Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > twain, digital camera as web cam, again

twain, digital camera as web cam, again

V Green

"Paul Pedersen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > Are you sure that none of yours do? I mean, REALLY,
> > REALLY (as in looked all over and double-checked the
> > CD that came with the camera) sure?

> Maybe I'm going blind, but I sure don't see that for the Casio or the
> Samsung. (I sold the Kodak.) Not on their web sites either.
>

> > If this is important to you, I guess you should consider
> > buying a cam that you KNOW has TWAIN support and
> > stop banging your head against the wall trying to get your
> > current collection to work.

> I agree with you there. But it seems that not many cameras come with a twain
> driver these days, and the ones that do don't seem to advertise the fact
> much.
>
> Plus, I don't like the idea of shelling out another $100+ for a camera that
> does supposedly have twain support, only to find out that it's non-standard
> and won't work with my software for some reason. Things like that happen.
>
> The irony is, a $30 webcam works great, except for the crappy photo quality.
>
> Do you know of any webcams that can take good pictures? I've seen "5
> megapixel" webcams on EBay for around $20, but if they take decent pictures,
> I'd be shocked.

Yeah, me too. They tend to be only toys.

FWIW, if you go out and buy a D80 (or DXX), you can get
software that will do what you want:

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/ccp_en.pdf

Kinda overkill, maybe.

I took a quick trip through the cam world looking for
something that would fit your needs, and the pickins'
are indeed slim.

Perhaps eBay is your friend...

For about $10 you can get a good used Canon A40 on eBay, I know its
TWAIN driver works on my XP box. Only 2MP, but pretty good quality for
a cheap pocket camera, way better than any 2MP web cam I've tried.

--
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

Paul Pedersen

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it.

Any idea whether it works on Vista?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> For about $10 you can get a good used Canon A40 on eBay, I know its
> TWAIN driver works on my XP box. Only 2MP, but pretty good quality for
> a cheap pocket camera, way better than any 2MP web cam I've tried.
>
> --
> (E-Mail Removed) is Joshua Putnam
> <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>
> Updated Infrared Photography Gallery:
> <http://www.phred.org/~josh/photo/ir.html>

Paul Pedersen

I went to Fry's yesterday and asked for their best digital camera expert. I
asked him which cameras come with a twain driver. He looked at me like I was
from Mars and had asked for a skjioimneejfas.

Neither he nor anyone else in the department had ever heard of twain. I
guess that means it's not a common feature.

"Paul Pedersen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know people have asked this before, but I haven't seen a satisfactory
>answer.
>
> What do I need to do, what kind of camera do I have to buy, to use it as a
> web cam? I need to take portrait photos, still pictures (I don't need
> movies), directly into the computer where I can handle them with software
> that acts through TWAIN.
>
> An actual webcam works fine in this manner, but the picture quality is
> just too low. I need better resolution, focus, color, etc. Not
> super-duper, but definitely better than I can get with a standard webcam.
>
> I've seen ID photo cameras for sale, but they are expensive and come with
> lot of specialty software that I have no use for. A $100 digicam would be
> great, if only it came with a TWAIN driver.
>
> Any suggestions?

ReplyingToIdiot

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:37:00 -0700, "Paul Pedersen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I went to Fry's yesterday and asked for their best digital camera expert. I
>asked him which cameras come with a twain driver. He looked at me like I was
>from Mars and had asked for a skjioimneejfas.
>
>Neither he nor anyone else in the department had ever heard of twain. I
>guess that means it's not a common feature.
>

>"Paul Pedersen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I know people have asked this before, but I haven't seen a satisfactory
>>answer.
>>
>> What do I need to do, what kind of camera do I have to buy, to use it as a
>> web cam? I need to take portrait photos, still pictures (I don't need
>> movies), directly into the computer where I can handle them with software
>> that acts through TWAIN.
>>
>> An actual webcam works fine in this manner, but the picture quality is
>> just too low. I need better resolution, focus, color, etc. Not
>> super-duper, but definitely better than I can get with a standard webcam.
>>
>> I've seen ID photo cameras for sale, but they are expensive and come with
>> lot of specialty software that I have no use for. A $100 digicam would be
>> great, if only it came with a TWAIN driver.
>>
>> Any suggestions?

Don't you people ever read any other posts but your own threads? The information
below has been posted in various threads many times now. The last time just two
threads away from this one. Though I wonder why I'm trying to help obvious blind
idiots that are most likely trying to find a way to show their little dick to
others. Hint: I heard if you use the wide-angle mode up close you might be able
to impress someone that's not too smart. Just don't put your hand in the field
of view for comparision or your intended effect will be lost. I am reminded of a
video-conference for a class lecture one time where someone with a wide-angled
webcam showed up with the standard dickhead crotch-shot, his chosen screen-name
was "HUGE". He made the mistake of putting his hand in the view. We all laughed
when realizing his name was refering to his hand size.

