Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Trouble running trial version setup

Trouble running trial version setup

Tony Sperling

It's great to see a bit of well founded disagreement. None of what I've seen
here can be said to be wrong or off the mark. It's all usefull information.
These other guys are far more professional than me, anyway. Solving a
problem, however, to me is a bit like playing golf - if with each stroke you
manage to substantially shorten the distance to the flag, you're doing
alright. Not being in the middle of the runway, or not as far ahead as you'd
wished isn't automatically a miss.

Here, with a lot of 'unknowns' (we have a problem, it could be hardware or
software. Driver or a simple connection) I believe, the next time you have
this error it will be usefull to have eliminated most of all these
alternatives. I agree completely with R.C. - I also don't think it's a
memory problem or checksum, but the next time you error out you'll be glad
if you've eliminated the possibility, and I believe NOW is a better time to
do it.

With this last step, I think you have made a step forward - but your
configuration of the IDE channels seem to be somewhat uncommon. I don't
think it really matters, but:

I would certainly put the System drive (HD) on the Primary IDE
CD/DVD's on the Secondary IDE

where the SATA ends up will be a question of how the system is built - the
engineers probably had some sort of vision in their mind when they laid it
out and there could be nameless considerations to finally determine this -
at other times details in the physical lay-out will decide for you. Beyond
this, I believe the optical reader sits best in the Master slot and the
burner configured as Slave. Your system may have it otherwise.

But then, Dominic seems to be familiar with the actual board and chipset -
yes, I would certainly begin by disconnecting the machine and putting it on
a well lit table and give all the wires and components a gentle 'wiggle' and
if the problem persist dowmload a good memory tester and run it for a day or
two.

Tony. . .

"Jay Wagner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

>> R. C. White, CPA
>> San Marcos, TX
>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>> (Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 beta v.275)
>>
>> "Jay Wagner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Thanks you guys for your input. I've downloaded a newer driver for my
>> > SATA
>> > drive that supports the 64-bit version and extracted the zip file to a
>> > blank
>> > floppy. Then I rebooted, ran setup, and pressed F6 when prompted.
>> > This
>> > time
>> > I got further than before, so I pressed enter to bypass setting up the
>> > SATA
>> > (remember, I want to install this on the 2nd drive, which is IDE, not
>> > SATA.
>> > ), and it continued to load the rest of the drivers. However, it
>> > still
>> > reboots - I just get a little further than before (If it makes it
>> > easier
>> > describe, I don't get to the 'End User Liscence Agreement' screen.)
>> >
>> > Puzzled, I called the store where I got my system 2 years ago (nice
>> > place
>> > buy hardware, btw - http://www.infotechnow.com) , and spoke to a
>> > technician
>> > on the phone. We verified that the hardware I got supports this OS,
>> > however
>> > he suggested bringing it in as it's hard to tell what's going w/o
>> > taking a
>> > look. He told me he doesn't think I have a hardware problem - of
>> > course
>> > the
>> > only surefire way to tell is to send it in, which I don't want to do,
>> > as I
>> > am
>> > constantly using this machine.
>> >
>> > I've been using this computer for 2 years with no hardware problems.
>> > Dominic - I appreciate your suggestion of testing the memory, but if it
>> > was a
>> > memory problem, wouldn't that manifest itself when I'm using the 32-bit
>> > version (like the system rebooting by itself or something)? I
>> > *never*
>> > had
>> > a "BSOD" or a "Windows STOP" error since the time I've used this
>> > machine.
>> >
>> > The only suggestion he had was to contact Microsoft to get a CD from
>> > them -
>> > that way I know for sure I am getting a good copy, unless you guys can
>> > show
>> > me exactly what I do with the checksum - in terms of what or where I
>> > can
>> > find
>> > the "official" checksum to compare to what I got. Here is the
>> > checksum -
>> >
>> > "c983b75bbda964336c87996dec8838ca *WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN.iso" (w/o

Dominic Payer

I think your original checksum was correct, so the burn is good.

Since the memory tests OK - the lowest part of the memory is not tested as
it holds the test program, so it might be worth swapping the memory chips
and retesting - I think the Quantum Fireball is probably bad. It is quite
old now and disk surfaces deteriorate with time.

