Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > wide screen monitor

wide screen monitor

eugene

I have a new wide screen monitor and images now appear somewhat "stretched".
Is there a way of viewing them as they really are?

David J Taylor

eugene wrote:
> I have a new wide screen monitor and images now appear somewhat
> "stretched". Is there a way of viewing them as they really are?

Eugene,

There was a long discussion about this recently on
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems. Check it out. What monitor brand and
model do you have?

You need to set Windows resolution to the same values as your monitor's
native resolution (e.g. 1400 x 875, 1920 x 1200 - check in your monitor's
manual), and all should be well. You may now need to set Windows to Large
Fonts to get a comfortable text size.

Cheers,
David

Jim Townsend

eugene wrote:

> I have a new wide screen monitor and images now appear somewhat "stretched".
> Is there a way of viewing them as they really are?

You have to adjust your video card to provide the correct aspect ratio.

A common setting for wide screens is 1680 x 1050 pixels

ray

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:12:41 +0100, eugene wrote:

> I have a new wide screen monitor and images now appear somewhat "stretched".
> Is there a way of viewing them as they really are?

If you have it set up so your operating system is using the native
resolution (I assume it is an LCD monitor, though you don't specify) then
things should have the correct aspect ratio.