Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What plastic is the Nikon Coolpix camera body made up of (why did glue melt it?)

What plastic is the Nikon Coolpix camera body made up of (why did glue melt it?)

cavelamb himself

Jeanette Guire wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:06:46 -0000, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
>

>>The CA "fogging" is because CA cements sublime at room temperatures, and
>>recondense on adjacent surfaces -- where they ultimately cure in the form
>>of a white film.

> That must be what happened. The entire inside of the battery compartment
> turned a milky white and changed from a smooth surface to a slightly
> rougher surface. Even the yellow plastic sticker showing which way to put
> the batteries seemed to get fogged up. Wierd.

Even weirder, this "feature" is used in developing fingerprints in
criminal investigations.

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/feneric/cyanoacrylate.html

Jeanette Guire

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:47:51 -0500, cavelamb himself wrote:

> Just a SWAG, but it could be that the plastic seems to melt
> due to the reaction heat of the epoxy. ie: it DID melt.

Hey, you know, this might be the answer! Thanks. It did seem to only happen
in the beginning, while the epoxy mix was still wet. I think this is what
happened. At least it makes sense. Thanks!

Richard J Kinch

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh writes:

> IF the plasticizer was PVC, you can expect it to re-harden in a
> few weeks.

PVC? PVC is the plastic, not the plasticizer?

Jeanette Guire

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:51:09 -0500, cavelamb himself wrote:

> http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/feneric/cyanoacrylate.html

Wow!

SteveB

"JR North" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Don't know, but the minute amount of CA req to attach the repair part in
> that location should not cause a fogging problem. Prolly you used *way*
> too much. Also, there are less energetic CA formulas, like slow/thick
> gap-filling, which do not go off with the fumes and heat that super-thin
> CA does. Once more, a little dab'l do ya.
> JR
> Dweller in te cellar
>
> Jeanette Guire wrote:
>> Do you know what plastic the Nikon Coolpix 3100 camera body is made up
>> of?
>>
>> The reason I ask is that I had the same problem as all other Nikon
>> Coolpix
>> owners did - namely the tiny plastic loop on the camera body breaks off
>> so
>> the battery door won't latch so I superglued and epoxied a paperclip in
>> place. This worked but everywhere inside the battery compartment was
>> fogged
>> and pitted with tiny holes from the Locktite cyanoacrylate superglue and
>> everywhere the Locktite Quick Set 5-minute Epoxy was wet, the camera body
>> melted. Obviously I used the wrong glues and epoxy but nowhere in the
>> reference
>> articles on how to fix the common flaw in the Nikon Coolpix cameras did
>> it
>> say WHICH epoxy and glue were used!!!!
>>
>> Here is a photo of the Nikon Coolpix camera body BEFORE it breaks
>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Niko...ompartment.jpg
>>
>> Here is a photo of Nikon Coolpix camera body ultimately broken
>> http://files.myopera.com/mcduret/blog/IMGP0065b.JPG
>>
>> Here a user fixed the Nikon Coolpix camera body with a paperclip
>> http://www.uthunter.com/images/Nikonfix.jpg
>>
>> Here a user fix the Nikon Coolpix camera with a tripod
>> http://files.myopera.com/mcduret/blog/IMGP0070b.JPG
>>
>> Here is how I fixed the Nikon Coolpix 3100 camera with epoxy
>> http://usera.imagecave.com/coolpixfixer/
>>
>> Here is a photo of how Nikon fixed the flaw themselves
>> http://www.scaredpoet.com/images/E7600_batterydoor.jpg
>>
>> Since the crazy glue fogged and pitted the body and since the epoxy
>> melted
>> the body where it touched and stayed wet, I must have used the wrong
>> glues.
>> The epoxy says not to use on polyethylene or polypropylene - but what is
>> the Nikon Coolpix 2100/3100 camera body made up of?

Why in the world didn't you just send it back to Nikon. They would have
probably chucked that one and sent you another. And another. And another.

Steve

Cydrome Leader

In rec.crafts.metalworking Jeanette Guire <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 05:27:41 -0700, Rich wrote:
>
>>> what is the Nikon Coolpix 2100/3100 camera body made up of?

>> Polystyrene garbage. A step from even rotten polycarbonate.