Quantum were taken over by Maxtor who have now been taken over by Seagate.
You may be able to test the drive with SeaTools
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...oads/seatools/

The SiS SATA drivers are not needed as you have disabled RAID in the BIOS.

> [...]

>> > was a
>> > memory problem, wouldn't that manifest itself when I'm using the 32-bit
>> > version (like the system rebooting by itself or something)? I
>> > *never*
>> > had
>> > a "BSOD" or a "Windows STOP" error since the time I've used this
>> > machine.
>> >
>> > The only suggestion he had was to contact Microsoft to get a CD from
>> > them -
>> > that way I know for sure I am getting a good copy, unless you guys can
>> > show
>> > me exactly what I do with the checksum - in terms of what or where I
>> > can
>> > find
>> > the "official" checksum to compare to what I got. Here is the
>> > checksum -
>> >
>> > "c983b75bbda964336c87996dec8838ca *WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN.iso" (w/o

John Barnes

With the SATA disconnected as you have said, do you see your Quantum drive
in POST?
Could you be a little more specific as to what is going on in your second
paragraph.
The system should go thru POST, followed by the message about hitting any
key to boot from the CD.
After hitting the key, Windows will commence loading files (drivers and the
recovery console among others) followed by the option to go into recovery
console or to install. There are no scheduled reboots during this time.
Also, early in the load, on the bottom of the screen there is a message to
hit F6 to add drivers. Do you see this message (I realise you don't need
drivers)
Are you using PS2 keyboard and mouse, or USB.

"Jay Wagner" <Jay (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi - this is my first post here. I am having trouble running XP Pro
> 64-bit
> trial setup. I had downloaded the ISO from Microsoft, and burned it onto
> CD-ROM. Ran the setup from boot, and the setup program goes through its
> process loading the drivers and whatnot that is needed for setup.
>
> However, after it's done loading everything needed, the setup program
> reboots my machine - I didn't get a chance to choose where I wanted to
> setup
> the OS, or whatever. From what I can tell, the program reboots after the
> message "loading Windows NT file system" or something like that - can't be
> absolutely sure, as it only appears very briefly. I don't see any kind of
> error message, either.
>
> I've tried re-downloading the ISO, thinkning I had a corrupt download, but
> the 2nd one I got is the exact same size as the original, so I don't think
> this is the problem. I don't think I have a corrupt burn either -
> otherwise
> setup wouldn't run in the first place, right? Nevertheless, the program I
> used for that didn't give me any error, either. The hardware has been
> working fine since Day 1 I got this machine 2 years ago.
>
> I have checked with the manufacturer of my motherboard for a BIOS update I
> seem to already have the latest - last updated back in May, 2006, so I
> don't
> think it's an issue with that. I have heard some having trouble with Raid
> support, but I have this disabled in my BIOS as I don't have a need for
> it.
>
> Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to make sure I covered the common
> problems first. I would really appreciate any input.
>
> Here are my specs:
>
> Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
> CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (this *should* support the OS)
> Memory: 1 GB DDR 400
> Hard Disk: I have 2 - 1 SATA 120 MB drive (Western Digital, has 32-bit XP
> Pro), & 1 IDE 6 GB drive (Quantum Fireball - this is the drive I intend to
> install the 64-bit trial - it's empty)

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5IFdhZ25lcg==?=

First of all, if there was a problem with the keyboard, nothing would've
happened when I pressed F6 - which does work, as it prompts me if I want to
set up a SATA drive or just press enter to bypass. POST does recognize the
Quantum drive too.

I don't know what the problem is with the setup not getting to the 'End User
Licence Agreement" - hardware problem or problem with the CD. I've tried
isolating the SATA drive by disabling it, checking the memory, re-burning the
ISO, etc. - nothing worked. A friend of mine suggested taking out whatever
add-in cards I had in there - I only had a video card, but the video card is
neccesary because my board doesn't have on-board video - otherwise, where am
I going to hook up the monitor?

