Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > copy word doc from web server application to client machine

copy word doc from web server application to client machine

mike11d11

In a asp.net app. can you copy a file from the web server to the
client's hard drive? I have a word doc that is part of my web program
that i want copied to the users c:\ drive or temporary internet files
folder. Also can you create a text file on the users computer using a
stream writer or something? thanks in advance for any help.

Mark Rae [MVP]

"mike11d11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> In a asp.net app. can you copy a file from the web server to the
> client's hard drive?

No, for fairly obvious security reasons...

> I have a word doc that is part of my web program that i want copied
> to the users c:\ drive or temporary internet files folder.

You can make the document available for download, but the user will need to
initiate the download e.g. by clicking on a hyperlink etc...

> Also can you create a text file on the users computer using a stream
> writer
> or something?

Again, no for the same reason.

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

Alexey Smirnov

On Oct 15, 4:11 pm, mike11d11 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In a asp.net app. can you copy a file from the web server to the
> client's hard drive? I have a word doc that is part of my web program
> that i want copied to the users c:\ drive or temporary internet files
> folder. Also can you create a text file on the users computer using a
> stream writer or something? thanks in advance for any help.

You can't save a file without user interaction. You can open it in the
browser, or send an Open/Save prompt in order to allow to download the
file.

If you open a file in-line, a copy will be saved in the temporary
internet files folder (it depends on a settings)