> That begs the question of which is the best substance to glue a paperclip
> onto the camera body to fix the infamous Nikon Coolpix camera flaws?

plastic is clearly too weak for that loop.

I'd repair it with paperclip wire melted into place. zig zag the wire
for better grip on the plastic, then glue. GC Bond (used in electronics
repair) would be fine and doesn't hurt most plastics.

Rich Grise

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:26:21 +0000, Jeanette Guire wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 05:27:41 -0700, Rich wrote:
>
>>> what is the Nikon Coolpix 2100/3100 camera body made up of?

>> Polystyrene garbage. A step from even rotten polycarbonate.

> That begs the question...

No, it doesm't. It _raises_ the question, it _demands_ the
question, it _prompts_ the question, but it does _NOT_ "beg"
the question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

Thanks,
Rich Grise, self-appointed chief,
Internet Grammar Police.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Richard J Kinch <(E-Mail Removed)> fired this volley in

> Lloyd E. Sponenburgh writes:
>
>> IF the plasticizer was PVC, you can expect it to re-harden in a
>> few weeks.

> PVC? PVC is the plastic, not the plasticizer?

PVC is often used as a plasticizer in other more brittle plastics. It's
most of what's in plastic fishing worms, and what made them dissolve
tackle boxes until the makers hit on using polypropylene instead of
styrene.

LLoyd

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Jeanette Guire <(E-Mail Removed)> fired this volley in
news:hMKQi.10808$(E-Mail Removed) t:

> On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 05:27:41 -0700, Rich wrote:
>
>>> what is the Nikon Coolpix 2100/3100 camera body made up of?

>> Polystyrene garbage. A step from even rotten polycarbonate.

> That begs the question of which is the best substance to glue a

paperclip
> onto the camera body to fix the infamous Nikon Coolpix camera flaws?

If it's styrene for sure, then ordinary Testor's Model Cement is the
ideal fix.

LLoyd

Spehro Pefhany

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 05:27:41 -0700, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Oct 15, 2:08 am, Jeanette Guire <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>> Do you know what plastic the Nikon Coolpix 3100 camera body is made up of?
>>
>> The reason I ask is that I had the same problem as all other Nikon Coolpix
>> owners did - namely the tiny plastic loop on the camera body breaks off so
>> the battery door won't latch so I superglued and epoxied a paperclip in
>> place. This worked but everywhere inside the battery compartment was fogged
>> and pitted with tiny holes from the Locktite cyanoacrylate superglue and
>> everywhere the Locktite Quick Set 5-minute Epoxy was wet, the camera body
>> melted.
>>
>> Obviously I used the wrong glues and epoxy but nowhere in the reference
>> articles on how to fix the common flaw in the Nikon Coolpix cameras did it
>> say WHICH epoxy and glue were used!!!!
>>
>> Here is a photo of the Nikon Coolpix camera body BEFORE it breakshttp://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonCP3100/Images/battcompartment.jpg
>>
>> Here is a photo of Nikon Coolpix camera body ultimately brokenhttp://files.myopera.com/mcduret/blog/IMGP0065b.JPG
>>
>> Here a user fixed the Nikon Coolpix camera body with a papercliphttp://www.uthunter.com/images/Nikonfix.jpg
>>
>> Here a user fix the Nikon Coolpix camera with a tripodhttp://files.myopera.com/mcduret/blog/IMGP0070b.JPG
>>
>> Here is how I fixed the Nikon Coolpix 3100 camera with epoxyhttp://usera.imagecave.com/coolpixfixer/
>>
>> Here is a photo of how Nikon fixed the flaw themselveshttp://www.scaredpoet.com/images/E7600_batterydoor.jpg
>>
>> Since the crazy glue fogged and pitted the body and since the epoxy melted
>> the body where it touched and stayed wet, I must have used the wrong glues.
>> The epoxy says not to use on polyethylene or polypropylene - but what is
>> the Nikon Coolpix 2100/3100 camera body made up of?

>Polystyrene garbage. A step from even rotten polycarbonate.

HIPS is pretty good these days (and not much different in price from
good ABS or polycarbonate). It also molds very nicely, being a
crystalline rather an amorphous plastic. A lot of IR remotes are
molded from HIPS. It's not your father's polystyrene.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com