At any rate, this problem has gone far enough. I've giving up and installed
Vista 32-bit, and everything seems fine now. Thanks to everyone here for
their help.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> With the SATA disconnected as you have said, do you see your Quantum drive
> in POST?
> Could you be a little more specific as to what is going on in your second
> paragraph.
> The system should go thru POST, followed by the message about hitting any
> key to boot from the CD.
> After hitting the key, Windows will commence loading files (drivers and the
> recovery console among others) followed by the option to go into recovery
> console or to install. There are no scheduled reboots during this time.
> Also, early in the load, on the bottom of the screen there is a message to
> hit F6 to add drivers. Do you see this message (I realise you don't need
> drivers)
> Are you using PS2 keyboard and mouse, or USB.

R. C. White

Hi, Jay.

I was hoping someone would jump in, but...

> The floppies I have do not have any kind of boot information on them that
> the system will recognize, so exactly how do I install them before the OS?

Correct. This floppy (not plural - just one - but it may have multiple
drivers on it for multiple models of hard drives) is NOT used to boot the
computer. You put in the WinXP CD, with your BIOS set to boot from CD, and
let Setup begin. Very early in the Setup process, while it is detecting
your computer's configuration, you should see a message to "Press F6 if you
need to install drivers for a mass storage device" (or similar language; it
has been a while since I had to do this). Press F6 quickly; the message
will disappear in a few seconds and you'll have to reboot to get another
chance. Setup will continue for a long time as though nothing happened,
telling you how to use the floppy to install the drivers. Then it will
continue, and will soon reboot. This time, it will boot from the hard
drive, not from the CD.

Here is where a foul-up can occur if you have more than one hard drive.
Setup wants to write the startup files to create the System Partition on the
HD identified in the BIOS as the current boot device. If you have a newer
BIOS, you can designate Disk 2 (for example) as the boot device, but then
use the Esc key (that's the one MY BIOS uses; yours may be different) to
boot from CD just this once, to run Setup. Then, after Setup finishes this
first phase, including writing the startup files AND the special drivers to
the boot device (Disk 2), it will then reboot from that same boot device
(Disk 2) and everything is fine. But if you are not able to manage your
boot device in the BIOS, Setup might write the files to Disk 2 and then try
to reboot from Disk 0! If you have an older BIOS, you'll have to use some
other method - perhaps physically pulling cables - to be sure that Setup
writes the files to the disk you've chosen and then reboots from that same
disk.

> (Silicon Image Sil 3114 SATA Raid)

That's the same one I was using with WinXP and Vista on my earlier system
(EPoX 8KDA3+/AMD Athlon x64 3200+) and it worked well, once I got those
drivers incorporated by using F6 during Setup.

> 3rd IDE Device: Western Digital 120 GB SATA drive (120 GB)

Your SATA drive is an IDE device? Maybe. Depends on how your BIOS
identifies everything. MY BIOS does not show the SATA drives under IDE on
the initial screen, since they are plugged into my SATA connectors, not the
IDE connectors. That screen shows my 2 DVD drives under IDE, then the 2
standalone SATA drives. (The 3rd and 4th SATA drives are covered by the
next screen, from the RAID controller.) There's a lot of variety here in
how motherboards, chipsets and BIOSes show these details, and I have only
this one to look at, so I'm not sure what your configuration would show.

Another point that confuses me is that various parts of my computer identify
the drives differently. My BIOS says my first boot device is the 200 GB
Maxtor on SATA "Ch.4"; the second is the 120 GB Maxtor on SATA "Ch.2"; the
third is the Raid Array (I've forgotten the exact phrase and I don't want to
go through the cycle of saving this draft, rebooting into BIOS setup, then
rebooting into Vista again just to look). But Disk Management says that the
120 is Disk 0, the 200 is Disk 1 and the 300 GB is Disk 2. The System
Partition is the first partition on Disk 1 and the current (Vista) boot
volume is the second volume (the first logical drive in the extended
partition) on Disk 1 - just as I planned. The first partitions on Disk 0
and Disk 2 are also Active primary partitions and I've installed Vista at
least once with each of those temporarily as the boot device, so I can boot
from either of them by changing the BIOS setting - or by using Esc during
POST.

Some of all this I understand, Jay. Much of it I just half-understand and
manage to get it working by trial and error. ;^}

RC