Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > twain, digital camera as web cam, again

twain, digital camera as web cam, again

Paul Pedersen

I know people have asked this before, but I haven't seen a satisfactory
answer.

What do I need to do, what kind of camera do I have to buy, to use it as a
web cam? I need to take portrait photos, still pictures (I don't need
movies), directly into the computer where I can handle them with software
that acts through TWAIN.

An actual webcam works fine in this manner, but the picture quality is just
too low. I need better resolution, focus, color, etc. Not super-duper, but
definitely better than I can get with a standard webcam.

I've seen ID photo cameras for sale, but they are expensive and come with
lot of specialty software that I have no use for. A $100 digicam would be
great, if only it came with a TWAIN driver.

Any suggestions?

Steven

"Paul Pedersen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know people have asked this before, but I haven't seen a satisfactory
>answer.
>
> What do I need to do, what kind of camera do I have to buy, to use it as a
> web cam? I need to take portrait photos, still pictures (I don't need
> movies), directly into the computer where I can handle them with software
> that acts through TWAIN.
>
> An actual webcam works fine in this manner, but the picture quality is
> just too low. I need better resolution, focus, color, etc. Not
> super-duper, but definitely better than I can get with a standard webcam.
>
> I've seen ID photo cameras for sale, but they are expensive and come with
> lot of specialty software that I have no use for. A $100 digicam would be
> great, if only it came with a TWAIN driver.

You can connect any compact digital camera to a PC and see on screen what
the camera has on its LCD. Likewise the same for a DSLR that has live view.

S.

Jonathan

Paul Pedersen wrote:
> I know people have asked this before, but I haven't seen a
> satisfactory answer.
>
> What do I need to do, what kind of camera do I have to buy, to use it
> as a web cam? I need to take portrait photos, still pictures (I don't
> need movies), directly into the computer where I can handle them with
> software that acts through TWAIN.
>
> An actual webcam works fine in this manner, but the picture quality
> is just too low. I need better resolution, focus, color, etc. Not
> super-duper, but definitely better than I can get with a standard
> webcam.
> I've seen ID photo cameras for sale, but they are expensive and come
> with lot of specialty software that I have no use for. A $100 digicam
> would be great, if only it came with a TWAIN driver.
>
> Any suggestions?

I use camcorders for all my web cams. I get older ones at fee markets for
around $50.00 each. Less if you buy more than one. Some even have remote
control with zoom and still photo abilities. Much better quality than any
web cam on the market no matter how much you spend. I have about 10 old Sony
handy cams that all work perfect complete with chargers and accessories. You
can attach external lenses and filters if you like making them far better
than the limited web cams.

Paul Pedersen

"Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Paul Pedersen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I know people have asked this before, but I haven't seen a satisfactory
>>answer.
>>
>> What do I need to do, what kind of camera do I have to buy, to use it as
>> a web cam? I need to take portrait photos, still pictures (I don't need
>> movies), directly into the computer where I can handle them with software
>> that acts through TWAIN.
>>
>> An actual webcam works fine in this manner, but the picture quality is
>> just too low. I need better resolution, focus, color, etc. Not
>> super-duper, but definitely better than I can get with a standard webcam.
>>
>> I've seen ID photo cameras for sale, but they are expensive and come with
>> lot of specialty software that I have no use for. A $100 digicam would be
>> great, if only it came with a TWAIN driver.

> You can connect any compact digital camera to a PC and see on screen what
> the camera has on its LCD. Likewise the same for a DSLR that has live
> view.
>
> S.

I do not believe that is the case.

I have here a Casio EX-Z55, a Samsung L73, and a Kodak Easyshare. If there's
a way to make that happen with any of those cameras, please tell me what it
is.

V Green

Paul:

There's a feature in Paint Shop Pro that might
be what you're looking for. The following is from
the v7 help file:

--------------------
3 Use the Single Exposure Operations panel to view and work with individual
images:

Click the left and right arrows below the preview box to scroll through the
images. Each picture's exposure number, time and date of creation, and preview
appear. (The preview appears only if you downloaded the thumbnails.)

If you want to take a picture and see it immediately, position the camera,
click Take Picture, and then click Get Preview.

