Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Using Dial up and wireless connections???

Using Dial up and wireless connections???

=?Utf-8?B?c24wd2wwdmVy?=

I just bought a new Toshiba laptop. I have been away from my home since I got
this thing, and where I am staying I can only get dial up service; but
whenever I get a chance I go to the local hot spots here for wireless
service. The network adapter for wireless is: Atheros AR5005G. As for dial up
I am just trying the different free CD's you get any where. Currently I am
using AOL. There is also some sort of ConfigFree software on here too
(something to do with wireless),I have no clue what to do with that stuff! My
problem is when I go wireless and I open a window it will bring up dial up
connect page, and show my page as working off-line.After a couple attempts at
hitting cancel and clicking on the work off-line link it will let me stay on
wirelessly. I am sure the problem is prolly in the settings; but I can't
figure it out. I would really like to see what my new computer is capable of
but I think this connection thing is holding me back!
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry so wordy!

Dave Cox

I have a Toshiba too, I had terrible problems until I uninstalled Norton
Internet Security. If its new, its bundeled with it.

Try turning it off......

"sn0wl0ver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just bought a new Toshiba laptop. I have been away from my home since I
>got
> this thing, and where I am staying I can only get dial up service; but
> whenever I get a chance I go to the local hot spots here for wireless
> service. The network adapter for wireless is: Atheros AR5005G. As for dial
> up
> I am just trying the different free CD's you get any where. Currently I am
> using AOL. There is also some sort of ConfigFree software on here too
> (something to do with wireless),I have no clue what to do with that stuff!
> My
> problem is when I go wireless and I open a window it will bring up dial
> up
> connect page, and show my page as working off-line.After a couple attempts
> at
> hitting cancel and clicking on the work off-line link it will let me stay
> on
> wirelessly. I am sure the problem is prolly in the settings; but I can't
> figure it out. I would really like to see what my new computer is capable
> of
> but I think this connection thing is holding me back!
> Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry so wordy!

=?Utf-8?B?c24wd2wwdmVy?=

Nope mine came with a month of McAffe. Thanks for replying though, I was
begining to think I did something wrong and my ??? didn't post!

"Dave Cox" wrote:

> I have a Toshiba too, I had terrible problems until I uninstalled Norton
> Internet Security. If its new, its bundeled with it.
>
> Try turning it off......
>
> "sn0wl0ver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I just bought a new Toshiba laptop. I have been away from my home since I
> >got
> > this thing, and where I am staying I can only get dial up service; but
> > whenever I get a chance I go to the local hot spots here for wireless
> > service. The network adapter for wireless is: Atheros AR5005G. As for dial
> > up
> > I am just trying the different free CD's you get any where. Currently I am
> > using AOL. There is also some sort of ConfigFree software on here too
> > (something to do with wireless),I have no clue what to do with that stuff!
> > My
> > problem is when I go wireless and I open a window it will bring up dial
> > up
> > connect page, and show my page as working off-line.After a couple attempts
> > at
> > hitting cancel and clicking on the work off-line link it will let me stay
> > on
> > wirelessly. I am sure the problem is prolly in the settings; but I can't
> > figure it out. I would really like to see what my new computer is capable
> > of
> > but I think this connection thing is holding me back!
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry so wordy!

Dave Cox

Its still worth disableing McAffe to see if its this.

Mines a netgear and the first problem I had was not knowing there was a
button on it to detect wireless!

I take it, its just one laptop connecting to the Internet? Does your Laptop
need a Network password to log on? Could be that?

Good luck anyway.

"sn0wl0ver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nope mine came with a month of McAffe. Thanks for replying though, I was
> begining to think I did something wrong and my ??? didn't post!
>
> "Dave Cox" wrote:
>
>> I have a Toshiba too, I had terrible problems until I uninstalled Norton
>> Internet Security. If its new, its bundeled with it.
>>
>> Try turning it off......
>>
>> "sn0wl0ver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I just bought a new Toshiba laptop. I have been away from my home since
>> >got
>> > this thing, and where I am staying I can only get dial up service; but
>> > whenever I get a chance I go to the local hot spots here for wireless
>> > service. The network adapter for wireless is: Atheros AR5005G. As for
>> > dial
>> > up
>> > I am just trying the different free CD's you get any where. Currently I
>> > am
>> > using AOL. There is also some sort of ConfigFree software on here too
>> > (something to do with wireless),I have no clue what to do with that
>> > stuff!
>> > My
>> > problem is when I go wireless and I open a window it will bring up
>> > dial
>> > up
>> > connect page, and show my page as working off-line.After a couple
>> > attempts
>> > at
>> > hitting cancel and clicking on the work off-line link it will let me
>> > stay
>> > on
>> > wirelessly. I am sure the problem is prolly in the settings; but I
>> > can't
>> > figure it out. I would really like to see what my new computer is
>> > capable
>> > of
>> > but I think this connection thing is holding me back!
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry so wordy!

=?Utf-8?B?c24wd2wwdmVy?=

I'll try it. It's not really a matter of it not trying to connect so much as
it is that too many networks are trying to connect. I can always connect
wirelessly but then when I try to open a page the dialup network tries to
connect also. And it is very persistent!!! LOL!

"Dave Cox" wrote:

> Its still worth disableing McAffe to see if its this.
>
> Mines a netgear and the first problem I had was not knowing there was a
> button on it to detect wireless!
>
> I take it, its just one laptop connecting to the Internet? Does your Laptop
> need a Network password to log on? Could be that?
>
> Good luck anyway.
>

> "sn0wl0ver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Nope mine came with a month of McAffe. Thanks for replying though, I was
> > begining to think I did something wrong and my ??? didn't post!
> >
> > "Dave Cox" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a Toshiba too, I had terrible problems until I uninstalled Norton
> >> Internet Security. If its new, its bundeled with it.
> >>
> >> Try turning it off......
> >>
> >> "sn0wl0ver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Lem

sn0wl0ver wrote:

> I'll try it. It's not really a matter of it not trying to connect so much as
> it is that too many networks are trying to connect. I can always connect
> wirelessly but then when I try to open a page the dialup network tries to
> connect also. And it is very persistent!!! LOL!
>
> "Dave Cox" wrote:
>
> > Its still worth disableing McAffe to see if its this.
> >
> > Mines a netgear and the first problem I had was not knowing there was a
> > button on it to detect wireless!
> >
> > I take it, its just one laptop connecting to the Internet? Does your Laptop
> > need a Network password to log on? Could be that?
> >
> > Good luck anyway.
> >

> > "sn0wl0ver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Nope mine came with a month of McAffe. Thanks for replying though, I was
> > > begining to think I did something wrong and my ??? didn't post!

In Internet Explorer, go to Tool > Internet Options > Connections
Click the radio button for "Dial whenever a network connection is not present"
This may still cause a dial attempt if you open IE before you've had a chance to
connect with a wireless network. If that happens too often, click the button for
"Never dial a connection" -- which you will have to uncheck when you really want
to dial up.