Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > How can i read the stack frames of running process?

Reply
Thread Tools

How can i read the stack frames of running process?

 
 
CBFalconer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2007
Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> CBFalconer <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

.... snip ...
>
>> The blanks between '_' chars are an effect of the font used. The
>> other anomaly is due to the use of some peculiar character to
>> represent the sequence 'fi'. So there are no incorrect spelling
>> identified, but one more of the penalties of .PDF publication is
>> exposed.

>
> I disagree. From what I can see the "_ _" problem *is* a case of
> incorrect spelling (but a well-intentioned one). It seems to have
> been put in deliberately to make the double underscore obvious.
> The "fi" ligature is simply correct and good quality PDF readers
> will cut and paste it as "fi" (two characters) and match it in a
> search for "f" followed by "i". In other words, it works just
> fine.
>
> I don't think either says anything about the penalty of PDF
> publication. In fact for interactive (i.e. non scripted) searches
> I like the PDF better, now. I can search for text, jump to
> specific pages or go right to a given section just by typing any
> part of the section number or name.


We'll just have to agree to disagree. My main point was that with
text you have no problem selecting the search software to suit your
tastes and needs.

--
Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.
<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark McIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2007
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 06:14:22 GMT, in comp.lang.c ,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bos) wrote:

>Or you could - perhaps? revolutionary idea, I know - check the index.


Typically, an index doesn't index every single word!

A - see pages 2-1200 inclusive.
But - see pages 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,11,12,14,16,....
for - see pages 2-1200 except 1104 and 896

--
Mark McIntyre

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are,
by definition, not smart enough to debug it."
--Brian Kernighan
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard Bos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-26-2007
Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 06:14:22 GMT, in comp.lang.c ,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bos) wrote:
>
> >Or you could - perhaps? revolutionary idea, I know - check the index.

>
> Typically, an index doesn't index every single word!
>
> A - see pages 2-1200 inclusive.
> But - see pages 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,11,12,14,16,....
> for - see pages 2-1200 except 1104 and 896


Typically, one doesn't search for indefinite articles or coordinating
conjunctions. One searches for important nouns - precisely the ones that
are found in a good index. In this case, __func__ is in the index, while
__FUNCTION__ is not; one look at this index at the start of this whole
useless argument about PDF versus text versus underscores versus
identifiers would have settled the matter.

Richard
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark McIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2007
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 06:26:20 GMT, in comp.lang.c ,
(E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bos) wrote:

>In this case, __func__ is in the index, while
>__FUNCTION__ is not; one look at this index at the start of this whole
>useless argument about PDF versus text versus underscores versus
>identifiers would have settled the matter.


I agree, but I think the point being made is that indices do not index
everything, and can thus only tell what _is_ in the book.
--
Mark McIntyre

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are,
by definition, not smart enough to debug it."
--Brian Kernighan
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard Bos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2007
Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bos) wrote:
>
> >In this case, __func__ is in the index, while
> >__FUNCTION__ is not; one look at this index at the start of this whole
> >useless argument about PDF versus text versus underscores versus
> >identifiers would have settled the matter.

>
> I agree, but I think the point being made is that indices do not index
> everything, and can thus only tell what _is_ in the book.


A good index, which I think one should assume the Standard does have,
indexes everything important. Thus, if something is not in the
Standard's index, either it isn't in the Standard, or it's only
mentioned in passing. Since __func__ is in it but __FUNCTION__ is not...
draw your own conclusion.

Richard
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark McIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2007
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:26:40 GMT, in comp.lang.c ,
(E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bos) wrote:

>Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bos) wrote:
>>
>> >In this case, __func__ is in the index, while
>> >__FUNCTION__ is not; one look at this index at the start of this whole
>> >useless argument about PDF versus text versus underscores versus
>> >identifiers would have settled the matter.

>>
>> I agree, but I think the point being made is that indices do not index
>> everything, and can thus only tell what _is_ in the book.

>
>A good index,

....
>indexes everything important.

....
>Since __func__ is in it but __FUNCTION__ is not...
>draw your own conclusion.


I agree, but its not a proof and cannot settle the matter.
--
Mark McIntyre

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are,
by definition, not smart enough to debug it."
--Brian Kernighan
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
How can I hide my stack frames in a TestCase subclass? David Banks Python 5 10-05-2012 09:26 AM
Why does std::stack::pop() not throw an exception if the stack is empty? Debajit Adhikary C++ 36 02-10-2011 08:54 PM
C/C++ compilers have one stack for local variables and return addresses and then another stack for array allocations on the stack. Casey Hawthorne C Programming 3 11-01-2009 08:23 PM
stack frame size on linux/solaris of a running application stack Surinder Singh C Programming 1 12-20-2007 01:16 PM



Advertisments