Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Getting popups daily

Getting popups daily

Knack

Mozilla 1.7.11

I don't have any popup sites allowed but I keep getting them. Is there an
additional popup blocker freeware that works well with Mozilla?

Ralph Fox

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 00:33:57 GMT, in message
*<VNUBf.3247$(E-Mail Removed) t>, Knack wrote:

> Mozilla 1.7.11
>
> I don't have any popup sites allowed but I keep getting them. Is there an
> additional popup blocker freeware that works well with Mozilla?

Make this easy configuration setting change to Mozilla 1.7.11.

http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/...efoxpopups.htm

The latest Firefox 1.5 has this setting built in, but not Mozilla 1.7.11.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

"Curiosity skilled the cat."

none

i have done this and it does not work ! still getting animated flash
popups .value is set to 2

none

none wrote:

> i have done this and it does not work ! still getting animated flash
> popups .value is set to 2

using firefox 1.5 by the way .

Sniper .308

On 27 Jan 2006 14:45:04 -0800, "none" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>none wrote:
>
>> i have done this and it does not work ! still getting animated flash
>> popups .value is set to 2

>using firefox 1.5 by the way .

Have you tried the Flashblock extension?.

Ralph Fox

On 27 Jan 2006 14:45:04 -0800, in message
*<(E-Mail Removed) .com>, none wrote:

> none wrote:

<unsnip>
> Ralph Fox wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 00:33:57 GMT, in message
> > *<VNUBf.3247$(E-Mail Removed) t>, Knack wrote:
> >
> > > Mozilla 1.7.11
> > > I don't have any popup sites allowed but I keep getting them. Is there an
> > > additional popup blocker freeware that works well with Mozilla?

> > Make this easy configuration setting change to Mozilla 1.7.11.
> > http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/...efoxpopups.htm
> > The latest Firefox 1.5 has this setting built in, but not Mozilla 1.7.11.

</unsnip>

> > i have done this and it does not work ! still getting animated flash
> > popups .value is set to 2

> using firefox 1.5 by the way .

1. Don't give me this "i have done this and...". Firefox 1.5 already has
this setting. You made no change to an existing setting in Firefox 1.5.
If you were getting pop-ups before, you would still get them after.

2. The pop-ups may be only happening when you click on a link on the page.
This makes it look as if the pop-up was requested by you, not an
unrequested pop-up.

Is this the cause?

3. The setting only fixes pop-ups requested by plug-ins. It does not
fix other pop-ups, such as those attached to links which you click on.

Pop-up advertisers are always trying to figure new ways to get around pop-up
blockers and make their pop-ups look like one which you requested.

4. FYI, if the pop-up _contains_ flash (a plug-in), this has nothing to do
with whether the pop-up was _requested_ by a flash plug-in.

The requesting flash plug-in has to be there before the pop-up is created.
It is on the web page, and usually invisible to the eye.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

"Curiosity skilled the cat."

elaich

"Knack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:VNUBf.3247$(E-Mail Removed) k.net:

> Mozilla 1.7.11
>
> I don't have any popup sites allowed but I keep getting them. Is there
> an additional popup blocker freeware that works well with Mozilla?

Check your computer for malware.