Here you go wankers! Here's how you can use your camera for a webcam:

(recopied from a copy of a previous copy of another copy of a post that was
copied from a copy)

> [...]
>>
>>Any of the Canon cameras below, for example, can be used this way, and the
>>signal they transmit is free and clear of any viewfinder icons and other
>>onscreen info. Use software like "Cam4you Remote", "Granite Bay Time-Lapse", or
>>"PSRemote" and turn on its camera-viewfinder display option. Then use a program
>>like WebCamMax (or others) that allow you to overlay a capture area anywhere on
>>your desktop to act as a web-cam. Retransmit your desktop's view-finder display
>>from PSRemote, Time-Lapse, or Cam4you Remote with WebCamMax. There are many
>>programs that do this, WebCamMax just seems to be the most versatile (from what
>>I've found). The upside of doing this is that you have full control of all
>>features of your Canon camera through the remote-capture software: exposure,
>>special effects, sepia, b&w, etc., including remote control of the macro-modes,
>>focus, and zoom lens so you can have a fully controllable web-cam all operated
>>from your computer.
>>
>>The following Canon cameras are supported by Cam4you Remote (the most advanced
>>of the remote-capture programs). Some may not provide for a viewfinder preview
>>mode, if they have an electronic viewfinder (EFV) or LCD for composing a shot,
>>then they probably do provide the necessary signal for a PC screen preview in
>>the remote-control software.
>>
>>PowerShot A10, PowerShot A20, PowerShot A30, PowerShot A40, PowerShot A60,
>>PowerShot A70, PowerShot A75, PowerShot A80, PowerShot A85, PowerShot A95
>>PowerShot A100, PowerShot A200, PowerShot A300, PowerShot A310, PowerShot A400,
>>PowerShot A510, PowerShot A520, PowerShot A620, PowerShot A640
>>PowerShot S30, PowerShot S40, PowerShot S45, PowerShot S50,
>>PowerShot S60, PowerShot S70, PowerShot S80
>>PowerShot S100, IXY DIGITAL, DIGITAL IXUS
>>PowerShot S110, IXY DIGITAL 200, DIGITAL IXUS v
>>PowerShot S200, IXY DIGITAL 200a, DIGITAL IXUS v2
>>PowerShot S230, IXY DIGITAL 320, DIGITAL IXUS v3
>>PowerShot S300, IXY DIGITAL 300, DIGITAL IXUS 300
>>PowerShot S400, IXY DIGITAL 400, DIGITAL IXUS 400
>>PowerShot S410, IXY DIGITAL 450, DIGITAL IXUS 430
>>PowerShot S500, IXY DIGITAL 500, DIGITAL IXUS 500
>>PowerShot SD100, IXY DIGITAL 30, DIGITAL IXUS II
>>PowerShot SD110, IXY DIGITAL 30a, DIGITAL IXUS IIs
>>PowerShot G1, PowerShot G2, PowerShot G3, PowerShot G5, PowerShot G6,
>>PowerShot G7
>>PowerShot Pro90 IS
>>PowerShot S1 IS, PowerShot S2 IS, Powershot S3 IS
>>PowerShot Pro1
>>EOS 1D Mark II, EOS 20D, EOS 1Ds Mark II
>>EOS Kiss Digital N/350D/REBEL XT
>>EOS 5D, EOS 1D Mark II N, EOS 30D
>>EOS Kiss Digital X/400D/REBEL XTi
>>
>>The following EOS cameras are supported up to Cam4you remote version 1.1 but I
>>don't know if they provide for a viewfinder preview mode.
>>
>>EOS-1D, EOS-1Ds, EOS D30, EOS D60, EOS 10D
>>EOS Kiss Digital, EOS Digital Rebel, EOS 300D
>>EOS-1D Mark II, EOS 20D, EOS-1Ds Mark II,
>>EOS Kiss Digital N, EOS Digital Rebel XT, EOS 350D

Trbo Trbo is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Pedersen View Post
I know people have asked this before, but I haven't seen a satisfactory
answer.

What do I need to do, what kind of camera do I have to buy, to use it as a
web cam? I need to take portrait photos, still pictures (I don't need
movies), directly into the computer where I can handle them with software
that acts through TWAIN.

An actual webcam works fine in this manner, but the picture quality is just
too low. I need better resolution, focus, color, etc. Not super-duper, but
definitely better than I can get with a standard webcam.

I've seen ID photo cameras for sale, but they are expensive and come with
lot of specialty software that I have no use for. A $100 digicam would be
great, if only it came with a TWAIN driver.

Any suggestions?

I have just came across your post, and next to it there was an add banner that I followed and got to the needed solution

I installed the Unitwain from the TerminalWorks company and I will probably purchase it in the next days if it turns out good. I tried it with 4 webcams already installed in my network and now they are usable in my business application. finally a useful advertisement