Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > What do I need to run Adobe Flash safely ?

What do I need to run Adobe Flash safely ?

gordon@slow.org

Never used Flash player before.
Initial review of program looks like just another can of security
worms. Everyone seems to use it, what do I need to do to use it
safely ?

nemo_outis

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Never used Flash player before.
> Initial review of program looks like just another can of security
> worms. Everyone seems to use it, what do I need to do to use it
> safely ?

It IS a security risk but, since it's ubiquitous and is often required for
functionality, not just pizzazz, you do need to allow it on many sites.

I use two add-ons (extensions) for Firefox that give me control over Flash:
Flashblock & NoScript. I have found these give me sufficient control and
granularity but YMMV.

Regards,

goarilla

nemo_outis wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Never used Flash player before.
>> Initial review of program looks like just another can of security
>> worms. Everyone seems to use it, what do I need to do to use it
>> safely ?

> It IS a security risk but, since it's ubiquitous and is often required for
> functionality, not just pizzazz, you do need to allow it on many sites.
>
> I use two add-ons (extensions) for Firefox that give me control over Flash:
> Flashblock & NoScript. I have found these give me sufficient control and
> granularity but YMMV.
>
> Regards,

i use those 2 as well , but sometimes it still feels flaky.

nemo_outis

goarilla <"kevin DOT paulus AT skynet DOT be"> wrote in
news:47167b8f$0$29265$(E-Mail Removed):

>> I use two add-ons (extensions) for Firefox that give me control over
>> Flash: Flashblock & NoScript. I have found these give me sufficient
>> control and granularity but YMMV.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> i use those 2 as well , but sometimes it still feels flaky.

If those still leave you nervous then fire up something like JanusVM or
otherwise use some sort of sandbox/virtual machine to confine any crap that
does get through.

Regards,