Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > VOIP basic question!

VOIP basic question!

news8080@yahoo.com

so I got a question. How do you get multiple phone numbers terminated
on one line? in other words, lets say I have a office of 10 people and
they want to share 5 phone numbers, well does SBC give me 5 different
lines (as in 5 different copper cables? or do they give me like a
trunk like that has all 5 lines on it?) what kind of hardware do I
need to house those lines on an IP PBX?

anyone?

Wolfgang Barth

> so I got a question. How do you get multiple phone numbers terminated
> on one line?

What do you mean with "line"? Yes, it is possible to have several
concurrent calls on ONE internet connection. For optimal quality the
internet connection should have 150 kbit/sec for each concurrent call.

in other words, lets say I have a office of 10 people and
> they want to share 5 phone numbers, well does SBC give me 5 different
> lines (as in 5 different copper cables?

No idea who "SBC" is, but from a VoIP provider you can get 5 incoming
numbers which can be used on one or more internet connections. Normally
you will use ONE connection. Even if you just have 5 INCOMING numbers
you can make as many OUTGOING calls as your internet connection is able
to carry. You just need someone with a gateway, who is routing these
VoIP call into the public network. This should be available at very low
cost of say a cent per minute or so.

And you not need BUYing incoming numbers. You can get them without any
cost from IPKALL.com. The rest is just configuration.

or do they give me like a
> trunk like that has all 5 lines on it?) what kind of hardware do I
> need to house those lines on an IP PBX?

Best choice for internal VoIP PBX is Asterix running on Linux. You will
only need a minimal hardware to run it.

Then it is quite simple and you just need VoIP phones at your LAN to
finish the calls. Maybe Headsets or Handsets with USB connections at the
PC's in your LAN will suffice if these are running all the time.

Wolfgang

Don Harvey

Thankfully, I just found this newsgroup and struggling to find a solution
for my phones. I am planning on downsizing my small business the first of
the year and move it back to my home. The current system I have at my
office was purchased in 1992 and state of the art at that time. Needless to
say it is pretty much a door stop by today's standard.

I need 3 lines and decided to give Voip a call mainly because of cost and
also wiring home. I do not intend to move the old office system here. The
hosted IP PBX providers look promising but I am running into trying to find
the right phones. My wife's office is on the 2nd floor of the house, mine
is in the basement. Both are wired with Cat5 cabling, computers are
networked with linksys, and Roadrunner is used.

I can buy say a linksys 4 line voip phone. That takes care of the office
upstairs. But where do I find another desk (base) phone for downstairs. I
see also that one can buy other phones that come with additional wireless
handsets which would work, but it is difficult to work on a handset all day.

Any ideas or advice really appreciated. At this point I don't know the best
way to proceed.

Don Harvey

"Wolfgang Barth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ff3206$bn8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) schrieb:
>> so I got a question. How do you get multiple phone numbers terminated
>> on one line?

> What do you mean with "line"? Yes, it is possible to have several
> concurrent calls on ONE internet connection. For optimal quality the
> internet connection should have 150 kbit/sec for each concurrent call.
>
> in other words, lets say I have a office of 10 people and
>> they want to share 5 phone numbers, well does SBC give me 5 different
>> lines (as in 5 different copper cables?

> No idea who "SBC" is, but from a VoIP provider you can get 5 incoming
> numbers which can be used on one or more internet connections. Normally
> you will use ONE connection. Even if you just have 5 INCOMING numbers you
> can make as many OUTGOING calls as your internet connection is able to
> carry. You just need someone with a gateway, who is routing these VoIP
> call into the public network. This should be available at very low cost of
> say a cent per minute or so.
>
> And you not need BUYing incoming numbers. You can get them without any
> cost from IPKALL.com. The rest is just configuration.
>
> or do they give me like a
>> trunk like that has all 5 lines on it?) what kind of hardware do I
>> need to house those lines on an IP PBX?

> Best choice for internal VoIP PBX is Asterix running on Linux. You will
> only need a minimal hardware to run it.
>
> Then it is quite simple and you just need VoIP phones at your LAN to
> finish the calls. Maybe Headsets or Handsets with USB connections at the
> PC's in your LAN will suffice if these are running all the time.
>
> Wolfgang

5linx 5linx is offline
Junior Member

Don your solution is even simpler than you think.

If you go to this web site http://www.globalinx.com/?bNew=True&strRIN=L316078 you can sign up for 3 lines and they send you all the equipment you will need. You do not need to go out and buy anything the first DTA will cover two lines and the second DTA you could place in the basement or were you want for the third line using your already existing Cat-5 cordage or in house telephone lines. If you want you can also go to best buy and buy a powerline to Ethernet adapter which works well but is fairly expensive. Email me I will be happy to help (E-Mail Removed)

Voiper

On Oct 27, 5:17 pm, "Don Harvey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thankfully, I just found this newsgroup and struggling to find a solution
> for my phones. I am planning on downsizing my small business the first of
> the year and move it back to my home. The current system I have at my
> office was purchased in 1992 and state of the art at that time. Needless to
> say it is pretty much a door stop by today's standard.
>
> I need 3 lines and decided to give Voip a call mainly because of cost and
> also wiring home. I do not intend to move the old office system here. The
> hosted IP PBX providers look promising but I am running into trying to find
> the right phones. My wife's office is on the 2nd floor of the house, mine
> is in the basement. Both are wired with Cat5 cabling, computers are
> networked with linksys, and Roadrunner is used.
>
> I can buy say a linksys 4 line voip phone. That takes care of the office
> upstairs. But where do I find another desk (base) phone for downstairs. I
> see also that one can buy other phones that come with additional wireless
> handsets which would work, but it is difficult to work on a handset all day.
>
> Any ideas or advice really appreciated. At this point I don't know the best
> way to proceed.
>
> Don Harvey
>
> "Wolfgang Barth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:ff3206$bn8$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > (E-Mail Removed) schrieb:
> >> so I got a question. How do you get multiple phone numbers terminated
> >> on one line?

