Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Shooting a live concert: RESULTS

Shooting a live concert: RESULTS

Cynicor

OK, this was really cool. It turns out that the concert venue was a
reeeeeally small club. The room must've been 25x25, connected to a
restaurant and bar. I positioned myself five feet from the stage with an
18-200 VR lens. I was going to try it without flash, but there was an
annoying guy with a hat in front of me, taking pictures with a wireless
remote flash. So I decided to use my on-camera flash and go down to ISO
400 for most of the shots. I'm pretty happy with the results, although
the drummer is one of those people who always gets red-eye in shots.
(Also because he was further away so the light came from a tighter angle
to the lens.)

http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/3659011

Oh, and they're my favorite band, so there you go.

John McWilliams

Cynicor wrote:
> OK, this was really cool. It turns out that the concert venue was a
> reeeeeally small club. The room must've been 25x25, connected to a
> restaurant and bar. I positioned myself five feet from the stage with an
> 18-200 VR lens. I was going to try it without flash, but there was an
> annoying guy with a hat in front of me, taking pictures with a wireless
> remote flash. So I decided to use my on-camera flash and go down to ISO
> 400 for most of the shots. I'm pretty happy with the results, although
> the drummer is one of those people who always gets red-eye in shots.
> (Also because he was further away so the light came from a tighter angle
> to the lens.)
>
> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/3659011
>
> Oh, and they're my favorite band, so there you go.

A good start, enjoyed the first dozen. But, waaaaaay too many! And I saw
a couple of clunkers- you know, where the subject jumps out of the frame
and you end up with.... nada. So, please edit mercilessly, Josh.

--
John McWilliams

Cynicor

John McWilliams wrote:
> Cynicor wrote:
>> OK, this was really cool. It turns out that the concert venue was a
>> reeeeeally small club. The room must've been 25x25, connected to a
>> restaurant and bar. I positioned myself five feet from the stage with
>> an 18-200 VR lens. I was going to try it without flash, but there was
>> an annoying guy with a hat in front of me, taking pictures with a
>> wireless remote flash. So I decided to use my on-camera flash and go
>> down to ISO 400 for most of the shots. I'm pretty happy with the
>> results, although the drummer is one of those people who always gets
>> red-eye in shots. (Also because he was further away so the light came
>> from a tighter angle to the lens.)
>>
>> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/3659011
>>
>> Oh, and they're my favorite band, so there you go.

> A good start, enjoyed the first dozen. But, waaaaaay too many! And I saw
> a couple of clunkers- you know, where the subject jumps out of the frame
> and you end up with.... nada. So, please edit mercilessly, Josh.

Make me.

I am so tired right now - I dumped them all up there. Maybe I'll go back
and cull it down to 124 images.

John McWilliams

Cynicor wrote:
> John McWilliams wrote:
>> Cynicor wrote:
>>> OK, this was really cool. It turns out that the concert venue was a
>>> reeeeeally small club. The room must've been 25x25, connected to a
>>> restaurant and bar. I positioned myself five feet from the stage with
>>> an 18-200 VR lens. I was going to try it without flash, but there was
>>> an annoying guy with a hat in front of me, taking pictures with a
>>> wireless remote flash. So I decided to use my on-camera flash and go
>>> down to ISO 400 for most of the shots. I'm pretty happy with the
>>> results, although the drummer is one of those people who always gets
>>> red-eye in shots. (Also because he was further away so the light came
>>> from a tighter angle to the lens.)
>>>
>>> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/3659011
>>>
>>> Oh, and they're my favorite band, so there you go.

>> A good start, enjoyed the first dozen. But, waaaaaay too many! And I
>> saw a couple of clunkers- you know, where the subject jumps out of the
>> frame and you end up with.... nada. So, please edit mercilessly, Josh.

> Make me.
>
> I am so tired right now - I dumped them all up there. Maybe I'll go back
> and cull it down to 124 images.

Atta boy. The finest editing starts with one image.....

--
john mcwilliams\\

Coach: "Are you just ignorant, or merely apathetic?"
Player: "Coach, I don't know, and I don't care."

