Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > MegaPixel rating of 'old fashioned' film

MegaPixel rating of 'old fashioned' film

David J Taylor

Peter Irwin wrote:
[]
> Yes, DSLRs are very impressive. I will probably get one someday.
> I'm kind of scared that if I get one, I might use it exclusively
> and ignore my darkroom, and I don't really want to do that.
>
> Peter.

Might be better for your health, if not for your bank balance! <G>

David

David J Taylor

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "Summer Wind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Peter Irwin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> David J. Littleboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>

>>> It's true of Tri-x and its competitors. But since I kind of like
>>> tri-X grain from a 6x6 negative enlarged to 8x10, I wouldn't
>>> call it crap. It is a nice texture.

>> Yes! Photographers with a grain phobia don't seem to realize that
>> grain can be pleasing, particularly Tri-X grain. Paradoxically, the
>> grain can enhance the perception of sharpness because the viewer
>> uses the grain as a focusing aid of sorts, but looks past it at the
>> same time.

> No! Grain applies the same bogus texture everywhere.The real world is
> full of interesting and subtle textures, and grain prevents
> photographs from rendering those.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

Grain (and noise) is currently out of fashion. It will come back.

David

Scott W

David J Taylor wrote:
> David J. Littleboy wrote:
>>> Yes! Photographers with a grain phobia don't seem to realize that
>>> grain can be pleasing, particularly Tri-X grain. Paradoxically, the
>>> grain can enhance the perception of sharpness because the viewer
>>> uses the grain as a focusing aid of sorts, but looks past it at the
>>> same time.

>> No! Grain applies the same bogus texture everywhere.The real world is
>> full of interesting and subtle textures, and grain prevents
>> photographs from rendering those.
>>
>> David J. Littleboy
>> Tokyo, Japan

> Grain (and noise) is currently out of fashion. It will come back.

Bell bottom pants are out of fashion, might come back, does not mean we
need to look forward to it.

Scott

Doug McDonald

Scott W wrote:

> Of course you were not really shooting with ISO 800 film if you were
> metering at 250, you were shooting 250 film. I would say that if you
> need to shoot at 250 to get a good image then really what you were using
> was ISO 250 film, that could be pushed to 800 in a pinch.

Color negative film is rated by ISO so that even under optimum
conditions it is 1/2 stop underexposed. But the original poster here
was using tungsten light, so he had to expose even more to get enough
exposure for the blue channel. He would have had to
expose more by the same ratio even if he used 100 speed film.

Doug McDonald

tomm42

On Oct 18, 3:51 pm, "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Summer Wind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:eUMRi.6816$(E-Mail Removed) t...
>
> > "tomm42" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >> On Oct 17, 8:53 am, "Summer Wind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Used a 6mp Kodak DCS760 to do a team picture of a AAA major league
> >> baseball farm club in 2002. Weren't expecting much but it beat out the
> >> Mamiya 645, you could recognize all the faces on the digital but not
> >> on the 645 film shot. Was published as their official team picture.

> > Interesting, given that there's at least 30-MP of information in a 645
> > frame.

> There might be if they made Gigabit film in 120. But they don't. With the
> slide films people actually use, there's about 12.7MP. (I've shot and
> scanned a lot of Provia and Velvia in 645, and this page reflects my
> experience quite nicely, although I think he's nuts to try to print that big
> from these formats.)
>
> http://www.shortwork.net/equip/review-1Ds-SQ-scantech/
>
> > The only way a 6-MP image could beat it is if the film exposure,
> > processing, scanning, or printing were screwed-up by human or machine
> > error/limitiations.

> My experience is that it doesn't take much of a screw up to not get MF
> quality from MF.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

Regarding the Mamiya vs digital. Film was developed by a pro lab and
drum scanned at the printer, from the Mamiya, a pro who did a lot of
portrait and product work, had been using a DCS460 for several years
and had just replaced it with the DCS760, his assistant (former Marine
photographer) was shooting the digital. Was remarkable in the
difference in detail, as I said the Mamiya was a beater, he had been
spending all is $ converting to digital. I also never liked Mamiya
optics until they had the rangefinder 6 and 7, seem to be a change in
their optics philosophy. Not all medium format cameras are created
equal.

Tom