> > What do you mean with "line"? Yes, it is possible to have several
> > concurrent calls on ONE internet connection. For optimal quality the
> > internet connection should have 150 kbit/sec for each concurrent call.

> > in other words, lets say I have a office of 10 people and
> >> they want to share 5 phone numbers, well does SBC give me 5 different
> >> lines (as in 5 different copper cables?

> > No idea who "SBC" is, but from a VoIP provider you can get 5 incoming
> > numbers which can be used on one or more internet connections. Normally
> > you will use ONE connection. Even if you just have 5 INCOMING numbers you
> > can make as many OUTGOING calls as your internet connection is able to
> > carry. You just need someone with a gateway, who is routing these VoIP
> > call into the public network. This should be available at very low cost of
> > say a cent per minute or so.

> > And you not need BUYing incoming numbers. You can get them without any
> > cost from IPKALL.com. The rest is just configuration.

> > or do they give me like a
> >> trunk like that has all 5 lines on it?) what kind of hardware do I
> >> need to house those lines on an IP PBX?

> > Best choice for internal VoIP PBX is Asterix running on Linux. You will
> > only need a minimal hardware to run it.

> > Then it is quite simple and you just need VoIP phones at your LAN to
> > finish the calls. Maybe Headsets or Handsets with USB connections at the
> > PC's in your LAN will suffice if these are running all the time.

> > Wolfgang- Hide quoted text -

Perhaps you can find some useful iformation on CQ VoIP Call web site:
http://cqvoipcall.googlepages.com
There are links to service providers and hardware providers:
http://cqvoipcall.googlepages.com/hardware

Good luck.

liuzhaoyongxx@gmail.com

On 10 28 , 7 17 , "Don Harvey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I need 3 lines and decided to give Voip a call mainly because of cost and
> also wiring home. I do not intend to move the old office system here. The
> hosted IP PBX providers look promising but I am running into trying to find
> the right phones. My wife's office is on the 2nd floor of the house, mine
> is in the basement. Both are wired with Cat5 cabling, computers are
> networked with linksys, and Roadrunner is used.

> I can buy say a linksys 4 line voip phone. That takes care of the office
> upstairs. But where do I find another desk (base) phone for downstairs. I
> see also that one can buy other phones that come with additional wireless
> handsets which would work, but it is difficult to work on a handset all day.

Hi

Why not intall 2 voip phone in the two place. VOIP account is not like
the PSTN account, you could find some account without month rent fee.

Leon
(E-Mail Removed)

Don Harvey

Thanks Guys,

Leon, you are right, I had to rethink how Voip works and different from
PSTN. I ordered 2 Linksys SPA942 phones and will use 2 lines with IP PBX
from Vocalocity (www.vocalocity.com) . I will eventually need 3 lines but 2
will give me time to test.

Looking forward to getting the phones and a relief that I will not have to
install any further equipment or run any cabling. Time will tell but
hopefully it will work as advertised.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On 10 28 , 7 17 , "Don Harvey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I need 3 lines and decided to give Voip a call mainly because of cost and
>> also wiring home. I do not intend to move the old office system here.
>> The
>> hosted IP PBX providers look promising but I am running into trying to
>> find
>> the right phones. My wife's office is on the 2nd floor of the house,
>> mine
>> is in the basement. Both are wired with Cat5 cabling, computers are
>> networked with linksys, and Roadrunner is used.

>> I can buy say a linksys 4 line voip phone. That takes care of the office
>> upstairs. But where do I find another desk (base) phone for downstairs.
>> see also that one can buy other phones that come with additional wireless
>> handsets which would work, but it is difficult to work on a handset all
>> day.

> Hi
>
> Why not intall 2 voip phone in the two place. VOIP account is not like
> the PSTN account, you could find some account without month rent fee.
>
> Leon
> (E-Mail Removed)

Hongtian

On Oct 17, 2:41 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> so I got a question. How do you get multiple phone numbers terminated
> on one line? in other words, lets say I have a office of 10 people and
> they want to share 5 phone numbers, well does SBC give me 5 different
> lines (as in 5 different copper cables? or do they give me like a
> trunk like that has all 5 lines on it?) what kind of hardware do I
> need to house those lines on an IP PBX?
>
> anyone?

You can install a VOIP-PBX server.

When you install the VOIP-PBX, you can add external lines to connect
to your VOIP carriers network and bind these external line to one
local client/line. The you can get multiple phone numbers terminated
to one line.

In another way, you can configure these external lines to be shared
with local users, then all you 10 people can share these external
lines to make out group call.

I suggest you to try miniSipServer. It is a software based SIP server
for Microsoft windos platform. Maybe it can resolve your problem.

B.R.
Hong