Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon G9 vs SX100

Canon G9 vs SX100

H.S.

Hello,

Do the Canon G9 and SX100 have any notable technical differences in
their sensors, photo contrast, optical distortion, dynamic range, etc. I
wonder if their side by side photos comparing the results.

I realize they are quite different models. I am just wondering if the
G9's sensor is significantly different than the other's (except the
resolution of course).

->HS

aniramca@gmail.com

On Oct 16, 2:51 pm, "H.S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Do the Canon G9 and SX100 have any notable technical differences in
> their sensors, photo contrast, optical distortion, dynamic range, etc. I
> wonder if their side by side photos comparing the results.
>
> I realize they are quite different models. I am just wondering if the
> G9's sensor is significantly different than the other's (except the
> resolution of course).
>
> ->HS

G9 has 1/1.7" sensor (9.5x7.6 mm). SX100 has smaller 1/2.5" sensor
(7.2x5.8mm). In area, the sensor in G(9 is roughly 1.7 times larger
than the SX100. The 1/2.5" size appears to be the general size of
sensor in most compact P&S cameras.

H.S.

> On Oct 16, 2:51 pm, "H.S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Do the Canon G9 and SX100 have any notable technical differences in
>> their sensors, photo contrast, optical distortion, dynamic range, etc. I
>> wonder if their side by side photos comparing the results.
>>
>> I realize they are quite different models. I am just wondering if the
>> G9's sensor is significantly different than the other's (except the
>> resolution of course).
>>
>> ->HS

> G9 has 1/1.7" sensor (9.5x7.6 mm). SX100 has smaller 1/2.5" sensor

hmm .. so that would result in lower noise level in G9 I presume. Also,
I wonder what does sensor size do to the contrast and dynamic range of
the captured image -- or do they depend on the quality of a sensor?

->HS

H.S. wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Oct 16, 2:51 pm, "H.S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Do the Canon G9 and SX100 have any notable technical differences in
>>> their sensors, photo contrast, optical distortion, dynamic range, etc. I
>>> wonder if their side by side photos comparing the results.
>>>
>>> I realize they are quite different models. I am just wondering if the
>>> G9's sensor is significantly different than the other's (except the
>>> resolution of course).
>>>
>>> ->HS

>> G9 has 1/1.7" sensor (9.5x7.6 mm). SX100 has smaller 1/2.5" sensor

> hmm .. so that would result in lower noise level in G9 I presume. Also,
> I wonder what does sensor size do to the contrast and dynamic range of
> the captured image -- or do they depend on the quality of a sensor?
>
> ->HS
>

>> (7.2x5.8mm). In area, the sensor in G(9 is roughly 1.7 times larger
>> than the SX100. The 1/2.5" size appears to be the general size of
>> sensor in most compact P&S cameras.

More info at:

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...el.size.matter

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...rmance.summary

Roger

H.S.

> H.S. wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> G9 has 1/1.7" sensor (9.5x7.6 mm). SX100 has smaller 1/2.5" sensor

>> hmm .. so that would result in lower noise level in G9 I presume. Also,
>> I wonder what does sensor size do to the contrast and dynamic range of
>> the captured image -- or do they depend on the quality of a sensor?
>>
>> ->HS
>>

>>> (7.2x5.8mm). In area, the sensor in G(9 is roughly 1.7 times larger
>>> than the SX100. The 1/2.5" size appears to be the general size of
>>> sensor in most compact P&S cameras.
>>>

> More info at:
>
> http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...el.size.matter
>
> http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...rmance.summary
>
> Roger

Great sites! Thanks a ton for the references, they are a nice read. They
clarified many doubts I had earlier.

regards,
->HS

Sent to rec.photo.digital