If you chose not to download the thumbnails and now want to see a preview of
the selected image, click Get Preview.

Click Delete to delete the image from the camera.

Click Open in PSP to open the image in the Paint Shop Pro workspace.

Click Save to Disk to save the image on your hard disk without opening it.
----------------------

In particular the "If you want to take a picture..." bullet point
sounds promising.

I have no use for this function so can't speak to
how well it works.

"Paul Pedersen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Paul Pedersen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I know people have asked this before, but I haven't seen a satisfactory
> >>answer.
> >>
> >> What do I need to do, what kind of camera do I have to buy, to use it as
> >> a web cam? I need to take portrait photos, still pictures (I don't need
> >> movies), directly into the computer where I can handle them with software
> >> that acts through TWAIN.
> >>
> >> An actual webcam works fine in this manner, but the picture quality is
> >> just too low. I need better resolution, focus, color, etc. Not
> >> super-duper, but definitely better than I can get with a standard webcam.
> >>
> >> I've seen ID photo cameras for sale, but they are expensive and come with
> >> lot of specialty software that I have no use for. A $100 digicam would be
> >> great, if only it came with a TWAIN driver.

> > You can connect any compact digital camera to a PC and see on screen what
> > the camera has on its LCD. Likewise the same for a DSLR that has live
> > view.
> >
> > S.

> I do not believe that is the case.
>
> I have here a Casio EX-Z55, a Samsung L73, and a Kodak Easyshare. If there's
> a way to make that happen with any of those cameras, please tell me what it
> is.

Paul Pedersen

Thanks, but I think that just isn't going to work without a twain driver for
the camera, and for some reason, those seem to be common only for webcams,
and maybe movie cameras.

"V Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_lhQi.596$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Paul:
>
> There's a feature in Paint Shop Pro that might
> be what you're looking for. The following is from
> the v7 help file:
>
> --------------------
> 3 Use the Single Exposure Operations panel to view and work with
> individual
> images:
>
> Click the left and right arrows below the preview box to scroll through
> the
> images. Each picture's exposure number, time and date of creation, and
> preview
> appear. (The preview appears only if you downloaded the thumbnails.)
>
> If you want to take a picture and see it immediately, position the
> camera,
> click Take Picture, and then click Get Preview.
>
> If you chose not to download the thumbnails and now want to see a
> preview of
> the selected image, click Get Preview.
>
> Click Delete to delete the image from the camera.
>
> Click Open in PSP to open the image in the Paint Shop Pro workspace.
>
> Click Save to Disk to save the image on your hard disk without opening
> it.
> ----------------------
>
> In particular the "If you want to take a picture..." bullet point
> sounds promising.
>
> I have no use for this function so can't speak to
> how well it works.
>

> "Paul Pedersen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>> "Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > "Paul Pedersen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > You can connect any compact digital camera to a PC and see on screen
>> > what
>> > the camera has on its LCD. Likewise the same for a DSLR that has live
>> > view.
>> >
>> > S.

>> I do not believe that is the case.
>>
>> I have here a Casio EX-Z55, a Samsung L73, and a Kodak Easyshare. If
>> there's
>> a way to make that happen with any of those cameras, please tell me what
>> it
>> is.

V Green

Paul:

I had a quick look at the Corel FAQ's for PSP and
they seem to imply that a lot of cameras come with
TWAIN drivers.

Are you sure that none of yours do? I mean, REALLY,
REALLY (as in looked all over and double-checked the
CD that came with the camera) sure?

You might benefit from browsing the FAQ on your own:

http://support.corel.com/scripts/rig...er/std_alp.php

If this is important to you, I guess you should consider
buying a cam that you KNOW has TWAIN support and
stop banging your head against the wall trying to get your
current collection to work.

