Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Is there a 3rd party text editor control that is approx as scripable as Word?

Is there a 3rd party text editor control that is approx as scripable as Word?

sandal

Does anyone have exposure to a programmable asp.net editor control that
can approximate basic aspects of Word's programability? I have an
existing system that utilizes Word and vba to build a customized
document out of text snippets and then let the user complete the
editing.

The kinds of things that I need to be able to do

- create a doc from a template (starting point)
- alter header info and logo to match the org creating the doc
- replace placeholder text with text from database
- insert values from db into bookmarks
- allow the user to select and then insert text snippets with formatting
into the doc. In word, a dialog box opens which presents a list of text
snippets (each snippet has a title, the title is presented in the list)
and when the user selects a list item it's data (paragraph(s) or phrase)
is inserted into the document.
- save completed doc as pdf

Either FreeTextBox or FCKEditor are about as close as you are going to get.
-- Peter
Recursion: see Recursion
site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com

"sandal" wrote:

> Does anyone have exposure to a programmable asp.net editor control that
> can approximate basic aspects of Word's programability? I have an
> existing system that utilizes Word and vba to build a customized
> document out of text snippets and then let the user complete the
> editing.
>
> The kinds of things that I need to be able to do
>
> - create a doc from a template (starting point)
> - alter header info and logo to match the org creating the doc
> - replace placeholder text with text from database
> - insert values from db into bookmarks
> - allow the user to select and then insert text snippets with formatting
> into the doc. In word, a dialog box opens which presents a list of text
> snippets (each snippet has a title, the title is presented in the list)
> and when the user selects a list item it's data (paragraph(s) or phrase)
> is inserted into the document.
> - save completed doc as pdf

Mark Rae [MVP]

"Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Either FreeTextBox or FCKEditor are about as close as you are going to
> get.

I can heartily recommend FreeTextBox...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

sandal

OK, thanks to the two of you.

With controls like those, in order to do the moderately complex tasks I
have laid out, one must resort to manipulating the html in code? There
are no features like Word's bookmarks for instance? If not, I suppose I
could use placeholder text instead.

Mark Rae [MVP]

"sandal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> With controls like those, in order to do the moderately complex tasks I
> have laid out, one must resort to manipulating the html in code? There
> are no features like Word's bookmarks for instance? If not, I suppose I
> could use placeholder text instead.

Not sure about bookmarks...

But if you need anything more than the free controls provide, there is a
whole industry of WYSWYG and RTF editors available for ASP.NET:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...2ASP%2eNET+RTF

Prices vary...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

sandal

Well, of course I know there are many editing controls out there; the
question was, does anyone have first hand experience with a control that
has a featureset that would allow support the requirements I listed? A
control that has programmability a little like Word?

Mark Rae [MVP]

"sandal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> Well, of course I know there are many editing controls out there; the
> question was, does anyone have first hand experience with a control that
> has a featureset that would allow support the requirements I listed? A
> control that has programmability a little like Word?

I've used this for intranet projects:
http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspos...r/Default.aspx

IE only, though...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

sandal

Thanks Mark I will have a look at aspose as an option, it does seem
closer to what I am looking for than anything else I've seen to date.

Mark Rae [MVP]

"sandal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...

> Thanks Mark I will have a look at aspose as an option, it does seem
> closer to what I am looking for than anything else I've seen to date.

Remember it's IE-only, though, so no use for public websites...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP