Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Several Access Points - channel settings?

Several Access Points - channel settings?

SteBar

Our School is going wireless, so that the pupils can use wireless
laptops in any classroom and connect to our ADSL router etc

We aim to install several Wireless Access Points around the school,
should they all be set to the same channel e.g. Ch 6 - or should each
Access Point have a different channel?

Sooner Al [MVP]

Use the same SSID system wide but run each access point on a different
channel. Channels 1, 6 and 11 have the least overlap.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

"SteBar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Our School is going wireless, so that the pupils can use wireless laptops
> in any classroom and connect to our ADSL router etc
>
> We aim to install several Wireless Access Points around the school, should
> they all be set to the same channel e.g. Ch 6 - or should each Access
> Point have a different channel?

SteBar

Al - thanks for the prompt reply, but what is the reasoning behind using
different channels on each Access Point?

> Use the same SSID system wide but run each access point on a different
> channel. Channels 1, 6 and 11 have the least overlap.
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>

> "SteBar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Our School is going wireless, so that the pupils can use wireless
>> laptops in any classroom and connect to our ADSL router etc
>>
>> We aim to install several Wireless Access Points around the school,
>> should they all be set to the same channel e.g. Ch 6 - or should each
>> Access Point have a different channel?

Dave

that minimizes rf interferance between the access points where they overlap
coverage. and the clients will search all the frequencies for the access
points anyway.

"SteBar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Al - thanks for the prompt reply, but what is the reasoning behind using
> different channels on each Access Point?
>

>> Use the same SSID system wide but run each access point on a different
>> channel. Channels 1, 6 and 11 have the least overlap.
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>

>> "SteBar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Our School is going wireless, so that the pupils can use wireless
>>> laptops in any classroom and connect to our ADSL router etc
>>>
>>> We aim to install several Wireless Access Points around the school,
>>> should they all be set to the same channel e.g. Ch 6 - or should each
>>> Access Point have a different channel?

SteBar

Dave - thanks for that, but am I right in assuming that if a client
(Laptop PC) is "in between" several Access Points, it will search for
and connect to the Access Point with the strongest signal?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> that minimizes rf interferance between the access points where they
> overlap coverage. and the clients will search all the frequencies for
> the access points anyway.
>
> "SteBar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Al - thanks for the prompt reply, but what is the reasoning behind
>> using different channels on each Access Point?
>>

>>> Use the same SSID system wide but run each access point on a
>>> different channel. Channels 1, 6 and 11 have the least overlap.
>>>
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>

>>> "SteBar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Frankster

> Use the same SSID system wide but run each access point on a different
> channel. Channels 1, 6 and 11 have the least overlap.

Hi Al,

From what I hear, Windows Zero Configuration has mucho trouble when
presented with multiple points with the same SSID. Wouldn't it be better to
use different SSIDS? Just curious.

-Frank