"Paul Pedersen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Thanks, but I think that just isn't going to work without a twain driver for
> the camera, and for some reason, those seem to be common only for webcams,
> and maybe movie cameras.
>

> "V Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:_lhQi.596$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Paul:
> >
> > There's a feature in Paint Shop Pro that might
> > be what you're looking for. The following is from
> > the v7 help file:
> >
> > --------------------
> > 3 Use the Single Exposure Operations panel to view and work with
> > individual
> > images:
> >
> > Click the left and right arrows below the preview box to scroll through
> > the
> > images. Each picture's exposure number, time and date of creation, and
> > preview
> > appear. (The preview appears only if you downloaded the thumbnails.)
> >
> > If you want to take a picture and see it immediately, position the
> > camera,
> > click Take Picture, and then click Get Preview.
> >
> > If you chose not to download the thumbnails and now want to see a
> > preview of
> > the selected image, click Get Preview.
> >
> > Click Delete to delete the image from the camera.
> >
> > Click Open in PSP to open the image in the Paint Shop Pro workspace.
> >
> > Click Save to Disk to save the image on your hard disk without opening
> > it.
> > ----------------------
> >
> > In particular the "If you want to take a picture..." bullet point
> > sounds promising.
> >
> > I have no use for this function so can't speak to
> > how well it works.
> >

> > "Paul Pedersen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> >>
> >> "Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> I do not believe that is the case.
> >>
> >> I have here a Casio EX-Z55, a Samsung L73, and a Kodak Easyshare. If
> >> there's
> >> a way to make that happen with any of those cameras, please tell me what
> >> it
> >> is.

Steven

>> "V Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:_lhQi.596$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Paul:
>> >
>> > There's a feature in Paint Shop Pro that might
>> > be what you're looking for. The following is from
>> > the v7 help file:
>> >
>> > --------------------
>> > 3 Use the Single Exposure Operations panel to view and work with
>> > individual
>> > images:
>> >
>> > Click the left and right arrows below the preview box to scroll
>> > through
>> > the
>> > images. Each picture's exposure number, time and date of creation, and
>> > preview
>> > appear. (The preview appears only if you downloaded the thumbnails.)
>> >
>> > If you want to take a picture and see it immediately, position the
>> > camera,
>> > click Take Picture, and then click Get Preview.
>> >
>> > If you chose not to download the thumbnails and now want to see a
>> > preview of
>> > the selected image, click Get Preview.
>> >
>> > Click Delete to delete the image from the camera.
>> >
>> > Click Open in PSP to open the image in the Paint Shop Pro workspace.
>> >
>> > Click Save to Disk to save the image on your hard disk without
>> > opening
>> > it.
>> > ----------------------
>> >
>> > In particular the "If you want to take a picture..." bullet point
>> > sounds promising.
>> >
>> > I have no use for this function so can't speak to
>> > how well it works.
>> >

>> > "Paul Pedersen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news(E-Mail Removed). ..

What software came with the cameras? My old Canon, Fuji and Olympus cameras
came with software and leads that allowed the cameras to be attached to the
PC and thus operate the cameras from the PC. Have you looked at all the
software that came bundled?

Paul Pedersen

> Are you sure that none of yours do? I mean, REALLY,
> REALLY (as in looked all over and double-checked the
> CD that came with the camera) sure?

Maybe I'm going blind, but I sure don't see that for the Casio or the
Samsung. (I sold the Kodak.) Not on their web sites either.

> If this is important to you, I guess you should consider
> buying a cam that you KNOW has TWAIN support and
> stop banging your head against the wall trying to get your
> current collection to work.

I agree with you there. But it seems that not many cameras come with a twain
driver these days, and the ones that do don't seem to advertise the fact
much.

Plus, I don't like the idea of shelling out another $100+ for a camera that
does supposedly have twain support, only to find out that it's non-standard
and won't work with my software for some reason. Things like that happen.

The irony is, a $30 webcam works great, except for the crappy photo quality.

Do you know of any webcams that can take good pictures? I've seen "5
megapixel" webcams on EBay for around $20, but if they take decent pictures,
I'd be shocked.

Paul Pedersen

> What software came with the cameras? My old Canon, Fuji and Olympus
> cameras
> came with software and leads that allowed the cameras to be attached to
> the PC and thus operate the cameras from the PC. Have you looked at all
> the software that came bundled?

It seems to me that older cameras often came with twain software, but there
doesn't seem to have been much demand for it, because it's far less common
now.

I thought about buying one of those older cameras, but it's probably not
such a great idea to put a driver designed for Windows 98 onto XP or Vista.