Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Something odd with JDK 1.6.0_03

Something odd with JDK 1.6.0_03

Roedy Green

Ever since I installed JDK 1.6.9_03 I am having various kinds of
random trouble with Java.

For example Java web start will show the splash screen, then terminate
without a message. I look with the task manager and see one or more
copies of Java.exe or javaw.exe running an services (not as
applications) Sometimes I can kill them. Sometimes I can't.
Rebooting clears the problem.

Sometimes Jet applications just freeze. Again I can clear the problem
by rebooting to get rid of these extra javaw.exe and java.exe running.

Sometimes apps just seem incredibly sluggish, then recover.

Often in IntelliJ Applets run under it just freeze and cannot be
killed. The same Applet runs fine after a reboot.

I was wondering if anyone else was having similar problems or has any
clue to the cause of this odd behaviour.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

bradley.mayer@sun.com

On Oct 15, 6:15 pm, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Ever since I installed JDK 1.6.9_03 I am having various kinds of
> random trouble with Java.
>
> For example Java web start will show the splash screen, then terminate
> without a message. I look with the task manager and see one or more
> copies of Java.exe or javaw.exe running an services (not as
> applications) Sometimes I can kill them. Sometimes I can't.
> Rebooting clears the problem.
>
> Sometimes Jet applications just freeze. Again I can clear the problem
> by rebooting to get rid of these extra javaw.exe and java.exe running.
>
> Sometimes apps just seem incredibly sluggish, then recover.
>
> Often in IntelliJ Applets run under it just freeze and cannot be
> killed. The same Applet runs fine after a reboot.
>
> I was wondering if anyone else was having similar problems or has any
> clue to the cause of this odd behaviour.
> --
> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
> The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com

Yes, I've just discovered that JavaFX apps launch via JWS fine with
1.5.0_13, but not with 1.6.0_03 - this on WinXP SP2 only. 1.6.0_03
works fine on Ubuntu linux Feisty OS version.

I've found very little searching around the java.net forums so far,
but with this clue in hand, I'd give it another try.

-Brad Mayer

Roedy Green

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:52:33 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote,

>> Ever since I installed JDK 1.6.9_03 I am having various kinds of
>> random trouble with Java.

I reinstalled Windows Vista and most of this went away. However, I am
having a mysterious problem with Intellij 7.0.1. I (which uses Java).
It thinks it is saving code style configurations, but there are no
files actually saved. This makes it unusable.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com

John W. Kennedy

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Yes, I've just discovered that JavaFX apps launch via JWS fine with
> 1.5.0_13, but not with 1.6.0_03 - this on WinXP SP2 only. 1.6.0_03
> works fine on Ubuntu linux Feisty OS version.

Works fine for me, though. (Firefox 2.0.0.
--
John W. Kennedy
"Sweet, was Christ crucified to create this chat?"

bradley.mayer@sun.com

On Nov 1, 2:40 pm, "John W. Kennedy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Yes, I've just discovered that JavaFX apps launch via JWS fine with
> > 1.5.0_13, but not with 1.6.0_03 - this on WinXP SP2 only. 1.6.0_03
> > works fine on Ubuntu linux Feisty OS version.

> Works fine for me, though. (Firefox 2.0.0.
> --
> John W. Kennedy
> "Sweet, was Christ crucified to create this chat?"
> -- Charles Williams. "Judgement at Chelmsford"

Well, I've just confirmed that JavaFX apps launch via JWS fine with
1.5.0_13 AND 1.6.0_02, but reconfirmed that I get

java.lang.SecurityException: Bad main-class name
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

with 1.6.0_03 ONLY. WinXP.

Shouldn't have much to do with the browser version - in all cases the
jnlp downloads via the Firefox downloader.

I'm certainly not going to reinstall the OS - especially as Microsoft
frowns upon doing things yourself.

-Brad

Roedy Green

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 21:23:15 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote,

>main-class name

I wonder if 1.6.0.3 is pickier, e.g. main must be void, static ...

JDK 1.5 or JDK 1.6 Pep Java 19 07-15-2007 12:06 AM
regarding JDk 141 and JDK 122 for linux 64 bit Platform Jaggu Java 3 01-08-2007 10:47 AM
What is the difference between J2EE, JDK, JDK-SDK, JRE and J2SE packages ? Ulf Meinhardt Java 0 08-10-2006 07:12 PM
jEdit: compiles JDK 1.5.0 ok, but runs JDK 1.4.1 (why?) Thomas G. Marshall Java 5 08-06-2004 04:12 AM
Help with converting IDS from JDK 1.1 to JDK 1.4 Babar Java 1 05-20-2004 09:11 PM

Advertisments