Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Migration windows and exchange

Migration windows and exchange

Andrea Racca

Hi,
I have this question and problem...
I have a server Windows 2003 32 bit Standard Edition with Exchange 2003
Standard. This server is the first domain controller of my forest.
I need to migrate this server to Windows 2003 64 bit and Exchante 2007. It's
possibile to make this on the same machine? What's the good strategy to
make this migratione?
Thank's

Andrea

Jorge Silva

Hi
- Direct upgrade in the x86 = Not Possible.
- However you can introduce the x64 Windows 2003 in a different Server and
add it as additional DC.
- If you Plan to create a different forest and then migrate to that new
forest, you should also be fine with that.

--
===================================
I hope that the information above helps you.

Jorge Silva
MCSE, MVP Directory Services
===================================

"Andrea Racca" <raccaNOSPAMlibero.it> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I have this question and problem...
> I have a server Windows 2003 32 bit Standard Edition with Exchange 2003
> Standard. This server is the first domain controller of my forest.
> I need to migrate this server to Windows 2003 64 bit and Exchante 2007.
> It's
> possibile to make this on the same machine? What's the good strategy to
> make this migratione?
> Thank's
>
> Andrea

Al Mulnick

First domain controller really makes no difference to speak of, as long as
you transfer the roles. The harder part is Exchange because you installed
it on a domain controller where it will retain its affinity for that domain
controller.

For my money, since you have to change hardware anyway, install Exchange
2007 on the new hardware and transfer/migrate your Exchange to the new
hardware (which is mostly your only choice with 2007 right? See microsoft's
website for more information about adding Exchange 2007 to an Exchange 2003
ORG.) That would be the first step. Then, when all of Exchange is
transferred/migrated to the new machine, shutdown Exchange 2003 on the
existing and let it bake for a week or so to be sure nothing got missed.
Once you're sure, remove it completely. Then worry about the DC/GC.

Be sure to transfer your FSMO roles from the DC to a new DC (retain at least
two DC/GC's in your domain if you can.) and try not to put Exchange on a DC
if you can help it. Having it standalone makes it easier to replace hardware
as needed later. Since there is a new OS coming in the next year, you may as
well prep for that now by not complicating the environment anymore then
needed. Besides, Exchange does better if it's separated from the GC
physically. Also, be sure to separate name resolution, dhcp, etc before you
shut the servers down.

My $0.04 (USD)

Al

"Andrea Racca" <raccaNOSPAMlibero.it> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I have this question and problem...
> I have a server Windows 2003 32 bit Standard Edition with Exchange 2003
> Standard. This server is the first domain controller of my forest.
> I need to migrate this server to Windows 2003 64 bit and Exchante 2007.
> It's
> possibile to make this on the same machine? What's the good strategy to
> make this migratione?
> Thank's
>
> Andrea

London Stock Exchange Suspends Migration To Linux. Boris Badenough Computer Support 1 11-08-2010 04:07 PM
Domino mail 5.5 migration to exchange 2003 sanka General Computer Support 0 06-22-2007 09:54 AM
Exchange 5.5 with Exchange 2000 Cluster problem Jose Luis Microsoft Certification 0 02-13-2004 10:23 AM
Exchange Migration Nick MCSE 2 11-19-2003 03:05 AM
help: My exchange lost M: and exchange can not start winman MCSE 9 07-30-2003 04:34 PM

Advertisments