Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Connecting to Apple Airport wireless network from XP (SP2)

Reply
Thread Tools

Connecting to Apple Airport wireless network from XP (SP2)

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?U2hhbmVT?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-15-2007
I have a new MSI VR700 notebook running XP Service Pack 2 and it doesn't show
our Apple Airport wireless network in its list of available networks.

XP's "Choose a wireless network" screen simply says "No wireless networks
in range" and recommends "Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is
on".

Under "Wireless Connection Properties" I have added the name & required
details of the Airport network, but it still won't list it as available.
I have been using Apple computers only for years and unfortunately have not
kept up with Windows. Can anyone steer me the right way, please?

--
ShaneS
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gerard Bok
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-15-2007
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 23:15:04 -0700, =?Utf-8?B?U2hhbmVT?=
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a new MSI VR700 notebook running XP Service Pack 2 and it doesn't show
>our Apple Airport wireless network in its list of available networks.


Let me guess:
Apple's Airport is an 802.11a type network (5 GHz) ?
Your notebook supports 802.11b & 802.11g (2.4 GHz) ?

Then, you have an incompatibility that is not easy to solve
(As far as I know, at least

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Barb Bowman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-15-2007
is the Airport broadcasting the SSID or is it hidden? Is there an
active wireless NIC in network adapters in Device Manager? Is there
a driver installed?

IS there a hardware or software switch to turn on the wireless?

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 23:15:04 -0700, ShaneS
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a new MSI VR700 notebook running XP Service Pack 2 and it doesn't show
>our Apple Airport wireless network in its list of available networks.
>
>XP's "Choose a wireless network" screen simply says "No wireless networks
>in range" and recommends "Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is
>on".
>
>Under "Wireless Connection Properties" I have added the name & required
>details of the Airport network, but it still won't list it as available.
>I have been using Apple computers only for years and unfortunately have not
>kept up with Windows. Can anyone steer me the right way, please?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?U2hhbmVT?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2007
Thanks Barb & Gerard, but in the meantime I tried reloading XP (Service Pack
2) from the CD-ROM and selected "Upgrade" and when it finished loading,
everything just simply worked!
Windows, whatever it's perceived shortcomings, has dramatically improved
since the last time I used it in the notorious "Blue screen of death" years.
Although I understand Vista is going through the usual teething problems, I
would gladly run this XP (SP2) with the new Mac OS X Leopard when it comes
out - my previously limited software/accessory options are going to be
awesome!

With appreciation,
--
ShaneS


"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> is the Airport broadcasting the SSID or is it hidden? Is there an
> active wireless NIC in network adapters in Device Manager? Is there
> a driver installed?
>
> IS there a hardware or software switch to turn on the wireless?
>
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 23:15:04 -0700, ShaneS
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have a new MSI VR700 notebook running XP Service Pack 2 and it doesn't show
> >our Apple Airport wireless network in its list of available networks.
> >
> >XP's "Choose a wireless network" screen simply says "No wireless networks
> >in range" and recommends "Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is
> >on".
> >
> >Under "Wireless Connection Properties" I have added the name & required
> >details of the Airport network, but it still won't list it as available.
> >I have been using Apple computers only for years and unfortunately have not
> >kept up with Windows. Can anyone steer me the right way, please?

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Barb Bowman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2007
thanks for the update. glad it is working!

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 05:16:01 -0700, ShaneS
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks Barb & Gerard, but in the meantime I tried reloading XP (Service Pack
>2) from the CD-ROM and selected "Upgrade" and when it finished loading,
>everything just simply worked!
>Windows, whatever it's perceived shortcomings, has dramatically improved
>since the last time I used it in the notorious "Blue screen of death" years.
>Although I understand Vista is going through the usual teething problems, I
>would gladly run this XP (SP2) with the new Mac OS X Leopard when it comes
>out - my previously limited software/accessory options are going to be
>awesome!
>
>With appreciation,

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connecting an Apple to my wireless network =?Utf-8?B?Y2hyaXMgcw==?= Wireless Networking 1 04-05-2006 01:55 PM
Trouble Connecting to Airport Express network: "Out of Range" Erro =?Utf-8?B?Q29sbGlu?= Wireless Networking 1 12-05-2005 12:28 AM
Wireless networking of Apple Airport to Windows XP =?Utf-8?B?QXR0eWluYXo=?= Wireless Networking 1 12-04-2004 04:35 PM
FA: Airport, Airport 1975, & Airport '77 on DVD Rocketman DVD Video 0 03-03-2004 07:14 PM



Advertisments