Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Have an old HP S20 Slide scanner. Know where a driver for use with XP can be found?

Have an old HP S20 Slide scanner. Know where a driver for use with XP can be found?

Mort

I seldom use this and keep a Windows 98 machine just for the few times
that I do. I found an article on line that referred to an XP driver
but the link was in-operable.

Anyone with suggestions?

Mort

Frank ess

Mort wrote:
> I seldom use this and keep a Windows 98 machine just for the few
> times that I do. I found an article on line that referred to an XP
> driver but the link was in-operable.
>
> Anyone with suggestions?

My memory of that circumstance - it's been a while - is there never
was a driver explicitly for XP, but the 2000 driver worked fine. Might
find an operable link to such a one.

--
Frank ess

Paul Bartram

"Mort" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>I seldom use this and keep a Windows 98 machine just for the few times
> that I do. I found an article on line that referred to an XP driver
> but the link was in-operable.
> Anyone with suggestions?

I had the same problem with a Nikon LS1000 slide scanner - the dedicated
Nikon software simply won't work with XP and I kept a 98SE partition on my
computer just for that device.

However, I found that Hamrick's VueScan works with it better than the
'proper' application did. I just had a look at the help file, and it sounds
like it will work with any scanner *other than parallel-port types*. My
Nikon is SCSI...

Paul

Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> Mort wrote:
> > I seldom use this and keep a Windows 98 machine just for the few
> > times that I do. I found an article on line that referred to an XP
> > driver but the link was in-operable.
> >
> > Anyone with suggestions?
> >

> My memory of that circumstance - it's been a while - is there never
> was a driver explicitly for XP, but the 2000 driver worked fine. Might
> find an operable link to such a one.

I'm providing the steps used to get to this driver link in case the website
should change in the future:

1. Open http://www.hp.com
2. Click Software & Driver downloads
3. Click the "Download drivers and software (and firmware)" option button
4. In the "for product" text field, enter S20
5. Click the link for the HP Photosmart S20 Photo Scanner
6. Click the link for Microsoft Windows XP

This appears to the the link for the Windows XP drivers for the S20
scanner...

Software & Driver downloads
HP Photosmart s20 Photo Scanner
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...=59968&lang=en

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com

On Oct 18, 4:23 am, Mort <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I seldom use this and keep a Windows 98 machine just for the few times
> that I do. I found an article on line that referred to an XP driver
> but the link was in-operable.
>
> Anyone with suggestions?
>
> Mort

Well, you could try looking on the hp site... (I know, radical
suggestion!)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...=59968&lang=en

Problem is, it's a 70Mb download, and I can see lots of web-reports
saying that it doesn't work well, if at all...

Suggest you also look here:
http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007cW9

And if all else fails, perhaps you could email Norman Koren (look him
up) - you never know...

Mine works fine on XP but apparently the scan window is a bit dirty and it
won't do prints.
Bob

Mort

On Oct 18, 2:20 am, "Daniel W. Rouse Jr."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>

> > Mort wrote:
> > > I seldom use this and keep a Windows 98 machine just for the few
> > > times that I do. I found an article on line that referred to an XP
> > > driver but the link was in-operable.

> > > Anyone with suggestions?

> > My memory of that circumstance - it's been a while - is there never
> > was a driver explicitly for XP, but the 2000 driver worked fine. Might
> > find an operable link to such a one.

> I'm providing the steps used to get to this driver link in case the website
> should change in the future:
>
> 1. Openhttp://www.hp.com
> 2. Click Software & Driver downloads
> 3. Click the "Download drivers and software (and firmware)" option button
> 4. In the "for product" text field, enter S20
> 5. Click the link for the HP Photosmart S20 Photo Scanner
> 6. Click the link for Microsoft Windows XP
>
> This appears to the the link for the Windows XP drivers for the S20
> scanner...
>
> Software & Driver downloads
> HP Photosmart s20 Photo Scannerhttp://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dl...

Thanks for the very exact detailed instructions. It worked perfectly
and I'm up and running on my XP unit.

Thanks again.

Charlie

Frank ess

WTG D Dubya.

--
Frank ess

Mort wrote:
> On Oct 18, 2:20 am, "Daniel W. Rouse Jr."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> My memory of that circumstance - it's been a while - is there
>>> never was a driver explicitly for XP, but the 2000 driver worked
>>> fine. Might find an operable link to such a one.

>> I'm providing the steps used to get to this driver link in case
>> the website
>> should change in the future:
>>
>> 1. Openhttp://www.hp.com
>> 2. Click Software & Driver downloads
>> 3. Click the "Download drivers and software (and firmware)" option
>> button
>> 4. In the "for product" text field, enter S20
>> 5. Click the link for the HP Photosmart S20 Photo Scanner
>> 6. Click the link for Microsoft Windows XP
>>
>> This appears to the the link for the Windows XP drivers for the S20
>> scanner...
>>
>> Software & Driver downloads
>> HP Photosmart s20 Photo
>> Scannerhttp://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dl...

> Thanks for the very exact detailed instructions. It worked perfectly
> and I'm up and running on my XP unit.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Charlie

Frank ess

> On Oct 18, 4:23 am, Mort <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I seldom use this and keep a Windows 98 machine just for the few
>> times that I do. I found an article on line that referred to an XP
>> driver but the link was in-operable.
>>
>> Anyone with suggestions?
>>
>> Mort

> Well, you could try looking on the hp site... (I know, radical
> suggestion!)
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...=59968&lang=en
>
> Problem is, it's a 70Mb download, and I can see lots of web-reports
> saying that it doesn't work well, if at all...
>
> Suggest you also look here:
> http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007cW9
>
> And if all else fails, perhaps you could email Norman Koren (look
> him up) - you never know...

Y'know, mark.thomas.7, your continuing affair with Douggie is
beginning to have a deleterious effect on your own behavior and voice.
Beware: it's known that we tend to perform at the level of our
competition, be they better, or worse, than our selves.

--
Frank ess

Mort

On Oct 18, 4:03 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Oct 18, 4:23 am, Mort <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I seldom use this and keep a Windows 98 machine just for the few times
> > that I do. I found an article on line that referred to an XP driver
> > but the link was in-operable.

> > Anyone with suggestions?

> > Mort

> Well, you could try looking on the hp site... (I know, radical
> suggestion!)
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...lc=en&cc=au&dl...
>
> Problem is, it's a 70Mb download, and I can see lots of web-reports
> saying that it doesn't work well, if at all...
>
> Suggest you also look here:http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007cW9
>
> And if all else fails, perhaps you could email Norman Koren (look him
> up) - you never know...

I had already looked over the hp site and couldn't find that download.
I'm not the greatest computer geek, but I try. I appreciate people
that are a genuine help.

Charlie