Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > windows 2003 server r2 x64 installation problem

windows 2003 server r2 x64 installation problem

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFNhdW5kZXJz?=

I am attempting to load Windows 2003 Server R2 x64 Standard edition on a
brand new server (2.4ghz Xeon processor with EMT64). I am using the version
of software from the MSDN package.

When I boot from CD and the options to install the O/S show up, I am not
given a choice to load the x64 edition only the Standard edition with no x64
designation which I must assume is the 32bit version.

I am wondering if I should see an x64 designation on the option screen when
choosing to load the O/S. If I am, I cannot for the life of me figure out
why I am not given this option from the boot/load menu. Is it possible that
some other bootable cd must be made for this version from the MSDN cd?

I cannot find any other information or anyone else in my situation.
Appreciate any help. Thanks

Charlie Russel - MVP

There's a known issue with all of the x64 MSDN DVDs and so far as I know it
still hasn't been solved. The only solution is to use the ISO image versions
and burn a regular CD (or in the case of R2, pair of CDs).

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Rob Saunders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am attempting to load Windows 2003 Server R2 x64 Standard edition on a
> brand new server (2.4ghz Xeon processor with EMT64). I am using the
> version
> of software from the MSDN package.
>
> When I boot from CD and the options to install the O/S show up, I am not
> given a choice to load the x64 edition only the Standard edition with no
> x64
> designation which I must assume is the 32bit version.
>
> I am wondering if I should see an x64 designation on the option screen
> when
> choosing to load the O/S. If I am, I cannot for the life of me figure out
> why I am not given this option from the boot/load menu. Is it possible
> that
> some other bootable cd must be made for this version from the MSDN cd?
>
> I cannot find any other information or anyone else in my situation.
> Appreciate any help. Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFNhdW5kZXJz?=

Charlie,

Thanks for the response. I actually figured this out, created the CD's from
the images, but I am still stuck. For the record, I believe the problem is
solved with the update that came out on 9/7 on the dvd you atleast now get
the choice to install the x64 version but I get the same problem as below.

After having made the cd's from the ISO images the installation process
starts fine. When I get to the point to enter the CD key I run into a
problem.

The CD Keys that were distributed to us in the MSDN subscription are coming
up "invalid" when I enter them at the required point during the installation
process for the x64 version. I also tried entering the x32 key but that
didnt work either. The other complaint I have is that I get no warm and
fuzzy feeling or see anything distinctive about the installation process that
shows I am actually installing the x64 version other then the initial cd boot
menu screen. SO, now I can get to a point where a key is required, but I
dont have a key that seems to work.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> There's a known issue with all of the x64 MSDN DVDs and so far as I know it
> still hasn't been solved. The only solution is to use the ISO image versions
> and burn a regular CD (or in the case of R2, pair of CDs).
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Rob Saunders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am attempting to load Windows 2003 Server R2 x64 Standard edition on a
> > brand new server (2.4ghz Xeon processor with EMT64). I am using the
> > version
> > of software from the MSDN package.
> >
> > When I boot from CD and the options to install the O/S show up, I am not
> > given a choice to load the x64 edition only the Standard edition with no
> > x64
> > designation which I must assume is the 32bit version.
> >
> > I am wondering if I should see an x64 designation on the option screen
> > when
> > choosing to load the O/S. If I am, I cannot for the life of me figure out
> > why I am not given this option from the boot/load menu. Is it possible
> > that
> > some other bootable cd must be made for this version from the MSDN cd?
> >
> > I cannot find any other information or anyone else in my situation.
> > Appreciate any help. Thanks

Charlie Russel - MVP

That you'll have to discuss with MSDN. Mine work fine.