Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Networking?!?!?!

Reply
Thread Tools

Wireless Networking?!?!?!

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2005
My apologies if this is directed to the wrong forum:

Hi, we have a desktop and a laptop, both have WinXP OS . The desktop
connects to the 'net' via an ADSL broadband modem (USB), through a telephone
line(not cable) at 576.00Kbps. Though I'm thinking of upgrading to 1G. The
laptop has a wireless (802.11g) card.
Can anybody advise us which hardware we need to go wireless? We don't mind
the desktop being wired but would like to 'roam' with the laptop. We've
looked at countless routers, gateways etc. and wandered about PC World asking
questions with not much in the way of a helpful answer how these people
get their jobs as sales people I don't know.)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
J.J.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jack
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2005
Hi

You can try Ad-Hoc connection as described on this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...wman_02april08.
mspx?pf=trueHi

For the long run you should do yourself a big favor and get an External
Ethernet DSL Modem. The USB Modems will limit your options for future
expansion.

Jack (MVP-Networking).





"J.J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My apologies if this is directed to the wrong forum:
>
> Hi, we have a desktop and a laptop, both have WinXP OS . The desktop
> connects to the 'net' via an ADSL broadband modem (USB), through a

telephone
> line(not cable) at 576.00Kbps. Though I'm thinking of upgrading to 1G. The
> laptop has a wireless (802.11g) card.
> Can anybody advise us which hardware we need to go wireless? We don't

mind
> the desktop being wired but would like to 'roam' with the laptop. We've
> looked at countless routers, gateways etc. and wandered about PC World

asking
> questions with not much in the way of a helpful answer how these people
> get their jobs as sales people I don't know.)
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> TIA
> J.J.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2005


"Jack" wrote:

> Hi
>
> You can try Ad-Hoc connection as described on this page:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...wman_02april08.
> mspx?pf=trueHi
>
> For the long run you should do yourself a big favor and get an External
> Ethernet DSL Modem. The USB Modems will limit your options for future
> expansion.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
>
>
>
>
> "J.J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My apologies if this is directed to the wrong forum:
> >
> > Hi, we have a desktop and a laptop, both have WinXP OS . The desktop
> > connects to the 'net' via an ADSL broadband modem (USB), through a

> telephone
> > line(not cable) at 576.00Kbps. Though I'm thinking of upgrading to 1G. The
> > laptop has a wireless (802.11g) card.
> > Can anybody advise us which hardware we need to go wireless? We don't

> mind
> > the desktop being wired but would like to 'roam' with the laptop. We've
> > looked at countless routers, gateways etc. and wandered about PC World

> asking
> > questions with not much in the way of a helpful answer how these people
> > get their jobs as sales people I don't know.)
> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> > TIA
> > J.J.

>
>
>

Thanks for the reply Jack but thats our problem. We don't know what to look
for. It's alright you saying
" get an External Ethernet DSL Modem." Is that the same as an ADSL Modem,
can I run the laptop 'Wireless' from that?
I've been looking at an Wireless ADSL Modem Router + 4 Ports10/100 MBPS
Switch or is that going over the top? Or maybe a Wireless Gateway Router with
Built in Modem?(Belkin). We're looking to you, the experts for a bit of
advice please.
TIA
J.J.
Liverpool(RED)
UK
 
Reply With Quote
 
peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2005
I would buy a seperate DSL modem checking with my ISP provider to see what will
work with their system.
Then I would and I did buy a NetGear 108 Mbps Wireless Firewall Router model
WGT624 v2 with a WG511T Wireless PC Card for the laptop.
This unit was so easy to set up and configure that even I (who had never set up
a wired one never mind wireless) could do it.
here is a website
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGT624.php

opions will vary.......but this thing worked right out of the box and then by
following the clearly written manual I added security and was surfing and
networking my 3 computer,one a laptop within 2 hours.
here is a website that will explain in detail how to set up a network
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/index.asp

peter

"J.J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
> "Jack" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> You can try Ad-Hoc connection as described on this page:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...wman_02april08.
>> mspx?pf=trueHi
>>
>> For the long run you should do yourself a big favor and get an External
>> Ethernet DSL Modem. The USB Modems will limit your options for future
>> expansion.
>>
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> "J.J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > My apologies if this is directed to the wrong forum:
>> >
>> > Hi, we have a desktop and a laptop, both have WinXP OS . The desktop
>> > connects to the 'net' via an ADSL broadband modem (USB), through a

>> telephone
>> > line(not cable) at 576.00Kbps. Though I'm thinking of upgrading to 1G. The
>> > laptop has a wireless (802.11g) card.
>> > Can anybody advise us which hardware we need to go wireless? We don't

>> mind
>> > the desktop being wired but would like to 'roam' with the laptop. We've
>> > looked at countless routers, gateways etc. and wandered about PC World

>> asking
>> > questions with not much in the way of a helpful answer how these people
>> > get their jobs as sales people I don't know.)
>> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>> > TIA
>> > J.J.

>>
>>
>>

> Thanks for the reply Jack but thats our problem. We don't know what to look
> for. It's alright you saying
> " get an External Ethernet DSL Modem." Is that the same as an ADSL Modem,
> can I run the laptop 'Wireless' from that?
> I've been looking at an Wireless ADSL Modem Router + 4 Ports10/100 MBPS
> Switch or is that going over the top? Or maybe a Wireless Gateway Router with
> Built in Modem?(Belkin). We're looking to you, the experts for a bit of
> advice please.
> TIA
> J.J.
> Liverpool(RED)
> UK



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Belkin N1 Wireless USB Adapter (F5D8051 ver 2010uk) and Channel 13. Notes on Pre-N Notebook card (F5D8010 ver 1001uk), Wireless G Notebook card (F5D7011 ver 1000uk) and Wireless G Plus router (F5D7231-4 ver 3000uk) John Wireless Networking 1 07-27-2009 08:41 AM
Wireless Bridge VS Wireless Access Point for DVR connection to wireless network Mark Wireless Networking 0 12-28-2005 09:21 PM
Re: MN-500 Wireless Base Station and MN-510 Wireless Adapter Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows] Wireless Networking 0 08-04-2004 11:28 AM
Looking for hotfix - 828940 Wireless Client Cannot Reconnect to a Wireless Access Point Chris Wireless Networking 1 07-07-2004 07:51 PM
Wireless disconect problem with 3 other wireless networks John Wireless Networking 2 06-23-2004 02:38 PM



Advertisments