Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Workgroups???

Workgroups???

Mark

Do all of the Vista and XP computers on my home network need to be in
the same workgroup? If so, how do I change the workgroup name? All of
the pc's are able to access the web through my router, but they don't
seem to be able to see each other. BTW, I did install the update to the
XP units so the Vista one can see it. Firewalls are off, as a side
question, do I need the firewalls turned on for my pc's that are behind
a router (Linksys).

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

For easy browsing network computers, it is better to have all computers in
the same workgroup. To change workgroup, right click on the My Computer,
select Properties>Computer Name>Change.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

news:32gQi.4802$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Do all of the Vista and XP computers on my home network need to be in the
> same workgroup? If so, how do I change the workgroup name? All of the
> pc's are able to access the web through my router, but they don't seem to
> be able to see each other. BTW, I did install the update to the XP units
> so the Vista one can see it. Firewalls are off, as a side question, do I
> need the firewalls turned on for my pc's that are behind a router
> (Linksys).

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Yes you need Software Firewall (as well as Antivirus and Antispyware
applications) on each computer.
The Router NAT Firewall is a very basic income only protection.
More here - Internet Basic protection, http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).