Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > PC running very slowly.

PC running very slowly.

Lord Turkey Cough

I have a Cryix MII 300 processor and I have found my PC rather
sluggish of late, especially on mulitmedia applications.
Would it be worth increasing my 128meg (256 is max possible) of ram or do I
have some sort of
virus/spyware issue?

. . . . Timothy . . . ,. .

"Lord Turkey Cough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sKBRi.16553$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Cryix MII 300 processor and I have found my PC rather
> sluggish of late, especially on mulitmedia applications.
> Would it be worth increasing my 128meg (256 is max possible) of ram or do
> I have some sort of
> virus/spyware issue?

Asuming you're running Windows, go to Task Manager (right-click on the blue
bar at the bottom of the screen, then select Task Manager).
In Tak Manager, click the 'Performance' Tab.
Two little bar meters appear, one giving 'cpu usage', the other giving 'pf
usage' (page file usage).
If the page file usage is near max, then the chances are that adding more
memory will help, since it is likely your computer is using its hard drive
as virtual memory, which is a very slow and inefficient way of doing things.
I added more RAM memory to my lap-top recently, and it really transformed
it!

Tim.

Alex Clayton

"Lord Turkey Cough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sKBRi.16553$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Cryix MII 300 processor and I have found my PC rather
> sluggish of late, especially on mulitmedia applications.
> Would it be worth increasing my 128meg (256 is max possible) of ram or do
> I have some sort of
> virus/spyware issue?

What OE? Windows? If so which one? Do you have anti spyware? Anti virus?
--
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer.
Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does

e.w.

On Oct 18, 12:59 am, "Lord Turkey Cough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a Cryix MII 300 processor and I have found my PC rather
> sluggish of late, especially on mulitmedia applications.
> Would it be worth increasing my 128meg (256 is max possible) of ram or do I
> have some sort of
> virus/spyware issue?

You may also want to run Disk Defragmenter. If you use Windows 3.x,
exit Program Manager to DOS and type DEFRAG and press Enter. If it's
Win 9x or newer, open My Computer, right-click on the C:\ drive and
select Properties. A window will pop up. Click on the tab labelled
Tools, then the button for Disk Defragmenter.

Over time, data on the hard disk drive becomes scattered, or
fragmented, sort of like a desk becoming cluttered. The Disk
Defragmenter utility reorganizes the data such that it is more compact
and can be accessed faster.

I showed this to a friend of mine and it made his machine noticably
faster. However, be warned that if you have never ran it before it
can take hours to complete.

Hope this helps.