Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Media Player

Media Player

itemyar

Anyone here use this kind of a device? What I want to do is listen to MP3's
on my stereo that are stored on one of my PC's! Linksys makes one "WMA11b"
and so does D-Link "DSM-320", the Linksys has some rather negative reviews
and the D-Link is a little spendy. Any opinions, or suggestions about these
kinds of devices?

Thanks all!

Ray

"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

socalsek

Don't waste your money on the DSM-320. Worked fine until the most
recent firmware upgrade. Now most of the videos I have (because they
were transcoded to SVCD) play in the wrong proportion. It constantly
hangs mid video. The fast forward and reverse work sometimes (hit and
miss).

Even though they have placed a message touting the use of Nero ReEncode
it won't recognize the files.

Piece of crap. Wish I'd looked around a little more.

itemyar wrote:
> Anyone here use this kind of a device? What I want to do is listen to MP3's
> on my stereo that are stored on one of my PC's! Linksys makes one "WMA11b"
> and so does D-Link "DSM-320", the Linksys has some rather negative reviews
> and the D-Link is a little spendy. Any opinions, or suggestions about these
> kinds of devices?
>
> Thanks all!
>
> Ray

> "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

itemyar

Thanks for your input! So, if you were to do it again, is there any
particular model you've seen that might be better?

__spc__

"itemyar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your input! So, if you were to do it again, is there any
> particular model you've seen that might be better?

Pinnacle Show Centre- get 'em cheap on eBay. Beware, the WiFi is a little
flakey on the SC1000g, but I think the SC200 is much better.

Sla#s

"itemyar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone here use this kind of a device? What I want to do is listen to
> MP3's on my stereo that are stored on one of my PC's! Linksys makes one
> "WMA11b" and so does D-Link "DSM-320", the Linksys has some rather
> negative reviews and the D-Link is a little spendy. Any opinions, or
> suggestions about these kinds of devices?

I have a Netgear MP101.
The reason I bought that one was it was the cheapest! You see all the
reviews seem to indicate that these devices are not quite there yet And
after having used the MP101 for a while I agree.

On the plus side, yes one can listen to your MP3s through your HiFi and the
"Shuffle play" feature they all have is wonderful but...

On the negative:
Netgears music server on the main PC is not at all easy to use. I use the
Twonkyvision one. But to get the playlists out of iTunes is a pain! - But
better than having to do the whole thing twice in Netgears!
Finding individual tracks is time consuming.
It takes ages to switch on, find a network, find a server on the network -
sometimes two (the same) are found and you have to chose which and then it
has to reboot all over again.
Oh and sometimes it either can't find and network or a server or just drops
out.
So my advice is - If you want to play your music from your PC right now buy
the cheapest.
Or if you have an iPod, get a dock and plug that in.
On the other hand I reckon they will have sorted this technology out in a
year or so, wireless networks will all be a lot faster 'post-n' (well lets
hope they make their minds about the 'n' standard shortly!) which would mean
video as well as audio. That would mean one could put all one's
entertainment media on the main server and watch what you want, when you
want.

Slatts