Paul Furman

Cynicor wrote:

> OK, this was really cool. It turns out that the concert venue was a
> reeeeeally small club. The room must've been 25x25, connected to a
> restaurant and bar. I positioned myself five feet from the stage with an
> 18-200 VR lens. I was going to try it without flash, but there was an
> annoying guy with a hat in front of me, taking pictures with a wireless
> remote flash. So I decided to use my on-camera flash and go down to ISO
> 400 for most of the shots. I'm pretty happy with the results, although
> the drummer is one of those people who always gets red-eye in shots.
> (Also because he was further away so the light came from a tighter angle
> to the lens.)
>
> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/3659011
>
> Oh, and they're my favorite band, so there you go.

I like the ones without flash... looks much more like a club & without
those shadows on the wall.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

Paul Furman wrote:

>> OK, this was really cool. It turns out that the concert venue was a
>> reeeeeally small club. The room must've been 25x25, connected to a
>> restaurant and bar. I positioned myself five feet from the stage
>> with an 18-200 VR lens. I was going to try it without flash, but
>> there was an annoying guy with a hat in front of me, taking pictures
>> with a wireless remote flash. So I decided to use my on-camera flash
>> and go down to ISO 400 for most of the shots. I'm pretty happy with
>> the results, although the drummer is one of those people who always
>> gets red-eye in shots. (Also because he was further away so the
>> light came from a tighter angle to the lens.)
>>
>> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/3659011
>>
>> Oh, and they're my favorite band, so there you go.

No too bad. I definitely wouldn't have used the 18-200 VR for this type of
photography. You should have definitely taken the 50/14 an 85/1.4 and left
the flash home. You could have gotten away with the old 17-35/2.8 in a lot
of them shots.

> I like the ones without flash... looks much more like a club & without
> those shadows on the wall.

I agree! He could have had some sweet results at ISO 800 with the D200.

Rita

Cynicor

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
> Paul Furman wrote:
>
>>> OK, this was really cool. It turns out that the concert venue was a
>>> reeeeeally small club. The room must've been 25x25, connected to a
>>> restaurant and bar. I positioned myself five feet from the stage
>>> with an 18-200 VR lens. I was going to try it without flash, but
>>> there was an annoying guy with a hat in front of me, taking pictures
>>> with a wireless remote flash. So I decided to use my on-camera flash
>>> and go down to ISO 400 for most of the shots. I'm pretty happy with
>>> the results, although the drummer is one of those people who always
>>> gets red-eye in shots. (Also because he was further away so the
>>> light came from a tighter angle to the lens.)
>>>
>>> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/3659011
>>>
>>> Oh, and they're my favorite band, so there you go.

> No too bad. I definitely wouldn't have used the 18-200 VR for this type of
> photography. You should have definitely taken the 50/14 an 85/1.4 and left
> the flash home. You could have gotten away with the old 17-35/2.8 in a lot
> of them shots.

I had a 30/1.4 with me. But there was this middle-aged dummy with a
horseshoe-baldness-hiding cap who would not be budged from right behind
me, and he was showing up in every shot. I didn't have much room to
maneuver. They also did basically no stage lighting - it was mostly just
plain light most of the time, so I figured I'd get some good band shots.

>> I like the ones without flash... looks much more like a club & without
>> those shadows on the wall.

> I agree! He could have had some sweet results at ISO 800 with the D200.

You know, I just explained this above. Don't you people read??

I did take some high-ISO shots of the opening band. I'll get them up as
soon as my ears heal.

jj@unspameljefe.net

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:49:45 -0400, Cynicor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I had a 30/1.4 with me. But there was this middle-aged dummy with a
>horseshoe-baldness-hiding cap who would not be budged from right behind
>me, and he was showing up in every shot. I didn't have much room to
>maneuver. They also did basically no stage lighting - it was mostly just
>plain light most of the time, so I figured I'd get some good band shots.

>I did take some high-ISO shots of the opening band. I'll get them up as
>soon as my ears heal.

Welcome to my world! LOL!!! And NEVER leave home without a good pair
of earplugs.

JJ

Cynicor

> On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:49:45 -0400, Cynicor
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I had a 30/1.4 with me. But there was this middle-aged dummy with a
>> horseshoe-baldness-hiding cap who would not be budged from right behind
>> me, and he was showing up in every shot. I didn't have much room to
>> maneuver. They also did basically no stage lighting - it was mostly just
>> plain light most of the time, so I figured I'd get some good band shots.

>> I did take some high-ISO shots of the opening band. I'll get them up as
>> soon as my ears heal.

> Welcome to my world! LOL!!! And NEVER leave home without a good pair
> of earplugs.

Yeah, but it was awesome. British Sea Power has won awards for being the
best Live Act in the UK.