand from what the manufacturer has on their site (Silicon
Image Sil 3114 SATA Raid) that the driver on the floppy is to be utilized
during Windows setup. Anyway, if I leave the disk in the drive by itself, I
get a message from the system to "remove all disks and press any key to
reboot." nor is there a DOS executable, either.

But anyway - this time I tried unplugging the cable to my SATA drive, AND
reconfiguring the hard disk configuration & boot priority. Beforehand - this
is how I had the drives configured

Primary IDE Device: My DVD drive (16x R+-/RW+-/DL)
Primary Slave: None
Secondary IDE Device: Quantum Fireball IDE drive (6 GB)
Secondary Slave: None
3rd IDE Device: Western Digital 120 GB SATA drive (120 GB)

I was thinking maybe the setup was getting confused here, so I swapped the
Primary and Secondaary and left the SATA unplugged (from the disk - I left it
plugged in the board). Also set in the BIOS to have the IDE disk (Quantum)
as the first boot drive, too. Then I tried running setup again with a newer
copy of the downlaoded ISO burned at 1X on a different media that I knew was
good (haven't used and in the original packing since I got it for my birthday
last July), but nope - I still have the same problem - setup reboots after
wording).

SO.....If I had unplugged the SATA drive, wouldn't setup just ignore this
and nullify what R.C. White suggested (no offense to his suggestion)? Or
would it make a difference if I unplugged the cable from the board as well?
Also, I tested my memory and ran it for 10 cycles for 5 hours, but got no
errors whatsoever, if that helps.

My board is at least 2 years old, probably a bit more, but the BIOS I have
is dated from May 2006. The manufacturer states they made a minor fix
reguarding their Logo displaying at setup, but if there was any issue with
64-bit OS compatibility with Windows, they would've addressed that then or in
an earlier release, right?

Maybe I should contact Microsoft for an 'official' CD?