Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Printer sharing over VPN

Printer sharing over VPN

Darrell

I'm trying to share a printer over a Microsoft VPN network on a Windows XP
system (All systems are using Windows XP Pro)...I've successfully setup the
printer on one laptop but I'm having trouble with the second one. The main
desktop PC, the one the printer is connected to, is set to file and printer
sharing. The VPN's properties are set to allow file and printer sharing on
the laptop in question. All firewalls are set to allow file and printer
sharing. On the laptop in question, I go to Control Panel/Printers and
Other Hardware and select "Add a Printer." This starts the Add a printer
wizard and I select Next. The next option I select is a network printer, I
select next and the option to browse for a printer. It browses to the
following, +Microsoft Windows Network which expands to +WorkGroup which
expands to the +Computer's Name. The + sign next to the Computer's Name
will not expand to the name of the networked printer. When I double-click
to expand the Computer Name, the time capsule pops-up briefly and then
disappears. Is there a setting or something that I'm overlooking on the
laptop that's preventing it from allowing the Computer Name to expand and
pointing to the network printer?

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

It could be the name resolution issue. Do you receive a system error if you
do net view \\vpnhostipaddress? Or these links may help.

Name resolution on VPN
Name resolution is big issue in VPN access. If your VPN server doesn't
setup correctly or the VPN client can't receive the VPN DNS and WINS
settings, ...
www.chicagotech.net/nameresolutionpnvpn.htm - Similar pages

VPN name resolution and browsing
Q: VPN name resolution and browsing. After I successfully connect to
the VPN Server remotely, I cannot browse the network, and see other
computers and ...
www.chicagotech.net/Q&A/vpn1.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Darrell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to share a printer over a Microsoft VPN network on a Windows XP
> system (All systems are using Windows XP Pro)...I've successfully setup
> the printer on one laptop but I'm having trouble with the second one. The
> main desktop PC, the one the printer is connected to, is set to file and
> printer sharing. The VPN's properties are set to allow file and printer
> sharing on the laptop in question. All firewalls are set to allow file
> and printer sharing. On the laptop in question, I go to Control
> Panel/Printers and Other Hardware and select "Add a Printer." This starts
> the Add a printer wizard and I select Next. The next option I select is a
> network printer, I select next and the option to browse for a printer. It
> browses to the following, +Microsoft Windows Network which expands to
> +WorkGroup which expands to the +Computer's Name. The + sign next to the
> Computer's Name will not expand to the name of the networked printer.
> When I double-click to expand the Computer Name, the time capsule pops-up
> briefly and then disappears. Is there a setting or something that I'm
> overlooking on the laptop that's preventing it from allowing the Computer
> Name to expand and pointing to the network printer?

Darrell

No system errors are received. The laptop in question can successfully
login to my home VPN server, it just can't see the printer. I'm using
"OpenDNS Servers." If I change the Home desktop PC to obtain a DNS server
address automatically would that make a difference? I don't see how it
would being that the other laptop can see the printer just fine.

"Robert L (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It could be the name resolution issue. Do you receive a system error if
> you do net view \\vpnhostipaddress? Or these links may help.
>
> Name resolution on VPN
> Name resolution is big issue in VPN access. If your VPN server
> doesn't setup correctly or the VPN client can't receive the VPN DNS and
> WINS settings, ...
> www.chicagotech.net/nameresolutionpnvpn.htm - Similar pages
>
> VPN name resolution and browsing
> Q: VPN name resolution and browsing. After I successfully connect to
> the VPN Server remotely, I cannot browse the network, and see other
> computers and ...
> www.chicagotech.net/Q&A/vpn1.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Darrell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm trying to share a printer over a Microsoft VPN network on a Windows
>> XP system (All systems are using Windows XP Pro)...I've successfully
>> setup the printer on one laptop but I'm having trouble with the second
>> one. The main desktop PC, the one the printer is connected to, is set to
>> file and printer sharing. The VPN's properties are set to allow file and
>> printer sharing on the laptop in question. All firewalls are set to
>> allow file and printer sharing. On the laptop in question, I go to
>> Control Panel/Printers and Other Hardware and select "Add a Printer."
>> This starts the Add a printer wizard and I select Next. The next option
>> I select is a network printer, I select next and the option to browse for
>> a printer. It browses to the following, +Microsoft Windows Network which
>> expands to +WorkGroup which expands to the +Computer's Name. The + sign
>> next to the Computer's Name will not expand to the name of the networked
>> printer. When I double-click to expand the Computer Name, the time
>> capsule pops-up briefly and then disappears. Is there a setting or
>> something that I'm overlooking on the laptop that's preventing it from
>> allowing the Computer Name to expand and pointing to the network printer?

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

If you don't receive a system error, you must have a successful result. Post
it here may help.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com

"Darrell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No system errors are received. The laptop in question can successfully
> login to my home VPN server, it just can't see the printer. I'm using
> "OpenDNS Servers." If I change the Home desktop PC to obtain a DNS server
> address automatically would that make a difference? I don't see how it
> would being that the other laptop can see the printer just fine.
>
> "Robert L (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It could be the name resolution issue. Do you receive a system error if
>> you do net view \\vpnhostipaddress? Or these links may help.
>>
>> Name resolution on VPN
>> Name resolution is big issue in VPN access. If your VPN server
>> doesn't setup correctly or the VPN client can't receive the VPN DNS and
>> WINS settings, ...
>> www.chicagotech.net/nameresolutionpnvpn.htm - Similar pages
>>
>> VPN name resolution and browsing
>> Q: VPN name resolution and browsing. After I successfully connect to
>> the VPN Server remotely, I cannot browse the network, and see other
>> computers and ...
>> www.chicagotech.net/Q&A/vpn1.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Darrell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm trying to share a printer over a Microsoft VPN network on a Windows
>>> XP system (All systems are using Windows XP Pro)...I've successfully
>>> setup the printer on one laptop but I'm having trouble with the second
>>> one. The main desktop PC, the one the printer is connected to, is set
>>> to file and printer sharing. The VPN's properties are set to allow file
>>> and printer sharing on the laptop in question. All firewalls are set to
>>> allow file and printer sharing. On the laptop in question, I go to
>>> Control Panel/Printers and Other Hardware and select "Add a Printer."
>>> This starts the Add a printer wizard and I select Next. The next option
>>> I select is a network printer, I select next and the option to browse
>>> for a printer. It browses to the following, +Microsoft Windows Network
>>> which expands to +WorkGroup which expands to the +Computer's Name. The
>>> + sign next to the Computer's Name will not expand to the name of the
>>> networked printer. When I double-click to expand the Computer Name, the
>>> time capsule pops-up briefly and then disappears. Is there a setting or
>>> something that I'm overlooking on the laptop that's preventing it from
>>> allowing the Computer Name to expand and pointing to the network
>>> printer?

Darrell

How do I do a "net view \\vpnhostipaddress?"

news:#tg$(E-Mail Removed)...